Start by marking “To Perish In Penzance (Dorothy Martin, #7)” as Want to Read:
To Perish In Penzance (Dorothy Martin, #7)

To Perish In Penzance (Dorothy Martin #7)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
To Perish in Penzance (Dorothy Martin Mysteries, No. 7)
Published September 30th 2001 by Walker & Company (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about To Perish In Penzance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Perish In Penzance

Anne
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Sweet & Easy read (or listen as I did in 2002 via tape) - read by Kate Reading.
Madelyn
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Another mystery by Jeanne M. Dams. Dorothy Martin and Alan Nesbitt, Dorothy's now retired chief constable husband decide to take a vacation to look into an unsolved mystery that had happened more than thirty years earlier. Then, a new mystery happens that they need to uncover.
Bonnie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dorothy and Alan are in their home in Sherebury, England and the rain is falling and falling. In fact, it has been raining for days. They start talking about his career as a Chief Constable and he tells Dorothy about a case he had thirty years ago that he could not solve and it still bothers him. The girl had been about twenty years old with long blond hair and her body was found a few days after she fell from the cliffs to her death on the rocks below. The action of the water and sea life made ...more
Susan
To Perish in Penzance by Jeanne M. Dams is the 7th book of the Dorothy Martin mystery series set in late-20th-century England. Dorothy is a transplanted American, in love with her adopted country and her husband Alan, a retired chief constable. An unsolved case from 30 years ago, when he was a new detective in his native Cornwall, still bothers him. The present-day incessant rain at their home in Sherebury bothers Dorothy. The sun is shining in Cornwall...so she hatches a plot to get Alan back t ...more
Ellen
To Perish in Penzance by Jeanne M. Dams.

This adventure takes Dorothy and husband Alan on a holiday turned murder case in Penzance. Alan has had an unsolved murder case n the back of his mind for years. thirty years to be exact. That case had taken place in Penzance among the many caves.
Upon entering Penzance they came into contact with other people on holiday. Among those people were an elderly woman and her daughter. Strange observations about that pair stood out in Dorothy's mind.

Shortly the
Marcia
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, x2015
Actual Rating: ***1/2

A strong entry in the Dorothy Martin series where we learn much more about Alan's background and police career.

Opening lines:
September in England can be quite a lovely time of the year. The roses pretend that June is only just past, the trees cling to their green summer drapery, the flower beds delight both eye and nose with their extravagant profusion. Days have grown a bit shorter, true, but twilight lingers long in sweet, gentle melancholy, and when night comes, the air
Sherrill Watson
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Dorothy and Alan go to Penzance to solve an old murder. They meet a visitor, Eleanor Crosby who is dying of cancer, John Boleigh, and many of Alan's old working buddies. They call him Captain and give him deference, which is useful. There is a rave club in town, Eleanor has a daughter, Mr. Boleigh has a granddaughter, there are a lot of drugs, etc. Old nazi treasures were hidden in a cave. Ill-gotten gains, hocked on the black market by . . . well, it was only a LITTLE predictable.
Judith
I really enjoy Jeanne Dam's Dorothy Martin mysteries, almost a Miss Marple type story but Dorothy is an American, relocated in England and now married to retired Police Dective Alan Nesbitt. Such great characters and in this particular story, they are working together to solve a cold case of Alan's (quietly aiding the police in his home town)as well as a new murder.
Violet
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
This author is a very prolific writer and I am thoroughly enjoying all. I really like her main character, Dorothy Martin, an American widow who married a retired British constable and now makes her home in England. Dorothy is a great sleuth and, along with her husband, Alan, keeps us in suspense until the very end.
Cynthia I Maddox
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this one last night. As usually, I really liked the story. The ending was a bit contrived, I think. It just was sort of neatly tied up and I don't really like that kind of ending. Narrated endings are boring and this is the first one that left me annoyed. I'm going to watch the next few to see if this tend continues.
Addie Martinez
Aug 30, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: old and young
Recommended to Addie by: from her list of books
A trully fantastic book on adventure. Couldnt put the book down. Just love the chemistry between Dorothy and Alan. They are such a fun couple. I appreciated the the notes on history, georaphy, phycholgy.
Judy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Dorothy Martin helps her retired police inspector husband solve an unsolved case from early in his career, back in his home territory of Cornwall. In the process they also end up solving several current crimes. If you like cozies set in England, check this series out.
Mary Anne
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
audiobook
Kathie H
Sep 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I love books set in Cornwall. I also enjoy the Dorothy Martin character in these stories. As I age I can relate to an "upper-middle-aged" female sleuth!
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Martin #7
Tacey
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This one seemed extremely predictable; bummer.
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Charming couple and pleasant reading.
J
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Easy reading mystery series.
Cindy
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a great read and not at all what I expected. I loved the setting and the pace, believable characters. All good stuff.
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Again, just a good, clean mystery with a surprising ending.
Susan Earle
rose
Sep 10, 2012
Mel
Jun 13, 2016
  • The Tale of Hawthorn House (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #4)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
  • The Alpine Hero (Emma Lord, #8)
  • You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2)
  • Aunt Dimity Goes West  (Aunt Dimity #12)
  • Murder Most Malicious (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #1)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
  • English Country House Murders:  Classic Crime Fiction of Britain's Upper Crust
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs Pollifax #8)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials (Singaporean Mystery #2)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
Jeanne M. Dams lives in South Bend, Indiana. The Body in the Transept, which introduced Dorothy Martin, won the Agatha Award for Best First Novel. Dams is also the author of Green Grow the Victims and other Hilda Johansson mysteries published by Walker & Company.
More about Jeanne M. Dams...

Dorothy Martin (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Trouble In The Town Hall (Dorothy Martin, #2)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • Malice In Miniature (Dorothy Martin, #4)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • Killing Cassidy (Dorothy Martin, #6)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Winter Of Discontent (Dorothy Martin, #9)
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)

“There is sadness and evil in the world, yes. There is also goodness and beauty and justice. The one is as real as the other, and we must keep that fact firmly in mind or lose all sense of proportion.” 2 likes
“Sometime I'll get around to asking why the English nobility have so blasted many names that a conversation about them is like reading a Russian novel. I have a private suspicion it's done on purpose to confuse foreigners.” 1 likes