Start by marking “The Monster Who Did My Math” as Want to Read:
The Monster Who Did My Math

The Monster Who Did My Math

A mathphobic boy faces another dreaded evening of multiplication when a monster suddenly appears in his room and offers him a deal he cannot refuse. After a quick signature on a contract, the boy's problems are solved, and his homework is ready to turn in the next day. At first, everything adds up perfectly. But when the boy's math knowledge is tested at school, his troubl ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Who Did My Math, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Who Did My Math

Terry
This is a very clever, useful book. This is not a story about how to do math; it is a book about why math is important and how it fits in our daily life. Parents and teachers alike will nod their head at the lessons the book offers. The author introduces a number of math terms and themes, including money, counting, adding, and subtracting. The rhyming is clever and very well done, and the illustrations are vivid and expressive. The book has great potential to engage reluctant and remedial reader ...more
Lauras
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fun read-aloud for 3rd-4th grades.
Ms Threlkeld
Entertaining, strong rhyme scheme, and relevant to kids' anxiety around math. Good classroom read aloud.
Diane
"You kids of today are pathetic and lazy. Your minds are all mooshy. Your morals are hazy."

A boy finds out that it may be easier to let the monster do his homework, but that doesn't help him much when he gets called on to work the problems in class.
Danielle
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
All this young boy wants is to finish his math without agonizing over it for hours. When his fears and dread finally get the best of him he breaks down and signs a contract he shouldn’t have. As the monster who came to his rescue continues to “help” he finally discovers his love for adding and subtracting, but will it be too late? Not reading the fine print can get you into quite a bit of trouble, but knowing how to add things up may get this little boy out of hot water.

First of all, look at tha
Angela
Best for kids ages 6 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness

From cover:
There once was a time I was frightened by numbers. They scared me at school and they haunted my slumbers. My brain had some kind of allergic reaction to multiplication ... addition ... subtraction.
What's the best solution to thin numerical dilemma? One boy adds a monster to the equation - a monster who does his math homework for him. After a quick signature on a contract, the boy's pr
Karina
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is about a young boy who does anything and everything to avoid doing math, even if it means to make a horrible deal with a monster. The monster does all of the boy's math homework and at first it seems perfect, but then the boy realizes that he isn't learning a single thing when it's his turn to do a math problem on the board in front of the class. The boy ends up having to pay the monster off and uses subtraction, one of his worst nightmares. Finally the boy gets rid of the monster a ...more
Ashleycarolhall O'Toole
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really cute!
Covered a lot of math words and some adding with decimals ~ too far above my son's math level but he still loved the story!
I liked the moral :)
I was hoping for more math as part of the story like 7+5
And then 12-6

My son is young
Chelsea Ulrich
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is a good motivator for students who are struggling with math. It offers a good message about being patient with math and not giving up. I think that this could be used with any grade level but more importantly for students who are feeling that they can't be successful at math. I could see class discussion beginning with the reasons you shouldn't be discouraged about math and I could see using this book as an opportunity to begin that discussion.
Codie Gates
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One little boy hates math and calls on a monster to help do his homework. It all works out fine until the teacher asks him to do some work on the board. When he can't pull through, he goes home to scold the monster. The math monster takes all the boys money, and he is still short two fifty-two. So he scrounges around until he finds enough. He then starts his math homework and learns that it isn't so bad.

A great book for students who might be having trouble being comfortable with math.
Savannah
I really liked this book. It doesn't have anything to do with math specifically but it is about a boy who allows a monster to do his work and the later on he realizes how important it is for him to learn the work himself. Its good to use when discussing how important it is to learn math and doing homework.
Kate Hastings
Grades 2-4. Picture Book. A boy gets nervous and upset every time he has to do math homework, but then a monster does his work for him and he starts getting good grades. The only problem? He hasn’t learned anything. A good book for kids with math phobias that need a little encouragement to soldier on. Also a lesson in how cheating doesn’t pay.
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is not one of my favorite books to read with the students, but I can see why the boys would love to read this book. Since there's a monster that does all the homeword, they would always comment about how they would love to have their pet robot. It can be a good writing exercise for the students and the students are able to express their thoughts on a paper.
Brittnee
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
cute book of a boy singing a contract so he does not have to do his homework. yet when he is tested on his math at school the next day he realizes he doesnt know anything!! good book for showing children they need to do their work so they can learn all the can!
Malika J.
Super silly book! Talks about the importance of doing your own work. Rhyming and prediction are prevalent throughout. Sam continues to talk about this book and how the kid was bad for not doing his own work.
Andrea Retana
This a significant book to teach kids how to do math and how important math for life. It also teaches rhyming, counting, adding, and subtracting. It a good source to motive students who are struggling with math.
Linda Costello
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
A monster comes to do this student's math homework. The only problem is that when the student needs to do math at the board he is embarrased. The student finds that as he actually does his math homework it becomes easier. Great for math vocabulary
Isela
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Other themes: not to cheat

I enjoyed reading this story because it had many rhyming words, math themes and the plot. The character made a contract with a monster, to do his homework. The boy learned that about the consequences of cheating.
Sandy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute, fun, book full of rhyme and rhythm. Great book for any math-a-phobic kids out there (or their parents).

My only caveat is that I don't care for the "What the heck." line, but it rhymed with speck so there you go.
Devan Watson
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny book and uses math to discuss important lessons that are taught by a math monster. It also introduces basic math concepts like decimals, addition, and subtraction. I would use this book as a fun and engaging text to introduce these themes.
Cathy
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to teach consequences. Having someone else do your homework truly does cost you in the end - and more than just money.
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious! One of the few books that will unfailingly make both me and my son laugh out loud!
Rita
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is a great way to motivate students about math. The book shows that math is everywhere! It takes the anxiety out of math.
Jennifer Parker
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
to sum it up... you cannot divide and conquer your math homework...or things won't add up. ( all puns intended:-) )
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
a bit scary
McKayla
Great to motivate students who struggle with math!!
Carol
Geddy read to self 1/28/15- gives it 4 stars.
MJ
ODC this copy
Kim
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Nice rhyming story. Would be good for school age kids, but not storytime. Monster does his math homework, but the kid discovers he doesn't learn anything so he goes back to doing it himself.
Suzanne
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations! Maybe not the best bedtime book, but now we know...Monsters do math!
« previous 1 3 4 next »