Start by marking “A Girl Could Stand Up” as Want to Read:
A Girl Could Stand Up

A Girl Could Stand Up

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Surprising and wise, A Girl Could Stand Up is a novel bristling with charm.Marshall's exuberant imagination enchants the reader, while a deep current ofwisdom lends ballast to an exhilarating story.
Published May 26th 2004 by Grove Press (first published May 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Could Stand Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Could Stand Up

janetandjohn
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elray is 6 when her parents perish in a freak accident, and she is looked after by two odd uncles, one the brother of her mother, the other the brother of her father. How Elray handles the awful loss, and how she learns what love is, love of family friends and herself, is the basis of this book. A good one.
Saar
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is one of my favourite books ever, and has been for a long time now.
I fell in love with the characters (Elray and Hansueli being my favourites!) and keep on hinting at my family to read it :).
After reading this book and being drawn by it's quirky and loveable ways I'm still convinced that if I ever have a little girl, it will be an Elray.
Cheyenne Blue
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, loved, loved, loved it.

Elray is 6 years old when she reaches up to touch the moon in the tunnel of love and accidentally electrocutes her parents. She goes to live with her Uncle Harwood and her Auntie Ajax (who's technically her Uncle Ajax).

The story fits loosely into Weird-Little-Girl-Growing-Up stories, but it's so much more than that. Elray is a wonderful narrator; quirky, funny, thoughtful, off-beat. The characters are wonderful, a mish-mash of the dysfunctional in all sorts
A.B. Shepherd
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a bit different from anything I've read before. Elray is a very unique child. She is very insightful and observant for her age. I loved all the characters in this book, but especially Auntie Ajax. The author's perspective on some difficult life situations actually fall in line with some of mine which is a refreshing change of pace. Glad I picked this one up at the used book sale at my library. :)
Joan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and its wacky, lovable but unconventional characters. It's a wild,thrilling, sometimes sad others joyful ride through their unusual but loving family. You don't need a conventional upbringing or family to have a great life, be a good person and no harm done.
Rachael
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nope. After 50+ pages, I had to stop.
Rebecca
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great booksale scoop! A Girl Could Stand Up is weird, quirky, textured, and interesting. It took me quite a while to get through it (granted, busy days, but it's not a fast read), but I was hooked from the start. It reminds me of Tell the Wolves I'm Home/Member of the Wedding/something by Anne Tyler with overtones of Ann Patchett. It wasn't "amazing" (as the five star label translates), but it is an excellent book in its startling originality and uncompromising story-telling. I just didn ...more
Ian Mapp
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad book - following a similar quirky feel seen in John Irving and and the William Konsalski - Eddies Bastards books.

Elray is 6 years old when her parents are killed on the tunnel of love.

She then lives with her unkles - one a cross dresser and one a hard drinker and strikes a fairly morbid relationship with a young boy.

The book follows her youth and other characters introduced include an irish solictor who become pregnant by one of the uncles, all of this revealed in a court case called b
Alexis
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved, loved, loved the main character of this quirky coming-of-age novel. Six year old Elray is orphaned and ends up being raised by her mother's brother (who is her cross-dressing aunt Ajax) and her father's brother. This dysfunctional family ends up being very lovable and surprisingly functional even. I enjoyed their family rituals (like "Crawlspace Day") and the constant but relatively harmless drama. I also thought the relationship with her friend Raoul was brilliantly portrayed and full ...more
Ritta
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book is in equal parts quirky and ridiculous, which made for a very entertaining read. It follows the life of Elray, a girl who becomes an orphan with 6 years old and goes to live with her aunt Ajax and uncle Harwood and all of it is told in a very original and yet unrealistic way. I loved the characters and the way they were all so unique and fun but as I read it I was constantly thinking to myself "what the hell is this?! why am i reading this??". Well, I think the answer is: though it's ...more
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
I just found this book to be very unbelievable. Everything was taken to an extreme, from the names (Elray, Ajax, Harwood...no one had a "normal" name) to the situations that the characters ended up in. I felt like the author wanted this to be a story you could connect with, but she made everything a little too out-there for that to happen.
Bennet van der Gryp
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
A book I lost somewhere along the way while growing up and recently rediscovered. I found it randomly on a hunt for a good book to read when I was very young, the artful cover speaking volumes to my young self and becoming one of my favourite impulse buys. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, regardless of what genre you prefer. You'll love it.
Blarney, Its
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I randomly grabbed this book off of an eye level shelf in the library. I read it and fell in love with the characters. It was a little confusing at first (the Ajax situation), but I'd forgotten to read what it was about on the jacket first :) That was about 3 months ago and I still cannot get the book out of my head. It's definitely one of my all time favorites now.
Ozma
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-copy
This book was interesting, different. Very original storyline about two uncles who take care of their orphaned niece. One of the uncles is a drag queen. I just couldn't quite get into the storyline, but, it's been years since I read it, and I still remember it.
Ms M
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one one of the most unique kind of plots I've ever experienced. It's also a sort of coming of age story but everyone in the book is so eccentric that it avoids some of the less interesting parts of adolescence. It was a great read.
Erin
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a sweet, eccentric, sad book. This is not a "true to life realistic" book so if that's what you're looking for this one is not for you. I loved the characters -- their quirks, thoughts, failings and the goodness in most of them if you looked in the right place.
Tearson
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clever fun read!
Elizabeth
This book started off strong and I was engaged right away, then it lost it's oomph. I didn't feel like there was a point. The characters were interesting, but a little bit unrealistic.
Lindsay Briden
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story where it is not hard to fall in love with the main character. As your sympathy grows, your ties to the story strengthens and its hard to put it down.
Katturd
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I fall in love with it every time I read it. It makes me laugh, cry, and lets me reflect on so many points of our day to day lives. It is perfect.
Heather
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
story from a young girl's perspective. humorous. i am drawn to books written in this perspective for some reason!
Patty Elliott
My coworker loaned me this book. She said this is one of her favorite books of 2007!
Tamara
Nov 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-reads
This was one I just picked up by the title/back cover description... so glad I did... really great book. I love when I find gems
Susan
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully quirky story.
Heather
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about loss and rebirth, and about what family really means. A wonderful offbeat story which I recommend to anyone who is looking for an uplifting story.
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend sent me an advanced copy of this and it was a lovely surprise. Try it!
Libby
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked the story line of this book, but found it surprisingly hard to get through. In the end, though, it's a great story with well-developed characters.
Kethra
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books of all time! The characters are fantastic, it had laugh and cry out loud moments, this coming of age story is like no other.
Katie Reilly
rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2009
Cindy
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Feminisms: An Anthology of Literary Theory and Criticism
  • Frames of War: When Is Life Grievable?
  • The Curious Feminist: Searching for Women in a New Age of Empire
  • Cuarteles de invierno
  • Aristotle and Poetic Justice
  • Becky: The Life and Loves of Becky Thatcher
  • The Mammoth Hunters, Part 1 of 2 (Earth's Children, #3)
  • Luisito: Una storia d'amore
  • Necessary Targets
  • Journey to the Alcarria: Travels through the Spanish Countryside
  • Methodology of the Oppressed
  • Storia di una lumaca che scoprì l'importanza della lentezza
  • The Wilde Women
  • The Death of a Beekeeper
  • O Papalagui: Discursos de Tuiavii Chefe de Tribo de Tiavéa nos Mares do Sul
  • The Scribe
  • Consuming Passions: A Food-Obsessed Life
  • SPQR II: The Catiline Conspiracy (SPQR, #2)