Start by marking “The Birth” as Want to Read:
The Birth

The Birth

(Chronicles of Heaven #3)

The tale of the Incarnation as seen in heaven and on earth.
Published May 14th 2012 by Seedsowers (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Birth

Start your review of The Birth
Susie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this retelling of the Christmas story. There are some good twists in vantage point to make you think about things a bit differently. My only peeve, why does everybody think Mary rode on a donkey?
Kelle Treadwell
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
An awesome story of the birth of Jesus Christ. Both powerful and amusing.
Jane Almond
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in just over an hour. And I'll read it again.

I normally don't read imaginative stories like this but I was attracted by the mystical descriptions and impacted by the storytelling ability of Mr Edwards from the start.

His insights into the reality of the heavenly realms are throughly biblical - the two creations, the Door, the cherubim, the Magi and the characters' reactions to events were human and real. The story unfolded well and even though we might know it well, it releases new
Dottie Parish
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Birth tells the story of the birth of Christ from heaven’s perspective. This is a fascinating short but powerful book about the events of the incarnation – the invasion of God into human form as the baby Jesus. We discover the excited and significant roles the angels played as they realized something new was about to happen and they are instructed to be messengers to Mary and Joseph and then to appear to the shepherds. The story is told in historical sequence and shows the concerns of Joseph ...more
Ginger
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gene Edwards is such a beautiful, poetic writer. These familiar stories, told from the perspective of the heavenly hosts, give me goosebumps. And this is a human, flawed, tiny glimpse of the view from heaven, but it is majestic. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

This particular volume of the Chronicles of Heaven series would be a wonderful re-read every Christmas.
Barbara
It is fair to call this a midrash of the Gospel. It moves quickly through the story so familiar to those who have grown up with the annual readings of the Narratives of the Incarnation, offering one person's impression of the angelic beings as well as the relationship between the Holy Mother and Joseph, her betrothed and protecting husband.
Amy
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I truly did like this book and I am amazed at the insightfulness and comprehension that the author has into what could have truly occurred in the angelic realm during the events surrounding the birth of Jesus. I only gave it 4 stars because it is not nearly as good as the other books in the series, but still well worth the read!
Karen
Jan 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The story of the birth of Jesus as told from the perspective of the angels. A short fiction book that has a great deal of Truth. Fabulous to read around Christmas because it makes you really appreciate the sacrifice.
Donna Pingry
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every Christmas and Easter season, I reread the whole series. Gene Edwards is a fantastic author whose words make my mind grasp the old familiar stories in new, exciting ways.
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Angela by: my mom
It is an amazing book of the Birth of Christ from the eyes of God.
Awesome work.
Larry
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
The birth of Jesus from heaven's point of view (the entire series is awesome)!!
Gill Wyatt
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully creative. Brings the story of the nativity to life.
Gary
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining, insightful and thought-provoking "Christian" read. Must be taken as a fictional novel based on a considerable amount of Biblical fact. Above all, moving and inspiring!
Grete
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Thrilling moments interspersed with clunky and ill-thought-out bits. Twice poor baby Jesus is clean forgotten and dropped while Mary, who was holding him, does her own thing.
Olivia

• Worship Old and New
  • Common Roots: The Original Call to an Ancient-Future Faith
  • Hallowed Be This House
  • The Bulletproof George Washington
  • Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books
  • Choosing a Bible: Understanding Bible Translation Differences
  • The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine
  • A Visitor for Bear
  • Tulip: The Five Points of Calvinism in the Light of Scripture
  • The Joys of Beekeeping
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor
  • A Story for Bear
  • The Living Shadow (The Shadow #1)
  • The Mouse That Roared (The Mouse That Roared, #1)
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
  • All in Color for a Dime
Gene Edwards is one of America's most beloved Christian authors. He has published over 25 best-selling books, and his signature work, "The Divine Romance," has been called a masterpiece of Christian literature. He has written biblical fiction covering nearly the entire Bible, with titles that include the following: "The Beginning," "The Escape," "The Birth," "The Divine Romance," "The Triumph," ...more

Chronicles of Heaven (5 books)
  • The Beginning
  • The Escape
  • The Triumph (Chronicles of Heaven)
  • The Return