Start by marking “The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History” as Want to Read:
The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History

The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History

Two Thousand Years of Church History
From Nero's burning of Rome to the twentieth-century charismatic renewal, this book highlights, in journalistic style, the major people, events, and ideas that have shaped the long history of Christianity. Packed with information it is certain to breathe new life into church history. This book makes a valuable resource for pastors,
Published March 1st 1998 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Gladys S. Yes - Catherine of Siena; Elizabeth Fry and others who played a part in the history of establishing church history.

Start your review of The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History
Ebookwormy1
Curtis, Lang & Peterson chronological snap shots provide an overview of 2,000 years of church history. Articles of 1-2 pages in length provide general context, historical accounts, and brief conclusions about the impact of the event from a Protestant perspective. The language/ writing style is a bit high, and some of the events themselves are complex (and dealt with sparingly) putting the book at junior high to high school reading/ maturity level. Of course, adults will benefit too, and that ...more
Kevin Artan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this years ago & it's definitely worth rereading often! Quick, readable, & important!

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it!"

Or also, in this case, not appreciate & build upon it!
Adam Calvert
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This was an excellent read and a truly great survey of church history. There were two things I found especially significant from the authors' take on how to prepare this work: (1) they include things one would not immediately recognize as a major contributor to church history (ex. The Synod of Whitby, 664; the births of Johann Sebastian Bach and George Frederic Handel, 1685); and (2) they are very up-front with the reader that their word is in no way final on the 100 most important events in ...more
Ben Geib
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
While this book does not stand alone as a scholarly resource by any means, it does serve as a general, and helpful, introduction to church history and the impact Christianity has had on its cultural contexts.
James Hutton
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History by A. Kenneth Curtis, J. Stephen Lang, and Randy Petersen seeks to accomplish a very difficult task. That is to provide a fair list of the 100 most important events in Christian history in just over 200 pages. At the beginning of this review it is necessary to point out two things. First, all of these events are outside of the New Testament. They begin with the Great Fire of Rome in 64 AD and continue from there. Second, they are presented in ...more
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a snap shot of historical events in the life of the Christian church. As the author noted, these are his 100 most important events, and others may choose differently. But I appreciated the fact that it introduced me to some events of which I was not aware, and it put in context the dates of the events and how many related to others.
Gina
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Major caveat: this should be titled "The 100 Most Important Events in Western European and United States Christian History". It breaks up a lengthy subject into 100 bite-sized mini-chapters, but only focuses on Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the British Isles, Switzerland, Spain, France, the Netherlands and the USA. The rest of the world is notably absent.
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's embarrassing how long it took me to get through this book. I find that books like this that are little stories are harder for me to sit and just read through then a big thick book on one subject. However, while this book is a bit dated, I really enjoyed learning about events in Christian history. Some of them I knew about, others inspired me with the newness.
Milton Quintanilla
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice intro to church history
Dave Wheeler
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief history of what the title says

I found this to be a great reference of key moments of Church history which is what the title says. You are not going to get a great in-depth account of everything leading up to this time. If you want that then you need to look elsewhere, what you do get it a brief history of key moments and a taste of what happened and often of the great sacrifices made so that we can have the freedom and tools available to us today. I enjoyed this trip through history with
Peter Jones
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
The early part of this book was better than the latter. The author did very little critical interaction with the events. The authors appear to be generally against organized religion and have a bias towards baptist thought. Their praise of J.N. Darby was almost more than I could handle. It was recommended to me for children learning the basic contours of the Christian faith. For this purpose it is well suited. But for in depth analysis look elsewhere.
Perry Coghlan III
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone over 13
Recommended to Perry by: My Sunday School
The first is a great summary of some key events. It was a great place to start teaching Church History to my family.

I used it as a jumping off point for study.

I did have issues with the neutral approach the authors took as well as the things they chose to include from the 20th century, yet over all I liked the book.
Joanna M.
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although there are very interesting and important historical events laid out in this book, it's validity is marred slightly by the poor writing and organization of the authors. Tenaciously, I read through it all, and overall the text was sorely lacking any type of those qualities which should make a book desirable to peruse.
Isaiah the Ox
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Isaiah the Ox by: Sonlight
Shelves: classic, christian
A simplified history of the Christian faith. The information was short, but informative, sometimes interesting, sometimes not so much. A great companion to The Story of Christianity.
Carrie
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a dandy little resource to grasp the scope of what occurred in the history of Christianity. While not in depth by any means, it gives a skeleton framework of the major players and events that took place. It was clearly written and organized well. I'll keep it!!!
Sarah Welton-Lair
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 14+
Recommended to Sarah by: Sonlight
Although a good overview of church history, this book was not engaging, was somewhat childlike in its writing style, and not particularly unique. Nothing stood out about it, but it did give good summaries of some of the more complicated issues that arose over time in the church.
D Murgatroyd
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight
Worth reading - very interesting insights as where different trains of thought in the Christian church originated
Derek
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice little tour through the history of Christianity.
Marieli
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
I didn't go to a Christian school, so there are gaps in education.
Carrie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great companion volume to go with "Church History in Plain English".
Dawn Roberts
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We read this over the course of two years with our history cycle. Very good survey with short summaries.
John
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent - providing an overview of the church from Christ to the present. Recommend for "overview" only...it is not an in depth, but likely very informative to the non-historian.
Jeffrey Howard
An reference guide to 100 important and interesting event.
William Dicks
It is a very easy introduction into church history. While I have some reservations on some conclusions regarding certain events in history, overall I think it is worth the time spent reading it.
Tom Siefert

• Anywhere That Is Wild: John Muir's First Walk to Yosemite
  • The Story of Christianity
  • The Compact History Of The Catholic Church
  • Whiskey When We're Dry
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • The Moody Handbook of Theology
  • The Book that Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization
  • Hello Love