Start by marking “A Christmas Bell for Anya” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Bell for Anya

A Christmas Bell for Anya

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
During the winter of 1917, all of Russia had fallen into dark and tumultuous times as the reign of the Czars came to a bitter and violent end. But in a small Siberian village famous for producing the finest Christmas bells in the world, the townspeople made their usual preparations for a Christmas tradition that went back many generations. For eight-year-old Anya and her w ...more
Published October 27th 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Bell for Anya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Bell for Anya

Hillary
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-355
This is one of the sweetest Christmas stories I have ever read. It's definitely a tear jerker, such a sweet sincere story. I love how it focuses on the meaning of Christmas and it has so much promise. Great to read to children not only to show that Christmas is centered on Christ, but it also shows us that we will all live again because of Jesus Christ. Fantastic if you have a love one that has recently passed away and won't be with you this Christmas.
Juergen John Roscher
Stephanie Crowther
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
I love almost all Christmas stories, and this book is no exception. For one, the story is very touching and reflects well the Christmas spirit that I have known and loved all my life. Second, the artwork is beautiful. I sure love a story that has beautiful illustrations to go along with the words. This book makes me ponder on the lives of close family members who have passed on and remember their love. It makes me want to do something and be someone they would be proud of. This would be an excel ...more
Rebecca Murphy
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
I originally picked up this book thinking it was one of Max Lucado's works. Obviously, it is not, but I was not disappointed. The story is heart-warming and reminds us to find joy in the midst of the worst circumstances. The illustrations and story line are beautiful. I would recommend this for children around third grade because it is a "heavier" story in meaning, but it is a wonderful addition to the holiday collection of anyone who loves holiday books.
Sheng Yang
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This was an incredible story. I really enjoy reading and spending extra time on this book. It is so beautiful not only the story, but the illustrations as well. The drawings looks so realistic that it makes me think it could just be an actual movie. The story was so gripping and sad that I could just not forget about it. It is a really heartfelt and heartwarming story for all for Christmas day. It really helps me appreciate it more.
Mommywest
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of our absolute favorite Christmas stories! A beautiful story that poignantly reminds us all that we can see our loved ones again because of our Savior. (Be sure to have a box of tissues handy. . .) Interesting personal note: our daughter, Ashley, was in the same class as Chris Stewart's daughter, Megan. She was the model for Anya in the illustrations, and portrayed Anya in one of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas concerts when this story was told.
Josi
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was most impressed with the illustrations throughout this book, they were beautifully executed and really added to the text. This story made me think of my favourite christmas short-story, the Christmas Orange, because it carried that nostalgic, heartfelt, and real emotion within it. Very touching dialogue as well and is a very inspirational appropriately themed christmas story.
Liesl Harr
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
A Christmas Bell for Anya is a great book to remember Christmas with. There are lots one can learn from it, as the Father deals with the lose of his daughter, and remembers Christmas. I have loved this book since we got it, and read it often during the Christmas season. It reminds us that there are people who are worse of than us, and to remember them this Christmas season.
Karen
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was so good. The artwork is so realistic and almost lifelike. The story is really sweet. I was not expecting how it ended (be prepared with some tissues) but it made me think and be grateful for everything around me. This is such a good book!
Bailey
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
I thought this was a beautiful story. Definitely a tear jerker. The illustrations were simply beautiful. It reminded me a lot of the story The Christmas Oranges. I would love to have this book in my holiday collection.
Teri
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Kind of sad story, but shows a fathers faith in Christ. A DVD came with it. Clare Bloom narrating and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It is written by Chris and Evie Stewart. Chris Stewart is the author of The Great and Terrible series.
Alyssa
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
A Christmas Bell for Anya is sweet and heartbreaking. Even though it made me tear up in the middle of class I still loved it! The artwork is incredible and the message is perfect. Oh dear... I am kind of crying as I write this review... I highly recommend this book it is beautiful.
Molly
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Molly by: Molly D
The first time I read this was aloud to my kids (5 & 2, but mostly just the 5-year-old was listening) and I hesitated to finish it when I got to the sad part. I was afraid it would open a can of worms, but so far so good. Very touching story.
Amberly
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
This book has been in our collection for a few years. We don't always get around to reading it every December. The message is very good but the story is sad and it's fiction. If it were true I would like it a lot more.
Ashley
This has to be one of my favorite Christmas stories. Every time I read this book I'm teary eyed by the end, especially when Anya's father says he was grateful to have had Anya as long as he did. I love the faith and love Anya has for her father. Also the amazing artwork makes the story even better.
Mashell
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite Christmas story. We read it, among others, each year and I save this one for last because it touches me so much.
Kelly
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite Christmas books. I like for them to be happy and light and this has a great moral and message but was not light and happy.
Alice
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4.5 stars Lovely message, nice illustrations. I Watched the DVD with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Claire Bloom as the narrators. Great Christmas Message!

Chandler
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the sweetest story! It is great for young children and adults-it is a timeless story about love. Highly recommed!
Linda
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Christmas books of all time. Love the message in the book.
Victoria
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweet story that was used on a Choir Christmas program of a Christmas in Russin 1917
Karissa
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-holidays
Beautiful pictures - loved the story line even though it was sad - it was inspiring.
Ashley
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 02-fantasy
Honestly, this book is pretty sad. But I feel like it is amazing story. Children will enjoy seeing how Anya goes through different things. I think they could relate to. And the pictures are GORGOUS!
Mary Meldrum
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
This is a heart warming and heart wrenching tale of a Father's love for his daughter. It tells the traditions of their culture and of the little girl's special wish.
Alisa
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of a bell ringer and his daughter in Russia that discover the birth of the Savior means even loved ones can live again.
Terrah
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cora
too dark for my kids. Ok for adults I guess, but not too much story development.
Molly
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Very tender Christmas story. Love the DVD that comes along with it. Touching and beautiful.
Ginny
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, juvenile
This was a beautiful and heart breaking story. With a hopeful ending. And the illustrations are simply wonderful.
Brenda
Mar 16, 2009
Elizabeth Gardner Johnson
Apr 09, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Chris Stewart is a bestselling author and world-record-setting Air Force pilot whose previous military techno-thrillers have been selected by the Book of the Month Club and published in six different countries. He is the author of the highly acclaimed series The Great and Terrible, as well as A Christmas Bell for Anya, which was performed with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir during their 2005 Christma ...more
More about Chris Stewart...