Start by marking “The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards, #1)

The Well of Tears

(The Dream Stewards #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
More than five hundred years have passed since the legendary age of Camelot and the Stewardry, the magical order charged with protecting the old ways of power and magic, has fallen into decay, disorder, and distrust.

Now Hywel, a new king promised by prophecy, has come to claim his crown. But as he journeys toward his throne, those preparing the way are besieged by agents
Published September 18th 2012 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Tears

Lucinda
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A dazzling debut of inspired imaginative vision that’s breathtakingly epic!

This truly sensational story had me hooked from the very first page, transporting me into the midst of a magical world filled with wonder and remarkable premise. Gloriously assured and intricately woven, the substantial plot was incredibly well crafted and contained rich, delicious detail as to paint a realistic picture. The author deftly interweaves amid the high/ epic fantasy a blend of mythology, magic and sword &
Mara
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
Serendipity is really the name of the game. I stumbled on The Wells of Tears on Netgalley. I was tempted, but also knew my TBR pile is humongous. So I debated: request or not to request?
I said to myself: what the hell, I have no reputation to protect on GR. I'm already known as a serial DNFer with a malicious streak of one star reviews...:)

Then I started reading, and I never stopped except once for dinner(we ended up ordering take away, as my butt refused to unglue itself from my reading armcha
Kushnuma
I received a free ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Well of Tears is book 1 in The Dream Stewards series.

I found it really hard to get into this book, although I found the actual plot and story-line to be quite intriguing. The book was going too slowly for me as well.
Tamara
DNF at 15%

I tried,ok? I really did. But I cant get into this book. Which is a shame because fantasy is one of my favorite genres!..

The idea was great. But the execution? Not so much. Too freaking slow beginning that was filled with TOO MUCH INFO DUMPING.

If this was any other book, I'd have probably walked away sooner but I told myself to keep reading because this is a Net galley book and I wanted write a proper review. However, too many elements were working against to the story so I had no cho
Adam
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, I was very happy to have won the Good Reads contest for this absolutely amazing book!!! Second, a huge thanks to Roberta for offering this book as a giveaway contest. I loved this book. What an enchanting, fantastic story eclipsed only by the beautiful depth and diversity of the characters throughout this adventure! I found myself completely immersed in this world and struggled to put the book down. This is one of those rare stories that captivates so well that you literally do not want t ...more
Jonathan
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book via netgallery free in exchange for an honest review.I was drawn in at first by beautiful cover.This is the first book I have read by the author and look forward to more.It was a joy to read from beginning to end.I hope to read the second book as soon as I can.
Highly recommend this book.
pdarnold
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
I had this book in my wish list on Amazon for quite some time. I then jumped at the chance to read it when I saw it available on Netgalley for an honest review. I am quite glad I did!

Set in a time period around 500 years after King Arthur, the tale leans heavily on the fantasy side rather than on any historical fiction. The story evolves mostly around Alwen, sorceress who has created a life while waiting for destiny's summons. I'm guessing she is middle aged when that arrives, she has a husband,
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Since I am a big fan of fantasy, the first books which I read was a fantasy one, and when another of my great passions are Arthur's legends, I could only want to read this book. And yet… although I was happy concerning the fantasy, I am disappointed by the virtual non-existence of the link with Camelot. But well, while passing all this, we find ourself with an incredible reading, which makes us dream and we are perfectly able to imagine all that is described!

As regards the characters, I was not
Leila Hays
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, take-it
I heard about The Well of Tears in a NetGalley email promoting the sequel, The Keys to the Realms. While I'm still waiting for approval to read that book, The Well of Tears was available to read immediately.

I'll admit that the start was a bit slow. I was tempted to walk away, but I didn't want to leave a NetGalley book unread, so I persevered. I am so glad I did. After a couple of chapters I fell in love with Alwen, one of the Mistresses of the Realms. She's strong and powerful, yet humble and k
Katherine Kirkpatrick
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here is wonderful, rich storytelling in the first book of a new fantasy series. Alwen, a sorceress of a dying order returns to the hamlet of her youth, Fan Gramarye, to unite with others to stand against dark forces in a larger quest to protect the new, forthcoming king of the land. It’s refreshing to see a strong woman protagonist who has reached middle age. As manifested through Alwen, author Trahan’s voice is strong, seasoned, and wise. The novel also includes the perspectives of younger char ...more
Denise
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Well of Tears is a well crafted beginning to a new high fantasy series. The story opens at the dawn of a new age where prophecies are about to come into fruition. The Stewardry is tasked to assist the new king and the four sorceresses that had been sent into exile for their protection until the time for coming together are called home to help the king preserve his thrown and protect the magic that will be needed to prevail and keep the balance.

The world building is very well done and the cha
Artemiz
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2014
Roberta Trahan's The Well of Tears is an interesting story about mythical kingdom with wizards and witches and fairies and light and dark magic and all those other things that are necessary to a really good historical fantasy book.

But this story felt more like a prequel to a bigger story than a story on its own. There was a lot of introductions of the characters, of the time and place they where in. Most of the book was filled with either introductions or with explanations why they where on a br
Steve Cran
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This book presents a nice easy read. Those who are enthusiasts will find the story enjoyable. The story is fantasy but with chunks of historical fiction thrown in. You will not learn anything from it and the story itself is simple and it's conclusion will leave you longing.

The story is set in a fictional version of Wales. The Order of Stewards is called back to Fane Gramarye to support Hywell a new king that will support the followers of the old order . Madoc is the leader of the stewards and wi
Anne Monteith
May 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Interesting idea, terrible execution.

Readers who love fantasy will enjoy this set after the death of King Arthur, but those looking for an epic such as written by GRRM or MZB will be disappointed. Although it is set in a time that there was conflict throughout England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales, we see nothing of that in this novel. We know that the wizard and sorceresses are meeting to appoint a new leader because the current one is getting old, but there is no mention of the gods/goddesses
Brian
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good... for the female reader

this is not to slight female authors at all but unfortunately i was just not expecting a softcore highly sexual novel. granted, this only happens twice but it just becomes uncomfortable to read. the rest of the book is actually quite good. i already own the second book in the series. i can only hope that this next book isn't quite as graphic in the bedroom.
Eve Peets
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down and when I did I couldn't wait to get back to it. I can't wait for book 2!
This book will grab you from page one to the lat page. I don't want to say to much because you just need to read it.
Tom
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
An engrossing story, fairly well written. Focus is on the characters as much as on the plot. I am interested to see how the second book in the series carries on the story. I am a fan of historical fiction, particularly medieval English history, so this aspect was intriguing as well.
Dorn Carran
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a lovely story all about myth and magic. It takes a bit to get used to the welsh names used but these do help set the scene as a mystical realm of possibilities. The scene is set for the continuation of the tale whilst drawing the reader in to the present story.
Teryl
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Loved the reality of the setting. Might have liked it more if it was even further into the future, as the 500 years left it all happening 200 ?? years ago, which made it a little less absorbing for me.

Will read the next one.
Maryanne
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read, bought on one of the Amazon specials without knowing anything of the author. Good landscapes, intrigues, dramas, characters and magic. An older female sorcerer as protagonist is also an interesting idea, that is, she is old enough to have grown children and husband.
cpizarro
A good beginning

I was drawn into the story by the characters and the descriptions of their world.
but just as events really got going, the book ended...
I am looking forward to the next installment of this story.
I hope the author gives us much more next time.
Was a good read.
Claire
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing magic and secret passages and steamy bedrooms and evil schemers - a delectable mix of historical/romance/fantasy. I loved the author's realistic touchstone of a legendary well and long-reigning king in 10th century Wales. I was absorbed by the world. Can't wait for the next one!
Marisa
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad, the main character is very intriguing and keeps the book moving- I'd be interested in reading the next one, if only to see how she handles all the chaos around her!
Amy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to read the next one!
Rachael Parker
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story. Not as well written as some of my favourites but enjoyable. Good enough I will need to read book 2 to find out what happens.
J.D. Horn
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mythical, mystical, swashbuckling fun. Left me wanting more. Looking forward the continuation of the series.
... Got it for a buck on kindle. Lets see how this random purchase turns out...
B
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic mystical worlds await

Truth, fiction, and the mystical created in a fantastic work, thrusting one headlong into the colliding factions in the realm of fantasy. Splendid is Trahan's ability to take one on this journey, capturing intimate moments with and within each character, to the point of total belief in the whole.
Melissa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, bad, magic and intrigue

The ins and outs of political ploys as well as bare bones betrayal mixed with magic and a bit of romance.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book, through NetGalley, in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I was quite intrigued by the plot of this book, so when I had a chance to read it through NetGalley, I immediately leaped at that chance. And although there were some parts of this book that were disjointed, I was able to follow the storyline quite easily.

I did really like Alwen as a character and her son, daughter and husband were perhaps the strongest characters in this book. I
  • Beloved
  • Candlewax
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Pursuit
  • Valley of Dust
  • Tales From High Hallack, Volume 1: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton, Volume 1
  • The Divided Hearts (Sweet Deception Regency #7)
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles Book 1)
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
  • Shield and Crocus
  • Thor MAX: Vikings
  • Elf Killers
  • Godsworld (The Portal Catch, #1)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • Jack of Ravens (Kingdom of the Serpent, #1)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
  • Kingdom Hill
Best-selling author of "The Dream Stewards" quasi-historical epic fantasy series and other speculative fiction - including the post-apocalyptic sci-fi novella "Aftershock". Myth maker, dragon seeker, coffeechocoholic and antique jewelry hoarder.

The Dream Stewards (2 books)
  • The Keys to the Realms (The Dream Stewards, #2)
“So this was it, she thought. So many times she'd wondered. True sacrifice was the surrender of one sacred thing in favor of keeping another. No matter how prudent or cautious one was, in the end something precious was lost. Whether the claim was in the name of family or duty or honor or truth, it exacted a terrible price. To her dismay, she did not feel the pride or pleasure that Bledig had claimed when he spoke of the sacrifices he had made for her and their children. For Alwen, sacrifice brought grief and guilt, and an unbearable sense of uncertainty.” 3 likes
“What unholy fettle does she bring on us now?” 0 likes