Start by marking “Mother” as Want to Read:
Mother

Mother

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  114 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Mary Sullivan, wife and mother of two teen boys has been mourning the death of her mother for five years. When she meets Cathy, a young salesclerk at a luncheonette in town who suffers the tragic loss of her own mother, Mary befriends her and the two women help each other heal and move forward.
Published 2007 by Madison Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother

liked it 3.00  ·

Shay Caroline
Jul 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chicklit, stinkers
Here it is, The Worst Novel Ever Written. I only read it all the way through as a sort of exercise in endurance, and to see how laughably awful the writing could become. Here's the answer: really, really awful.

Rentschler is the Queen of hyperbolic, cheaply emotional scenes populated by cardboard characters from central casting, described in utterly talentless prose, as they act out plotlines that are so unlikely and/or boring that to read them is to experience a massive die-off of brain cells. Y
Lynne
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
When two women are brought together a connection born of grief, they learn more about themselves than they ever expected. Mary is a stay-at-home mom with two teenage boys who is still mourning the loss of her mother after five years. Cathy is a young girl who works at the local luncheonette whose mother dies suddenly as the result of a car accident. These two women meet and end up going on a journey of self-discovery. Each has an approach to grief and life that differs greatly from the other, bu ...more
Kellie McCutcheon
3.75 stars. Enjoyed this book for the most part. Related to mother character with older children and struggling with her identity. Some parts of the story were a bit far reaching for me but that’s the joy of fiction...an escape from reality for a bit. Overall an enjoyable read.
Denise
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A Hallmark-like story. A bit overdone and too much coincidence. Like Luke the psychic, though.
C Peterson
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The first couple of chapters were so well written that I was hooked. However, the latter chapters became dry and cliche
Sherry
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Thought it was good and had a nice twist in the end.
Nancy Carty Lepri
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When Mary Sullivan goes into a local luncheonette to buy a roll of Life Savers, she’s suddenly reminded of her mother who passed away five years prior. Breaking down in tears, feeling unbelievable grief, she’s comforted by Cathy, the college-age waitress who brings her a cherry Coke and consolation. As the two women talk, Mary feels somewhat cheered, but in the late hours of that night, her doorbell rings with a hysterical Cathy on her doorstep reporting her own mother had just been killed in a ...more
Christina
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is about Mary, who still grieves the loss of her mother, five years after her death. Mary stays busy in order to cope with her mother's death. She takes care of her family. Mary bakes and cooks. Mary also volunteers to help care for a group of seniors.

One day Mary buys some mints at a luncheonette, but she breaks down and cries over her mother. Cathy, the employee who serves Mary, sits down with Mary so that Mary can gireve the loss of her mother. The next day, Cathy's mother died in
Kristina
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Michelle Akers-dicken
This one was hard because I enjoyed the authors writing. It flowed really well! Imagination lacked though. With topics like metaphysics and séances or contacting the dead... well I just felt like this could have been an incredible story. Instead, it was a pleasant enough little story about a middle aged woman who's unhappy with the status quo life she's made for herself and her family. Her life doesn't pick up until she meets a young college aged woman and they embark on a journey to help themse ...more
Zinha69
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YES
Great book... You wonder from the start what a mother of 2 has in common with college girl and what is their connection. Other then they both lost their mothers. So worth while reading the end is the best gift ever...

Zinha
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
When I used to work at Bookspan (the book of the month club) I got this in the book sale room. I started reading this the winter after I lost my mother. This was a good book. The way it read to me was that it was going to end then it came back.
Karolina
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book; however, it was very difficult for me to fully get into it and it took me a significant amount of time to read it. Ultimately I felt the book lacked something at the end. I didn't walk away as satisfied with the ending as I would have liked.
Sue J
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't know what to expect from this book. I stuck with it, and was glad I read it through. It was decent, and the author packed a lot into it. Not one of my favorites, but a worthy read.
Mary Lange
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't see that coming. Great ending♡
Laurie
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had hope for this book when I started out but quickly changed my mind. Sorry - but not worth my time !
Stasha
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad, considering the genre. The selfishness of the men was realistic. Brian cracked me up. Felt like a made for TV special.
Eva Leger
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eva by: my grandmother
Shelves: b-fiction
Well...I can't remember anything about this book except that I really liked it. I'd definitely pick up another book by this author although I'm not going to be looking.
Tiffanie
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book was good to read but had some sad parts to it as well
Melissa
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who are into contacting
Recommended to Melissa by: Literary Guild Book Club
I actually skim-read this book. I could not get into the characters and the premise of the story didn't work for me. maybe you'll have better luck.
Cassie
Aug 22, 2008
Brockalino
Feb 20, 2017
Alexandra
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2015