Start by marking “Nijinsky” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Nijinsky

Romola Nijinsky

Nijinsky

Published November 2nd 1977 by Pocket (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Nijinsky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nijinsky

Start your review of Nijinsky
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read the Richard Buckle bio and saw that he got a lot of his information from Nijinsky's wife and the biography she wrote.

This book is not without merit and for those of us who are dedicated Nijinsky fans, the book will prove informational. The main problem is Mrs. Nijinsky's poor writing skills. The book reads like an over-long Christmas letter.

Also there is something artificial about it. No, she does not ignore any of the less savory details of her husband's life, such as the fact that he
Clare
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
very informative and not as dry as most dance history books!
Monica
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I read this a few years ago but I still think about Nijinsky and what really caused his mental breakdown. His wife Romola was always his protector and I had the feeling reading this that she was still protecting him by withholding much information. Someday I'll read a more impartial and extensive biography of Nijinsky. Still, I was impressed by how Romola kept him alive through two World Wars and with little income, usually relying on the kindness and support of friends. It is sad that no visual ...more
Joanna
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
slow start and hard to understand at first. picked up the pace in part two but there are still phrases and words in French, Russian, etc that are not translated so I do not know what they meant.
still a good book as I am interested in dance and Njinsky as a person.
Meg
Aug 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: ballet, nonfiction
A fun read, if you're interested in learning about this celebrated dancer. (I was quite surprised by his reason for leaving the Mariinsky!) The author isn't the most literary, however, and probably a little too sympathetic to her subject (her husband!).
Eva Stachniak
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
A fascinating story, as long as you are not too interested in facts. Romola Nijinski is a storyteller and this is her version of the story. Vaslav's sister, Bronislavaa, called it "a fairy-tale," and she was mostly right....
Allen Bleyle
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great highly entertaining and interesting story... The Writer is his wife, which causes serious complications regarding the perspective his story is told from, but its still fascinating and makes me want to read more... Crazy turn of the centruy art scene!!!!
Meleah
bio Nijinksy by his wife, re "the greatest dancer of modern times"
Kelly
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Highly detailed as far as Nijinsky's dancing and ideas are concerned, but as much as his wife strains to write a biography of her husband, she is simply no biographer.
Sandi Mann
Oct 24, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: balletomanes
so much I'd forgotten! Had this book since I was 17 - 52 years! excellent (tho obviously biased!) fascinating...
Inna