Start by marking “The Commons” as Want to Read:
The Commons

The Commons (Archonate Universe)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Includes the story "The Helper and His Hero," nominated for a Nebula Award - Best Novella, 2007 "For years now, 40,000 readers of "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction" have been reveling in the adventures of Matt Hughes's Guth Bandar, the hero of this novel. Hughes is one of the top voices in modern SF, and this book has a huge audience waiting for it."

For 100,00
Published October 1st 2007 by Robert J. Sawyer Books

To ask other readers questions about The Commons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Commons

Elizabeth
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I think Hughes' idea of the noönauts and a collective unconscious that can be visited and mapped is interesting and it was the main reason I checked out this book from the library. I found the characters to be two-dimensional, though, and the dialogue was stilted. After a while I began to wonder: is this just how Hughes writes (this is the only work of his I've read), or was he deliberately creating characters who were only slightly more rounded than the idiomats of the Commons? Anyway, read thi ...more
Cissa
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a "fixup" novel, meaning a novel made primarily out of short stories previous published, then adapted into a novel form (though still episodic). I'd read and enjoyed these stories before when published in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, but they were more coherent here- especially as we can really see Guth Bandar grow and develop as a character.

Guth starts as a student at the Institute for Historical Inquiry, which looks at humanity's history by literally exploring the (Jung
Jeffrey
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kim
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
ONE STAR

TRIGGER WARNINGS: attacks on the child free and the childless, kidnapping, torture, violent content, rape

What is it about a lot of male fantasy and science fiction authors and the awkward cramming in of unnecessary and out-of-the-blue rape and sexual abuse scenes? It showed up in "chapter" (really it's "story", not "chapter") two. Do these authors think it adds tension, darkness, and seriousness to their work in genres often regarded as light escapism? All I read it as showing is ignoran
Michele (Mikecas)
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantascienza
Da:

Una raccolta di racconti di uno scrittore praticamente sconosciuto in Italia, nonostante abbia all'attivo diversi romanzi che hanno avuto una buona accoglienza dai lettori anglosassoni. Racconti che hanno un tema comune e che rappresentano lo sviluppo di un personaggio e di una storia complessa.
La base di tutto è il concetto che l'inconscio collettivo dell'intera umanità, passata e forse anche futura, costituisca una realtà concreta, con tutti gli arche
Mike Ehlers
Been on my to-read list since I read "The Helper and His Hero," which is part of this novel, a few years ago.

I loved the idea of the collective unconscious becoming aware, and I liked how the protagonist's main rival is really nothing more than an archetype himself. But I do wish at least some of the other characters were more fleshed out.

And the plot was a bit disjointed, probably a problem from trying to connect all the short stories. I'd be interested in a true novel set in this world.
Subhan
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of collection of Hughes' Noonaut stories strung together into a novel format. While the world that Hughes constructs is interesting, the characters are somewhat wooden, and the plot drags. These stories were much better when I read them originally. I'd like to see a fully developed novel involving the noosphere, but this isn't it.
Roy
Gareth D.
Dec 01, 2016
Eric
Aug 14, 2013
Born in Liverpool, his family moved to Canada when he was five years old. Married since late 1960s, he has three grown sons. He is currently relocated to Britain. He is a former director of the Federation of British Columbia Writers.

A university drop-out from a working poor background, he worked in a factory that made school desks, drove a grocery delivery truck, was night janitor in a GM dealersh
More about Matthew Hughes...

Archonate Universe (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • Template
  • The Spiral Labyrinth (Henghis Hapthorn #2)
  • 9 Tales of Henghis Hapthorn