Start by marking “The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense” as Want to Read:
The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense

The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
These 63 spine-tingling stories originally appeared in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery magazine, and in the words of the master himself, they'll "make your blood run cold." Hitchcock coolly serves up cool cops, clever gangsters, bodies stuffed in trunks, kidnappings, adulterous affairs, murder, and espionage, and the resulting thrills are positively delicious. The writers inclu ...more
Published March 28th 2004 by Galahad Books (first published February 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Mystery

Bev
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, shortstories

The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense--Alfred Hitchcock. Is one terrifying book. Not only because of the murder and mayhem, blood-curdling and blood-thirsty stories contained in its pages....but because of its sheer size. This is is one hefty book that could easily be used as the proverbial blunt instrument in a murder mystery of its own. In these pages you'll find clever cops and cold-blooded killers, 80-year-old Aunties that you don't want to tuck you into bed
Sambaith
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No two stories are alike in this collection, they all have completely different twists and endings. I never found myself stopping in the middle of a story to put it down, every story kept my attention. It's a good book to keep by your bedside and just read a story in a couple hours before bed every night.
Diane
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: benys-books
Enjoyed the short-story format. Will probably re-read it ~ makes you think about human nature.
Courtney
1) Winter Run; Hoch, Edward D.
2) You Can't Blame Me; Slesar, Henry
3) A Flower in her Hair; Smith, Pauline C.
4) The Cost of Kent Castwell; Davidson, Avram
5) Pseudo Identity; Block, Lawrence
6) That Russian!; Ritchie, Jack
7) Galton and the Yelling Boys; Waugh, Hillary
8) Blind Date; Broeckman, Charles
9) Pressure; Wilkinson, Roderick
10) The Running Man; Pronzini, Bill
11) The Vietnam Circle; Kelly, F.J.
12) Sadie When She Dies; McBain, Ed
13) A Very Cautious Boy; Ralston, Gilbert
14) A Try for the Big Pr
M. Blakely
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, anthology
I am a great fan of short stories of all genres. The best ones are tightly written, not wandering around like many novels. They also permit a person who is short on time to indulge a passion for reading and to get almost instant gratification.

This book is one of the best short story compilations I have read in many years! The book was first published in 1976 as a compilation of the best short stories from "Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine." This hardback edition was published in 1986, six yea
James Hatton
Three stars. Look, it's hard for me to rate a collection this size and not have the rating fall in the middle. On average, they're going to be normal, good stories; and that's what they are. Some were two stars. Many were four stars. Several of them were five stars. I enjoyed leisurely reading these stories.

I think I found some new writers whose work I may pursue. Two stories I'll highlight are A Case of Desperation, by Kat Wilhelm, and The Pursuer, by Holly Roth. Both of these are among the sev
Pat
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had started reading this collection of stories a few months ago and came back to it after finishing A Suitable Boy, 1400+ pages! It was a shock to my system. But it was good, but my appreciation for the genre has returned. To develop the premise and come up with a good twist in a few pages is an art form.
Rebekah
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't know that I'd call it "spine-tingling"... but certainly it is full of engaging short stories from authors with the same classic flair for mystery and suspense for which Hitchcock himself is known.
Alicia Aaron
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Though the stories are well-written, I couldn't find the suspense in most of the stories. A lot of predictable endings that are probably due to the fact that these stories are *truly* short e.g. 3-5 pages.
Robbie Hall
A case of desperation
Countdown
Virginia
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice big book of mystery stories chosen by Alfred Hitchcock. Enjoyed almost all the stories, and could easily see them having been made into an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode. The twist endings are always fun.
Shilpi Goel
I wouldn't call the short stories "spine-tingling", but they were pleasant enough, if murder mysteries can be called pleasant. This short story collection is nice, light, predictable read --- good for the end of a harrowing day.
Pat Landers
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
cool
renzo
May 09, 2009 is currently reading it
brother gave this to me for christmas. i'm halfway through and i love it.
Jack
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mysteries aren't my usual fare, but this book is so utterly massive that there will be at least a handful of stories in it to appeal to any reader.
Julie
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-2013, 2013
Priscilla
amazon.com
Lisa A.
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
63 short storeies - good for quick reading w/short time bursts and not a lot of time.
Darren
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good book to read.
Courtney Graham
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
love him!
Mandakini
Nov 01, 2007 rated it liked it
got deceived into believing this was hitchcock writing, but its hitchcock editing,,,,pretty close or not, i guess. the book is interesting, good night time reading (if you can handle it)!
Emily
  • Don't Open This Book
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • The Big Bow Mystery
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Magic of Shirley Jackson
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps
  • The Promise of a Lie
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • Monsieur
  • The Trimmed Lamp and Other Stories of the Four Million
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • Very Superstitious: Myths, Legends and Tales of Superstition
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...