Start by marking “When It Starts to Snow” as Want to Read:

What if it starts
to snow?
What do you do?
Where do you go?

What if it starts to snow. What do you do? Where do you go?" So begins this winter story, as each animal--from a mouse to a bear--tells us what it will do and where it will go when the snow starts to fall. Each takes cover in its own special home, except for one. Can you guess who?

Phillis Gershator's chant-along vers
Published October 1st 2001 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about When It Starts to Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When It Starts to Snow

Matt
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
I wasn't going to bother reviewing this book, but I discover that I'm about the only one that has read it, and so I think it would be a disservice to the author not to say something.

Our two girls have, in a bit over a year, have apparantly consumed most of the children's literature appropriate to their intellectual level - once again proving Sturgeon's Law. It's getting harder and harder to find something fresh at the library to read to them. Most of what is good, is also famous, and most of wha
Toni Facteau
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title of this book is When It Starts to Snow by Phillis Gershator and Illustrated by Martin Matje. It was published by Scholastic Inc. in 1999. It has 32 pages and the grade level is from Preschool-2. The genre of this story is Speculative Fiction. The Lexile level of this book is 400L and the guided reading would be a J.

This story is about many animals such as a cat, a black crow, and a beaver and what they do during the time that it snows. It shows what each animal does to keep safe durin
Adrith Bicchieri
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Auditioning books for our Welcome Winter storytime, and this book is a perfect pick. The illustrations are colorful and charming, and the rhymes give a great rhythm to the reading. I'm looking forward to coming up with a movement that our attendees can do every time I read the word "snow"!
Ms. Jeane
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, I wish my daughter was a little more into it. I had to return it to the library so we only read it once. I might give it a shot if I did a snow storytime again.
Eva Kelly
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
So you know what I need in my room? Is a big shelf just for SNOW books! Because every one I've seen is a GREAT one and this one is too. It's about what everyone does when it snows. For me that's sitting and watching it and then going out and getting all cold and wet so that when you come inside you feel EXTRA cozy! And then you have hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream. That's not just a good story. It's a good DAY!

(March 2016)
OK, I had to read this one AGAIN! And there's a part I f
Steven Reid
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
1. Genre: Picture Book---concept
2. Summary: This book is about what animals do in the wintertime when it snows, and what a little boy does too.
3a. Critique: illustrations
3b. The illustrations are simple with strong contrast color use and shading, to emphasize the bleakness of winter. The proportions of the animals' body parts are unrealistic, but are made to please young children by providing a cartoon-like quality.
3c. Some body parts which are not proportionate include the legs of the birds, th
Vilo
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A rhythmic snow story that captures the hushed feeling of snow falling, focusing on how each type of animal reacts to the snow. Depending on the child, there could be more discussion on animal behavior in winter. My preschool ESL students reacted favorably, even though there are more words per page than I usually share--I think because of the poetic language and illustrations that communicate visually what the animals are doing.
Dolly
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our youngest borrowed this book from her elementary school library and was excited to share this with us. The rhyming narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. It wasn't overwhelmingly memorable, but it's fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Meghan Hunt
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This is a darling book about a little kid who goes around asking all of the animals what they will do when it starts to snow. It's well-written and beautifully illustrated. Repetition of certain phrases is great for language learning as well.
Sheila
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
An enjoyable children's read, which was a favorite of my daughter when she was a toddler. She loved to hear about all the animals, and what they would do, and where they would go, when it starts to snow.