Start by marking “Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: A Timber Press Guide” as Want to Read:
Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: A Timber Press Guide

Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: A Timber Press Guide

There is nothing more regionally specific than vegetable gardening. What to plant, when to plant it, and when to harvest are unique decisions based on climate, weather, and first and last frost.

"The Timber Press Guide to Vegetable Gardening: Pacific Northwest" is a growing guide that truly understands the unique eccentricities of the Northwest growing calendar. The month-b
Published January 15th 2013 by Timber Press (OR)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest

Bryan Lovely
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I wish I’d found this book a couple of years ago, during January. It’s filled with advice specific to the Pacific Northwest climate and weather patterns, and has a month-by-month calendar of what to plant, what to start indoors, and what to harvest.

I’d always thought of vegetable gardening as a summer sport; I had no idea you could plant certain vegetables in the fall and harvest them in the spring or even during the winter.

Would recommend very highly to PNW gardeners.
Ami Sanyal
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the month-by-month format of this book.
Kari Mccrory
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for gardening in the Pacific Northwest.
Deborah
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vegetable Gardening in The Pacific Northwest is a gem of a book. It is well organized, with a nicely designed layout, and written in an inviting tone. And to the point, its packed with great explanations and scientific knowledge, specific tips and intelligent ideas. For example, use a nuanced interactive inline map to pinpoint your climate zone closely. If you do not buy local seeds, add time due to lower "heat units" in the PNW. Learn to use all the free rainwater. How to do both seed starts an ...more
Emily
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a person who wants to start gardening, but doesn't know the first thing about it. I particularly don't know anything about gardening in my particular region, which I've found out is unique in its requirements and growing seasons.

This author does a great job of giving enough necessary detail about the vegetable growing needs for the region without making it intimidating. She covers outdoor gardening, as well as container gardening. The main part of the book focuses on a month-by-month plannin
Janet
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The value of this book was the information on which month to plant (sow outdoors or indoors or transplant) and harvest specific vegetables. The second piece of valuable information was the section on edible plants where the author suggested specific varieties that grow well in the Pacific Northwest. Interspersed within each month, the author provided advice on topics such as how to grow the ever popular tomato, make compost, harden off plants, etc.
Michelle Morrell
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished this and immediately ordered it, full of helpful information, such as what veggies to start each month (be it seeds, or starts), even how long various seeds last. Very region specific to the Pacific Northwest, but if you live here and want to grow vegetables, A+ resource.
Robyn
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Well laid out, but not much here that I didn't already have access to elsewhere.
Christina Pedersen
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I ESPECIALLY love the timeline that indicates sowing and harvesting times.
Heydi Smith
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
Fantastic step by step, month by month guide on gardening. The perfect gardening book for those without a green thumb, like me!
Kat
Feb 23, 2017
Melissa
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“the Pacific Northwest has a climate and a geography that makes human beings feel very welcome on the planet.” 0 likes
“Northwesterners coined the term “sun break,” a notion completely lost on most of the country.” 0 likes