Start by marking “Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)

Dealing with Dragons

(Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  76,963 ratings  ·  3,102 reviews
Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart - and bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon - and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for.

Cover illustrator: Peter de Sève
Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Dragons, please sign up.
Ashleigh I read it in high school even though it was way below my reading level. I am an adult now and I still read young adult books because they're clean.
Alexandria It's a chapter book with very few illustrations, but it tells a good story with a different twist. Instead of your typical "I need to be saved"…moreIt's a chapter book with very few illustrations, but it tells a good story with a different twist. Instead of your typical "I need to be saved" princess, you get this one! I won't go in to detail, but she is something different for sure. I read this as an adult, and I would have recommended this book to any of my students (4th - 6th) that liked reading this particular type of fantasy. It's just a good story.(less)

·  76,963 ratings  ·  3,102 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"He doesn't seem very impressed," Cimorene commented in some amusement.
"Why should he be?" Kazul said.
"Well, you're a dragon," Cimorene answered, a little taken aback.
"What difference does that make to a cat?"
Before Harry Potter, there was Princess Cimorene, a dragon named Kazul, and the Enchanted Forest. I am no longer a 11-year old girl. I am a grown-ass woman, and I still love this book as much as I did the first time I read it.

Share this book with your sisters, your daughters, your nieces.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The scholarly princcesses, the very sensible dragons and irritating princes... What else can a girl want?

Q:
There was a great deal of etiquette, from the proper way to curtsy before a visiting prince to how loudly it was permissible to scream when being carried off by a giant...
When she couldn't stand it any longer, she would go down to the castle armory and bully the armsmaster into giving her a fencing lesson.
Q:
"Well, I fence… So it is too done by a princess."
Q:
Nothing interesting seems to be
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 stars

This is my 4th time reading this. Still good. I did dock half a star down because second book is better than the first - still, the whole series are amazing, even if I am well out of reading age for these books I enjoy them immensely.

After I got finished with the book, my first thought was:
-why haven't they made a movie out of this yet?
And then I thought
-what if the casting is wrong, what if they don't follow the book, what if cgi is cheap?
Oh, the horrors! So now I am actually hap
Brian Yahn
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you think you know what a princess story is, think again.

There's a magic to this series I haven't experienced since reading Harry Potter. It's one of the most playful books I've ever read, constantly making jokes out of well-known tropes and famous fairy tales. Plus it's a mystery in which the prime suspects are a dragon with bad wizard allergies and a prince made of stone. The entire universe is as quirky as the suspects and although there's some plot holes and a lot of things that seem to h
Keith
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. My daughter read them when she was at the point where reading changes from being work to being fun. So it was one of the first "serious" books (> 100 pages and no pictures) that she read on her own for pleasure. First my wife read the series aloud to her. Then she read them all to herself. Then she read this book out loud to me.

The story is told from the point of view of Princess Cimorene. She's a curious, intelligent girl who hates t
Bobby
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I would place this book somewhere between The Ordinary Princess and the Harry Potter series in terms of complexity of plot, age appropriateness and the amount of fun I had reading it. I really enjoyed reading this book and likely would have given it 5 stars if I had read it at a younger age (say at the age of 8 years or so). As it is, after Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, it's hard to give this book 5 stars. Having said that, this is a very interesting story of a Princess who detests traditi ...more
Sanaa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[5.0 Stars] Re-Read 2016
I adore this book. I always will! It was one of my favorites series growing up and still is to this day! I implore you all to check it out!
Michelle
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the wonderful ladies out there whose dying for innocent childlike humor
This is my happy book. I read it when I was in middle school and I love it because its not your average fairy tale. Yes you have princess's and prince's and yes you have dragons and wizards and magic but it's not exactly like the common tale of where the prince slays the dragon with the wizard to help him act clever to save the damsel in distress and or princess. No no it's more of the princess becomes friends with a dragon and when a prince comes and saves her she tells them to go away.

Sick and
Cassandra
I picked up this book after seeing it featured in A Mighty Girl's excellent list of kick-ass Princess books, and thought it might make a good Christmas gift for a fantasy-loving little sister.

Of course I had to read it first, the way you have to taste the cookie dough, to make sure it's just right. And of course, Little Sister caught me at it.

"What's that?"
"A book I'm reading."
She executes a perfect pre-teen exasperated sigh-and-eye-roll. "I KNOW it's a book. What's it about?"
I decide to test
Tanis
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found this book at the library and I was so excited because I read it a couple of times when I was younger, in 4th or 5th grade I think. So it's a kid's book but it is so much fun. Great fantasy and tons of humor. You can't help but laugh, at least I couldn't! Funny story related to this book. Back when I first read this, when I was younger, like I said, I had a friend my age who also read it. Well, she and I happened to have some little plastic toy dragons and wizards and we'd use them to act ...more
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, full-lengths
How will you describe a book which entertains you in every chapter?
Well, this will be my first review about that kind of book.

MY FEELINGS FOR THIS BOOK
Before Reading This Book:
I was unaware of dragons, wizards, witches, giants and jinns (I think I am still unaware of giants and jinns but not anymore after reading the whole series) So, it's obvious I didn't know how they look like Or what are their abilities?
After Reading This Book:
I thought "I chose to read books and I didn't even know any m
Kaitlin
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly charming middle-grade/children's fantasy book which really captivated me, and which (even though I am 21 when first reading it) I loved. The story follows a very wilful, strong female Princess who doesn't like the silly troupes of being a Princess to which everyone else around her conforms. Princess Cimorene decides that she wants to learn to Fence, and when she's told this is un-lady-like and most definitely un-princess-like she decides to try something else equally as un-prince ...more
JM
YA comic fantasy. Cimorene is not a proper princess. She learns fencing, cooking and magic, and when she discovers her proposed marriage, she runs away to offer herself to a dragon. She's been told that they like to keep princesses, and she thinks that this is one princessly thing that she could possibly do.

This was charming, but light on substance. It may have been more original when it was written, but it feels derivative now. Also, I was annoyed that the only way that Cimorene could do anythi
Alina
This book was simply delightful, with enchanting characters of different kinds and lots of good witty humor, hinting to many classic fairy tales, but with twisted meanings. Here's a little example:
“The rest of my classmates are already making names for themselves. George started killing dragons right away, and Art went straight home and pulled some sort of magic sword out of a rock. Even the ones nobody expected to amount to much have done something. All Jack wanted to do was go back to his mo
Miss M
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm re-reading this fantastic series that I fell in love when I was a kid. It's a great story about a princess who thinks being a princess is incredibly boring. Etiquette and dancing lessons all day? She would much rather learn fencing or magic, thank you very much! But that just isn't done. So she runs away and volunteers to become a dragon's princess (A vocation which is usually only acquired when one is captured by a dragon).

This book has a great female protagonist, lots of humor, and puts a
Lau
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lau by: Goodread's Readers Also Enjoyed
Hacen falta más princesas como Cimorene. Además de que sea un libro divertidísimo, original, lleno de humor inocente y bastante irreverente con los cuentos de hadas, Cimorene es realmente mi tipo de princesa.

Basta de damicelas débiles que esperan ser rescatadas. Ella, harta de la aburridísima vida de palacio y clases de bordado, siguiendo el "consejo" de un sapo que habla, decide escaparse e irse a vivir con un grupo de dragones.
Cimorene no es sumisa, ni recatada... ni rubia. Es la única de tod
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
This is my second time or third time around with this book, I hadn't read it in years. The first time I read it I was a teenager and enjoyed and as an adult I love it just as much. It is a really fast read, I would highly recommend Dealing with Dragons to anyone who loves fantasy.

It has lots of adventure, lots of dragons and a sassy princess who takes her fate into her own hands.

Andrea
I first read this long enough ago that I remember nothing of it. Listening to an audiobook of it performed by an ensemble cast proved to be highly entertaining, primarily because the voice actress for Cimorene invested her with the can-do wholesomeness of 60s Nancy Drew.

The story itself would hold up well for current-day readers - it's a fairytale world where the inhabitants (non-ironically) know their own tropes, and so are aware that the third son is likely to succeed in the quest, and that wa
Sara Saif
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Headstrong people, dragon-maniacs, fairytale lovers
One word: Perfecto!

This was just splendid! I was enchanted from the very first paragraph, I ain’t even kidding. I found myself loving it more and more with every page. It was as lovely as Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle series which I’m very fond of. I’ll devour anything that has the word “Dragon” in it which is why I read it. This time I read the blurb but it doesn’t so much as give a hint as to how wonderful this book really is.

It’s set in a world filled with all sorts of fairytale ele
Kaethe
2004 or 2005
October 6, 2007

Currently reading aloud to the Possum - She's decided to carry on on her own in favor of me reading The Mysterious Howling. Well, I can't blame her. That's also a good one.

July 20, 2014

I originally read this series out loud to the girls when they were wee. Going back, I didn't recall much except that we had all enjoyed them. Some of the things I had forgotten: that Cimorene had studied fencing and Latin and that she was unusually tall, all now true of the eldest daught
Katherine
Jak zvláštní, že čím jsem starší, tím víc oceňuji .. pohádkové příběhy.
Mají svoje kouzlo.
To nepopřete.

Cimorene je nejlepší princezna všech dob.
Proč?
Dělá, co princezny nedělají.
Ovládá základy latiny, kouzel, rytířského umění a dokáže připravit delikátní horké maliny.
Ale zato absolutně nesnáší naduté prince, lekce vyšívání a etiketu. Je to nuda. Chápu.

Princezna dobrovolně v dračích službách?
SKANDÁL!
Jsem si jistá, že kdyby v Linderwallu měli Blesk, její extra nevhodné chování by se tam objevovalo
Nicole Beaudry
This is a childhood favourite that was desperately in need of a reread. Although I remembered loving it as a child, I couldn't remember much besides the bare bones of the plot and that Cimorene was the coolest princess of all time. Having reread the book, I can confirm that Cimorene remains the coolest princess of all time. Wrede writes a subversive, funny fantasy romp that turns fairy tale tropes on their head in brilliant ways sure to delight any little girl sick of reading about the princess ...more
Alexa
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Macky recommended this one to me, and it was a winner! I loved how Wrede turned the typical fairy tale tropes on their heads, especially in the form of main character Cimorene (who I absolutely loved).
Beth
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I remember loving this book ten years ago. It's funny how my reaction has become more complicated. This reread, I kept thinking of Melissa's comments about Raisa and femininity in her review of The Demon King.

And yet is Dealing with Dragons really a rejection of traditional femininity? I'm not sure. True, Cimorene finds her entire life boring and hateful, and runs away and finds herself an interesting, exciting new life. But she's not rejecting femininity, really. In fact, she's doing many more
Jackie
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2017-read
I needed a palate cleanser and just a general "feel good book" after reading Sunshine. In the past I've turned to romance books, but as of late I've been turning more and more to YA books preferably those set for younger audiences (middle grade). There tends to be a lot of hidden gems in this category and to me, this book was one of them.

Cimorene is a princess who doesn't meet the standard princess personality quota. She's intelligent, headstrong, and much to her parents dismay she wants more to
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Princess Cimorene is tired of embroidery, etiquette, and protocol classes. She wants to take Latin, fencing, magic, and cooking lessons instead. But, that's just "not done." So to avoid a betrothal to a handsome and charming (but not particularly bright) prince, she runs away to become housekeeper for a dragon. As a dragon's princess, Cimorene gets the freedom to cook and clean and to organize libraries and treasure rooms. She also has to fend off persiste
Iris
Dec 10, 2018 added it
I'm telling goodreads I read this so that it'll shut up and stop recommending it to me every five second.

Look goodreads, this book is good and all but like... I already read it. And also how the heck does it have anything to do with anything I read nowadays??

I don't ACTUALLY have anything to say about this book, just that I read it when I was younger and it was fun and I enjoyed it. I dunno. I just care that goodreads will stop recommending it finally!
Noriko
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's been almost 4 years since I last read this book, which means this was a re-read for me.
And I'm glad that I get to say that I enjoyed the book as much as I did before.

Technically speaking, I found the writing is solid enough yet a teeny bit slippery at times, if that makes sense. What I mean is, I never felt bored thanks to the enchanting and interesting plot, but did feel the writing a bit rushed, not sinking in on me every now and then where I would have like a bit more tension and suspe
Giselle Bradley
How can I even begin to describe my love for this book and the whole series? This book is about a princess named Cimorene who refuses to be a proper. When her parents try to marry her off she runs away and lives with the dragon, Kazul.

As a fairytale lover this book is perfect for me. With all it's well known and obscure references to different fairytales, each new page is a delight. I even found fairytales that I had never heard of before. That was a shock to me.

I find this book to be very funn
MacK
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Almost every story you read has some root in a story that was already told. The familiar notes of mythology and fairy tales appear again and again in literature, but in those books that start with a familiar structure and then leap into unexpected there’s something special to be found.

That’s what I thought as I sped my way through Dealing With Dragons a local favorite here in Minnesota, and one that my wife Kristina loved when she was young. But this is not simply a childhood favorite, it’s a ge
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)
  • Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • The Arkadians
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
“Well,” said the frog, “what are you going to do about it?”

“Marrying Therandil? I don’t know. I’ve tried talking to my parents, but they won’t listen, and neither will Therandil.”

“I didn’t ask what you’d said about it,” the frog snapped. “I asked what you’re going to do. Nine times out of ten, talking is a way of avoiding doing things.”
204 likes