Start by marking “Bully” as Want to Read:
Bully

Bully

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  755 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Bully doesn't have a kind word for any of his friends. When the other animals ask him to play, he responds in the way he's been taught:

Chicken! Slow poke! You stink! Laura Vaccaro Seeger's bold, graphic artwork, along with her spare but powerful words, make for a tender, hilarious, and thoughtful tale.

A Neal Porter Book
Published July 16th 2013 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Bully, please sign up.
Jennifer Heise Yup. Definitely, we've got talking animals having a conversation in which one insults the others, then gets called on being a bully, and then…moreYup. Definitely, we've got talking animals having a conversation in which one insults the others, then gets called on being a bully, and then apologizes... and they all go playing together. (less)

Tasha
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Seeger has created a very different style of book from her recent Green and First the Egg. Here there is a bull who doesn’t know how to make friends. He’s been bullied by the other bulls and when asked to play by some other animals responds in the same way. He puffs himself up and calls them all names until one little goat stands up to him and calls him a bully. Then he realizes the way that he’s been acting. He returns to his regular size, no longer puffed up and cruel, and apologizes to them. ...more
Samantha
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The cycle of bullying starts on the endpapers in which the bull that becomes the book's main character is shunned by another bull. The bull then turns on a group of smaller animals that invite him to play. When a brave goat calls it like she sees it, the bull changes his tune.

A simple story that uses artwork to effectively convey the feelings that accompany bullying. The way the bull increases in size as his words become louder and the animals become more meek really affected me. This is a must
Diane
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do young bullies really know that they are bullying? In this very simple picture book, the little bull is mean to other animals, calling them names, until the goat steps up and calls him a bully - twice. After he thinks about it, he apologizes and all is forgiven. A very clear cut message for the youngest readers.

Themes: bullying/name calling, bystanders can make a difference, forgiveness,
Erin
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bully doesn't have a kind word to say to his friends when they ask him to play. Chicken! (to the chicken) Slow poke! (to the turtle) Pig! (to the pig). Goat decides to stand up to Bully and Bully realizes he's being mean to his friends.

I liked it, didn't love it.
Valerie Barnhart
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Opening: We have been discussing social situations that deal with "above the line" and "below the line" behaviors. As the title indicates, this book is about a bully. Let's see how the bull feels about his behaviors.(discuss behaviors that are considered bullying) Do you like your name? (pause) Have you ever been called a name that you didn't like? (pause) Share with your table partner about how name calling can make you feel.

What is the complication in this story? What problem does the bull fa
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Becky Shaknovich
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's funny! Very few words in this book, but the tone is implied from the characters' facial expressions. Interesting mixed media illustrations!

This is a good concrete example of bullying happeneing because the bully doesn't feel good about themself. Also illustrates (no pun intended) for children how we can sometimes take things out on someone else, when that someone else has nothing to do with our bad feelings... and teaches the right thing to do when this does happen (Be sorry; Say you're so
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Digital illustrations on textured paper make for a wonderful contrast. With minimal words and illustrations that bleed off the pages, this book is a visual treat. It was fun to watch as the Bully Bull moves from the left side of the page on the endpages to the right side on the last pages of the book. Bully starts off rather morose and expands until he takes up the entire page, and then looms even larger than the pages can contain. At his discovery of his bully status, he is shown deflating, and ...more
Shelli
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very simple picture book for young readers about bullying, standing up for others and forgiveness. Kids love to read and respond to situations that are unfair; since most of them have had their own experiences where they felt they were treated unfairly. Parents and educators can open the door to this important topic very easily with this story.
Alice
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book about bullying.... I like that Bully is a bull and he doesn't really know he is being a bully until it is pointed out to him, then he says sorry. I like that part. Most bullying books are about how to deal with bullies, this book is for kids who ARE bullies! Very easy to read! Good message!
Cory
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shall I admit that this book made me get a bit teary while I read it in my office? It's just kind of a perfect little gem, where everything comes together and everything is perfectly planned and it's just so cute! The emotions that she manages to convey in her relatively simple art amazes me.
Franki Sibberson
I loved the word play/choice in this one and how the tone made all the difference. Great for beginning of the year conversations.
Ruth Ann
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, issues
Using interesting visuals, and ordinary name-calling (like "chicken" for a chicken) this is a powerful picture book about bullying. The tides are turned on the bully when a goat finds his voice!
Nicole Gray
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
A Bull with an attitude. He is rude to other animals and the animals are scared of him. One of the animals calls him a bully and it makes him think about how he is acting. He decides to say sorry and asked if they can play. Cute book to teach about being nice to others.
Brandi M.
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
1. Opening: Today we are going to read a book called Bully. I want you to look at the cover and think about what we will be reading in the text. Would anyone like to share their book prediction with the class?

We will be reading about a bull who acts like a bully. This text has very few words, but contains illustrations that add to the meaning of the text. I want you to notice the illustrations and how they change throughout the book.

One thing we will be discussing during reading is how to make
Tammi Peterman
Opening: The book we are going to read today is Bully. Take a look at the cover what do you think this book is going to be about? [children respond]

Look at the bull's face on the cover what does it tell you about the bull? [children respond]. Let’s take a look at the end paper which is a blank or decorated paper at the beginning or end of a book. Now we have 2 bulls with very different facial expressions. What do you think is going to happen? [children respond]

Let’s listen to the story to find
Z
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sparse text (a mere 18 words with a few that repeat) mix with bold effective art to explore the complex issues of bullying, taunting, standing up for others and forgiveness.

I must say that I really appreciated the attention that was put into the book design. Having the bullying start on the endpapers gives the reader the context in which to place the bull that becomes the book's main character (in the end pages he is bullied/shunned by another bull). During the pages of the book, this same bull
Mercedes Enciso
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 307
Seeger, L. (2013). Bully. New York, NY: Roaring Brook Press.

The book Bully is about a young bull who was told to go away by bigger, older bulls. Hurt, the younger bull started responding the same way when other farm animals asked him if he would like to play. “Slowpoke!” he would yell to the turtle. With each insult that the young bull gave, the bigger and scarier he would get. That is until, the goat stands up to the bull and calls him a bully. It is then that the young bull realizes the goat
Laura Vaccaro Seeger's modern, stylized illustrations capture the emotions of the young animals involved perfectly. Readers will empathize with the little bull as he's rejected by his parents, and may understand why he passes on his hurt to others. What they may not understand is why he changes his behavior. In a book with so few words (there are more in this review's first sentence than in the entire book), each one has to count, so when the little goat responds to the bull's insults by calling ...more
Linda
It seems that everyone is writing something about bullies. Although this is brightly illustrated with few words, it teaches a good point. A bull-y runs around calling other animals names when they offer to play—a pig is a “pig”, a turtle is a “slowpoke”, and a chicken is a “chicken”, a goat finally stands its ground and calls the bull a BULLY! The bull-y backs down, seeming to realize that it’s being a bully by its actions and everyone is much happier. The book will start many conversations I wo ...more
Pita-eater
Aug 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book because I thought, "Oh, a bull that's a bully -- cute." (Plus, the author's second name - Vaccaro - reminded me of the Latin word for cow - vacca. She must know something about cows, eh? This should be a good read.) Then, I opened the book and proceeded to read one of the most vapid children's book ever. It's not often that I wish I could unread a book, but this is one of them. The story is simplified so much that there is no plot left. And, there is no explanation for why ...more
Holly Mueller
This simple story shows how bullying might get started. Bull is told to "GO AWAY!" by a bigger bull, so he turns around and starts bullying Rabbit, Chicken, and Turtle when they ask him to play. Fun word play ensues as Bully insults each animal according to their characteristics. When they all DO go away, Bull feels badly. Kids will laugh at the humor, but will understand the implications of bullying. Good conversation starter for the beginning of the year for young children. This is my last sum ...more
babyhippoface
I'm in the minority, but I wasn't impressed with Seeger's newest book. It just seemed...a little too obvious, maybe. It's not really didactic, but it's certainly not subtle. But then again, perhaps her intended audience is PreK and Kindergartners? That's the only group I can think might like it without seeing it as just too "in their face" with its message. A teachers of kids that age could probably lead a pretty good guided discussion about it.
Susan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
The Bully is a bull, the name calling is calling a pig a pig, a chicken chicken, telling a skunk he stinks. The simple text and bold colorful artwork would work well with opening a discussion with the toddler set about name calling and being mean. The fact that the bullying is so easily remedied is the stuff of fantasy and older kids who know real bullies will find it too young.
Meg
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A GREAT little book! The eye-catching illustrations and sparse wording would make for a great discussion starter for preschoolers who may need to talk about bullying (what it looks like, how it hurts others, and why not to). The play on words here is cute, and I think this book is definitely worth of the pre-K shelf.
Great Books
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: birth-4
When a larger bull yells at brown bull, he takes his upset out on the other farm animals driving them away by shouting and name calling. Goat calls him on his behavior in this thoughtful tale with minimal words. When brown bull calms down, he apologizes for his behavior and rejoins his friends. Reviewer 5.
Michelle Nero
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hmmm...was hoping for more of a story, but I guess simplicity will have to do. Not sure how easy it is to call out a "bully" and for that "bully" to turn around and understand his hurtful choices. Still need to ponder this one . . .
Julie Esanu
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A good place to start a conversation about bullying and I like the "choose kind" message. However, when our counselors discuss bullying with our students, they emphasize that bullying involves repeated statements or acts.
June
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bully requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices 2014
I love the art work and the fact that the bully has been bullied. The resolution is a little quick...
Inge
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, kids, picture-books
Anti-bullying message without being didactic or pushy.
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • Open This Little Book
  • Knit Your Bit: A World War I Story
  • I Scream! Ice Cream!: A Book of Wordles
  • Bluebird
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne