Start by marking “Alichino (Alichino, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alichino (Alichino, #1)

Alichino

(Alichino #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,269 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Beautiful creatures called "Alichino" grant any wish to those who find them--but at a price! A young lady searching for an Alichino wants to bring her brother back to life. She meets Tsugiri, a handsome young man who she thinks is an Alichino. While Tsugiri turns out to be a mere mortal, he does have a mysterious connection with these rare creatures--a connection that brin ...more
Published February 8th 2005 by TokyoPop (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Alichino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alichino

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Would you like to see it? I can show you the place... where you lost everything and were reborn.

The best thing about this manga is the artwork. It's stunning, delicate, and detailed. Sure, the characters seem to have problems emoting at times, but the artwork really is beautiful.

Unfortunately, the art is the best thing about this series. Yes, the story is a good idea, but nothing comes of it. There's no information about the world this takes place in or the origin of Alichinos. I'm not sure th
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
If I were to be honest, this would rank a 3 for the storyline. What brought this to a 5 (for me) is the artwork. The absolutely breathtaking, spectacular quality of the artwork. I'm not going to go into details on how much I love the guys are drawn in this manga because then I'd be exposed for the enormous pervert that I am.

I own this manga for the artwork alone, untranslated. I just take it out and look at the pictures because they're pretty.

Pictures *_*
K.
The art elevates this manga significantly. It is gorgeous even if the people do tend to have a bad case of the Same Face Syndrome - at least that face is pretty!

The muddled concepts of alichino and the oddly translated "bond" humans are the crux of the plot. Further reading only makes picture murkier. Are the alichino just really, really ridiculously good-looking wish-granting humanoids or just assholes preying on weak-hearted humans? There's a lot of exposition, but not much actually said.

But s
Janouk
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The art is beautiful but the story and the characters... meh.
Stephanie M
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Alichino are beautiful creatures with the power to grant any wish -- for a price. Tsugiri, a young man with a mysterious past, attempts to help a girl find an Alichino to save her brother's life, but learns he has a special -- and dangerous -- relationship to these creatures...

Enough cannot be said about how gorgeous Alichino's artwork is. Its delicate, intricate, Gothic style with breath-takingly beautiful characters is captivating.

However, the art is all Alichino has going for it, as the plot
Adam Duclos
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this manga. Its the sort that has a very incoherent story compounded by having terrible art. Many of the characters, especially the women, look pretty much the same. There is a bad guy, a good guy who is sometimes in the form of an owl, and a random girl who all look identical. The art is bare bones, you'll get the character being drawn and barely any background to show where he/she is, or what is going on, and action scenes are like "Okay, I think he's clutching his head, ...more
Selena
Didn't do much for me, but the art was pretty. It's a gothic-style manga and very creepy.
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, manga
2 out of 5 stars on Looking Glass Reads.

Sometimes we pick manga we never heard of up at the library. Sometimes this a turning point, a time when we discover older or more obscured series that we collect the boxed sets of and treasure forever. This is not one of those times.

Alichino Volume 1 by Kouyu Shurei is not the most excellent manga on my library’s shelf. However, it is one which they’ve collected all of the volumes of and that was enough for me.

The story opens with a young woman searching
Frank Pellett
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 5 out of 10
Violence: Moderate (Some blood)
Fan Service: Light (Occasional female looking creatures)
Sexual Content: Very Light (Mentioned Once)
Type: Dark Savior
Read: 1 Volume
More?: Yes
Plot Analysis: An Alichino is an immortal creature which is able to change shape and feeds on the souls of those to whom they grant wishes. The main character of the story is a young man with the power to kill these immortals. His type draw the Alichino like moths to a flame, but for some reason, one has prot
Samantha
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can't say I like the art style, but the setting is kind of interesting. As for the characters... There's a bunch of characters introduced in a small time frame, and their designs make it hard to tell them apart. As such, there were moments I wasn't sure which character was in the scene. Also, I was hoping we would follow the young lady in the blurb a little more, as it's a little weird she starts out the story, but then is quickly forgotten.

If I didn't have the second volume right next to me,
Rayen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-manhwa
I liked this manhwa for now. The artwork is beautiful. Like, seriously beautiful and detailed. I like the way the owl looks and I also like the atmosphere it creates. It reminds me the Bride of Water God a bit. Many things happened in the first volume and we already had a quick backgroud to a hero's past. I just wonder how this will turn out, because this series only has three volumes and I heard it wasn't completed because of stopped publication or something...
Mary Keroson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am not a fan of graphic novels.
Lucy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent set of books..read them when I was younger, but they have always stuck with me. Very somber mood and complex read, but well worth it. The art is phenomenal, nothing else to be said on that!
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it
From Publishers Weekly
This example of shojo, manga for teen girls, will captivate anyone by its art alone. The story involves "Alichinos," beautiful, supernatural beings hunted by humans because they have the power to grant wishes; in fact, the name means "those who entice," and the Alichinos actually feed on the souls of those who seek them out. They especially hunger for the "Kusabi," humans born with exceptionally powerful souls who are the only beings able to kill an Alichino. This opening i
Graziano
‘Beautiful creatures called Alichino grant wishes to those in need - but at a price!’ (back cover)

Alichino (Harlequin, Arlecchino) is one of the devils in the Hell (Inferno) by Dante Alighieri.

Alichino’s main characters:
- Tsugiri, with the power of kusabi
- Enju, Tsugiri’s guardian.
- Ryoko, Tsugiri’s master and Myobi’s lover.
- Myobi, usually in the form of a owl. otherwise a beautiful girl.
- Hyura, protected Tsugiri when he was a child.
- onihcilA, many.

Selling your soul to devil makes your wish
Rachel
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Alichino's exquisitely delicate, doll-like artwork (similar to Paradise Kiss, but with more detail in the line work and backgrounds), proves to be its greatest draw, despite a story that has some intriguing points. In the world of this fantasy manga, creatures called Alichino live off of the despair of humans. Their beauty easily convinces the desperate to take their deal, only to realize that the cost is not necessarily worth it. Most humans never meet an Alichino, but for the young man Tsugiri ...more
Carolyn
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Alichino is a manga series written by Kouyu Shurei. Alichino are beautiful creatures that can change form and grant anyones' wish for exchange of their soul. One day, a young girl starts talking to Tsugiri, thinking that he is an Alichino. When she learns that he is not, she asks him if he knows anything about them. He says no and goes back to his house, where he lives with a guy named Enju and an Alichino in the form of an owl. A little while later, Tsugiri has to save the girl's life from an A ...more
Christine Lloyd
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
So so pretty, almost ridiculously so. The plot is trying for deep and symbolic, and I found myself suffering from the "I've read a lot of books so I know what's coming next" syndrome. This is very much the hero's journey (tragic past variant), so while I didn't know the specifics (like what the hero's magical power is or why his mentor has taken him under his wing), I knew the general outline of things to come, and I wasn't really surprised by it much. The story probably would have had a much de ...more
Sharon L
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I just need to make a sidenote here- The artwork is amazing, and being shallow little me that always judge a manga/manhwa by it's art, I would have given it 5 stars.

BUT I take off one star for the plot that wasn't amazing even though it had potenial.

And another star I take off for the fact that it went on hiatus and that's it. I can't give 5 or 4 stars to a manhwa that stopped just STOPPED in the middle and was never continued.

For that reason alone I would have given it 2 stars, yes I hold a
Tvaleros (SpadesHighReads)
Beautiful creatures that are beckoned by human sorrow, desires, and longing. They grant any wish of your heart's desire, but you must be ready to pay them back! All they ask for is to be compensated with the same 'weighted' price as the wish itself.
To many manga enthusiast, it will be apparent from the start that the art work is amazing. But as a forewarn, this manga is cut short. There are only 3 Volumes to the series, and Volume 4 is on hiatus. I only 'wish' it could continue =)
Alichino is abo
Cara Marie
Oct 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I read this at the library. I don't know that it intrigued me enough plotwise for me to actually read on (which, knowing our library, would probably require buying it), but the art is ridiculously pretty, and the boys are femme without actually looking like girls. It's set in a fantasy world, with the story focusing on the alichino, who are not unlike faery, being seductive and heartless. There is a fair bit of angst and mysterious backstories, but despite this, the story didn't really engage me ...more
Anna
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I forgot how awesome this manga was. I still believe it has some of the most beautiful art I have ever seen in a manga. The characters are SO gorgeous, and yet still distinct from one another!

The story is pretty neat and original. The translation is excellent and the plot moves at a good pace. I didn't feel behind with any of the storytelling or character buildup. And Shurei did an EXCELLENT job with cliffhangers! I'll have fun reading the next volume, although I know I'll feel disappointed once
Julaybib
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Manga yang dari segi artwork bisa dibilang luar biasa. Detail, tata letak, dan gaya menggambarnya benar-benar enak dilihat dan dinikmati. Dari segi cerita sepertinya kalau nggak bisa dibilang biasa saja ya malah rada kurang menarik. Dari dulu nggak pernah bisa menyelesaikan baca chapter 1 karena bosan atau malah sibuk memelototi detail gambarnya yang luar biasa indah. Mungkin suatu hari nanti kalau lagi niat dan kurang kerjaan bakalan dibaca.
Arsnoctis
Letto nella sua edizione italiana ormai diversi anni fa. Ricordo distintamente di aver adorato le tavole dei volumi 1,2,3, ma di aver trovato la storia assolutamente inconcludente. Il tratto di Shurei è sottilissimo e affilato come un rasoio, ogni tanto rischia di risultare eccessivo in fatto di dettagli non richiesti e non lo consiglio a chi non sia abituato alle figure eteree e agli improbabili panneggi simil arabeggianti.
Saw
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The story is lackluster and limp but I can't ignore the impact the art had on me. As a visual media, the art should be part of the rating, and here it is breathtakingly beautiful.

In the end, though, the art is too static and beautiful to add anything to the already stagnant story. Bland story in turn made the art bland as well.
Shannon
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, manga
This story had so much potential. The concept of beautiful beings granting wishes is a good base, and it could have gotten better with the twist that the Alichino aren't as good as you would think. However, the story fell flat. The characters are uninteresting and the plot became uninspiring. I won't even bother reading the next volume.
SewUnicornish
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Crazy mad beautiful art! The story I found to be pretty deep but toward the end left you a bit confused. I assume the next volume would clear up some holes that this volume left. An enjoyable read but mostly pretty to look at.
Mazohyst
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, stunning art. All the characters are almost perfect. Although it's pretty much the same plot as any other gothic manga. It's a shame that I haven't found volume two anywhere. Still a great read.
Alan D.D.
Didn't like that much, kinda confussing, but I think will get better on the next books (hope so.) On the other hand, GORGEOUS ART.
No me gustó de todo, es algo confuso, pero creo que se pondrá mejor en los próximos libros (espero). Por otra parte, EXCELENTE ARTE.
Christine
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, own-it
It was better than I thought it'd be after reading a few reviews. I think it's because I knew going in to treat every beautiful person as a guy. The only thing that bothers me is all the girls look exactly the same. *confusing*
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 01
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 1 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #1)
  • Model, Vol. 3
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 5
  • Legal Drug, Volume 01
  • The Tarot Cafe, #1

Alichino (3 books)
  • Alichino (Alichino, #2)
  • Alichino (Alichino, #3)