Start by marking “Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!” as Want to Read:
Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!

Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!

(Anna Hibiscus #5)

Published June 1st 2012 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!

Lynn
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I flat out adored the first 4 Anna Hibiscus stories. Now Kane Miller is releasing the final four in the story in the US. Early chapter books, usually with 4 interconnected stories, the books tell about little Anna Hibiscus's daily life in "Africa, beautiful Africa." Anna Hibiscus lives with her large extended family in a big white house in a modern African city. For American children whose mental image of Africa means villages or wide plains, these books are especially good. Anna's adventures ar ...more
Cindy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly my favorite so far. I laughed so hard I almost cried at the first story about the chicken.
Ugochinyelu Anidi
May 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-books
It's an ok story about a little girl which will resonate with little girls all over the world.

However, this book propagates the idea that Africa is a country! It is especially disturbing because it was written by a Nigerian. Some sentences were just plain deprecatory : 'Getting dressed at home in Africa took no time at all', 'A traditional African curtsey' saying hello 'very politely and Africanly'

Nigeria (the author's birth country) has more than 250 ethnic groups, each with its ow
Martha Meyer
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Atinuke has added another perfect story about blending cultures to her terrific Anna Hibiscus series. There is a gentle introduction to income disparity. There is an ongoing and very funny exploration of the difference between pets in the developed and developing world. And as always, a celebration of extended family that is the hallmark of Atinuke's work. Recommended for a great read aloud, many ages of children and even adults.
Tanja
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading more about Anna's life (maybe I liked this second book even better), traveling back to (West) Africa with her, tasting the sights and sounds, and feeling even a bit home sick... Definitely a very unique series of beginning chapter books that will be loved by children on the African continent as well as in other parts of the world. I hope it will inspire other African writers to follow Atinuke's example.
B
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Anna has returned to her family's compound in Africa. I felt some anxiety in this book for the little chick she adopts as a pet, considering the attitude of the family towards animals. In fact, for me this discussion of how animals are viewed and treated dominated for me in this book, making it my least favorite of them all.
Anastasia Tuckness
Hooray for more Anna Hibiscus! I just discovered #5-#8 at our library recently. It is always good to read these books--I love how they are true to life and enjoyable as well. There are a few hard things along the way--Anna learns a few lessons about others' poverty, for example.

Highly recommended! (Although I think the first few were somewhat better, thus the 4 star rating.
Jennifer Rutherford
Oct 01, 2018
Jessica
May 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Atinuke is a Nigerian-born author who started her career doing traditional oral storytelling. Her books include a Boston Globe–Horn Book Honor Winner, a Notable Book for a Global Society, a Cybils Award Winner, and an Africana Award Winner. She lives in Wales.

Anna Hibiscus (8 books)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!
  • Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Go Well, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Love from Anna Hibiscus!
  • You're Amazing, Anna Hibiscus!