Start by marking “Olaf Reads” as Want to Read:

Joan M. Lexau

Olaf Reads

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  15 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Published 1961 by Dial Boks

To ask other readers questions about Olaf Reads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olaf Reads

Ms.
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Could this have been the book that somehow paved the way for a librarian in the family?
Dianna
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
As Olaf learns to read he puts his mother's letter in the basket for litter. He obeys the word Pull on the fire alarm and can not quite make out the Quiet sign in the library. As Olaf learns to read, he takes his elders on quite a few adventures. In the end Olaf proudly brings home 2 books instead of one, since he is a good reader, and is quite happy to be initiated into the world of reading. This is definately a kid of an earlier time but he still gets into enough mischief to be apealing to som ...more
Peter
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recently found this old book in my parent's house when I took my boys. I remember loving this book in second grade. The writing is terse, pointed. The illustrations are blocky, essential. The story is full of narrative tension and irony. The hero is trying hard, but still confused by these adults. A wonderful story for kids.
Josiah
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have always liked this simple story, designed for readers that are just beginning to go it alone in the world of literature. The capers on which Olaf embarks as he begins to get into reading are genuinely humorous and make for fun reading material, and I think that readers of all types can enjoy this book.
Janice
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 04-owned-books
Love this book, contains humor, as Olaf learns to read and miss-understands words and meanings.
Katja
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Olaf is too adorable for words.
Miriam
Jun 10, 2009
Erin
Nov 24, 2008
Raizy Jawitz
rated it did not like it
Apr 04, 2018