Start by marking “How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?” as Want to Read:
How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?

How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
It is a sad moment when a young boy discovers he doesn't have enough money to buy the waggely tailed dog he sees in the pet store window. Nothing but that waggely tailed pup will do as a pet for the boy, so he's off to make some money to buy the dog of his dreams!

Misadventures follow and by the end of the week the boy has less money than when he started. Thinking he will j
Board Book, 24 pages
Published July 1st 2001 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?

Hilary
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-toddler
This is an adorable book, written in rhyme to fit the music (if you wish to sing it) and the story is accompanied by lovely pictures as you follow a little boy's attempt to earn money to buy the doggie while he also does nice things for his family. I've never yet managed to make it through without tearing up.
Zoe Supina
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: song-books
This book takes you through the journey of a little boy who falls in love with a puppy that he sees in a store window one day, and the steps he takes in order to make that dog his own. After several failed attempts to make money, he feels hopeless that he’ll ever get the dog. But once his parents see how dedicated he is, they decide to surprise him with a gift…

The pictures really make this story. Trapani does a great job at adding details that make you want to stop and appreciate the illustratio
Caitlin Moran
Summary:
This book tells the story of a boy who saw a dog in a pet shop window and became determined to make the pup his own. Originally, he did not have enough money to afford the dog, even after the store owner offered to take five dollars off of the price of sixty (the boy only had eleven dollars and fifty cents). The pet store worker tried to interest the boy in other possible pets, but he knew which one he wanted. Not being able to afford his desired pet did not discourage the boy, he said
Joy
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The little boy wants his doggy so badly, but doesn't have enough money. He wants to save his money, but can't. It is raining and nobody comes to his lemonade stand, he gets sick, then he buys his little sister frozen yogurt, his mother chocolates, and his father tissues. He returns to the store only to find that the doggy is gone! When he returns home, he finds that his parents bought him the doggy to thank him for being so nice.
Toryn Coombs
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I had heard the first verse to this song and had no idea there was more to the story. It teaches such a good message and actually gave me chills at the end. Could be fun when teaching music, I could also see this being fun to act out and sing as well! So glad i picked this one up to read!!
Anna Wendling
A boy spots a dog in the store window and instantly fall in love. He is short on money, so he tries to earn money throughout the week to be able to buy it, but instead ends up spending all his money helping his family. Will he be able to save up enough money before the puppy is sold? This is a very sweet story that K-2nd graders will love. It teaches children about hard work and motivation.
Mary
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sag-character
This is a nice book. The little boy wants the doggie in the window. He doesn't have enough money. He tries to raise the money with a lemonade stand. He gets sick. Instead he uses his money to help his sister, mom an dad. At the end of the book his mom and dad surprise him and buy the dog for him. Wonderful book.
Ashley
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The moral of this story is great! It is written very well, going along with the tune of the song so you may sing it if you'd like. The illustrations that accompany the story are beautiful. This is a wonderful story for children holding some great teaching lessons.
Kristen
My 3 year old truly loves this book. We have read it many times in the past week! Every spread is another verse in the familiar song. I wish there was some way to make it about adopting a pet instead of buying one, but otherwise it's pretty solid.
Meg McGregor
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I have been reading this book ever since its publication! It was a favorite of my daughter's while she was growing up and is now a favorite one to read at all story times! Great story and whimsical illustrations make this classic nursery rhyme a keeper!
Crystal
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
It is in a song format. The students will love this book!
Melanie
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite childhood songs, with several new verses that teach a great moral.
Joanna
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A delight.
Afton
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very fun to read to and sing along with the kids. :)
Julia Jasztal
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
...
Hoang
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, reviewed
Three things about this book:
1) http://youtu.be/J6h59S9mPKM
2) Selling lemonade in the rain. What a boss.
3) The dog is juggling on page 11!
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
This book has good illustrations...they make it easy for my students to look at and retell or make up their own story. It can also be used for sequencing days of the week.
Vivian
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I recommend singing only the first four pages, talking the next six pages (not necessarily reading the text -- descriptions are fine and faster), and then finishing by singing the last two pages.
Haley
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this little book. It actually tells a good story too!
Adrienne
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book has fun illustrations, and I love the story line. It's so sweet to see the little boy using his money to do nice things for his family, and then the twist at the end is great. :)
Julianna
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
I though that this book was really adorable. It was cute, and silly, and had a nice moral and great illustration. All around good.
Melanie