Start by marking “Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

Blackbird Singing: Lyrics And Poems, 1965 1999 (Signed Limited Edition)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  551 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A landmark event and cause for international celebrationnever before collected, the poems and lyrics of Paul McCartney. This slipcased, numbered, and signed edition of Blackbird Singing is limited to a printing of 250 copies.

To actually read Paul McCartney's poems, whether exuberant love ballads or poignant messages of deepest grief, is to revel in the sheer power of lang

Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Singing

Andrew
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing; Paul McCartney is not a lyrics guy. "Eleanor Rigby," sure, but that's an exception, not the rule. My personal favourite is a bit of an exaggeration, but, as an example, I present, as included in the book, the lyrics to "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?":

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it in the road?

No one will be watching us,
why don't we do it i
Isabell
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, british-irish
I admit to taking this book from the library shelf simply because of its beautiful cover and title. Only then became aware that it was written by Paul McCartney. I don't know much about him, other than that he was one of the Beatles and that his daughter makes cool clothes. My mom and dad first kissed at a party in the 70s while dancing to "Hey Jude." My dad looked a bit like him, too: big soulful eyes, soft narrow lips, and a thick moptop for hair.

I had to check it out.

The introduction is writ
Dana
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I honestly don't know much about poetry. I've never been a huge fan of it but from time to time, I do like to sit down and try and explore it a little. I picked this book up years ago during the height of my Beatles phase and decided to re read it tonight.

It's an easy read and some of the poems are amusing but I think that Paul should stick to music. Some of his songs are written in this book and it was actually interesting to read the songs vs the poems. You can tell the man is a lyricist.
Austin Gullett
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep it short: I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan. This includes both poems and lyrics (as the title indicates), and I'm of the firm opinion that Paul's work is best set to music. His original poems are definitely interesting, but they (let me see if I can word this correctly) read as if they were either written to be songs or written to break with Paul's usual songwriting techniques. Like, I rarely thought, "This is a poem." That being said, seeing Paul's experiments with poetry and re-reading ...more
Nicole Rizik
Como diría un amigo viejo (que no es lo mismo que un viejo amigo) este libro está lleno de sorpresas. Paul estaba muy lejos de ser mi Beatle favorito, yo siempre fui Team Lennon. Sin embargo, este libro me ha llevado a comprender que el éxito de los Beatles se encuentra atrás de Paul.

La simplicidad de sus letras, las historias cotidianas, los recuerdos de viejos tiempos -de mejores tiempos- y el espíritu positivo hacia el futuro... Te golpean en la cara y te ponen a reflexionar sobre muchos aspe
Josephine
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bøger-jeg-ejer
This review might not be totally objective. Because I'm a big fan of Sir Paul McCartney and his music and especially his lyrics.
I've always thought that Paul McCartney has written some of the most beautiful songs... in the world. The lyrics are often a simple story with a poetic feel to it, so why not publish them on paper as a collection? It makes sense.

All I can say is: read it. And admire the art of writing songs. The thing about Sir Paul McCartney is, that it seems so easy - and thats the
Adam
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I am unimpressed. The introduction of this book entreats us to forget Paul McCartney the musician and focus on Paul McCartney the poet. If that was the goal, the lyrics should have been left out, or at least they should have been presented in a separate section. I've heard and enjoyed McCartney's songs since infancy, and I've heard the stories behind many of those songs time and again; it's just not possible for me to divorce the lyrics from all of that history.

Instead, Beatles lyrics, Wings ly
Jessica
A long and winding road that leads to your door,
Will never disappear, I've seen that road before,
It always leads me here, lead me to your door.

The wild and windy night that the rain washed away,
Has left a pool of tears crying for the day.
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way.

Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried,
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried,
But still they lead me back to the long, winding road,
You left me standing here, a long, long time ago.
Don't lea
Hanna
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Enjoyed reading it.
First poem collection I've read.
Kari
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These pages are filled with some heartfelt well written poems, but most of the pages contained really below average poems. Paul McCartney’s strength in deftly conjoining words with music made me have high expectations for this collection, so for me, some of his poetry left something to be desired (music)— but that might not be the case for other McCartney fans, it’s hard to say. It was worth reading since it was a relatively short collection and had brief moments of excellence; however, I would ...more
Nyleen
This was my poetry book for my 2017 reading challenge.
P
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love The Beatles and Paul is my favorite, but lyrics are less than half of the magic in his music. According to "biographer" Peter Ames Carlin, McCartney put this book together because he got tired of the Lennon/McCartney credit being placed on all Beatles songs--even ones Paul wrote completely by himself. This was an arrangement pushed by Brian Epstein when Paul was only 20 years old. By releasing the lyrics under his name only, Paul could finally take full credit for them and he wouldn't have ...more
Louis
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reviewed
Well this was disappointing.
I was hoping for something more coming from the lyricist of the Beatles. To be fair, some poems were real gems though. But when taking into account the bigger picture they are the exception to the rule. The song lyrics that were included are, in my opinion, not always the most beautiful or fitting. Most seem to be added randomly. Except for instance Eleanor Rigby. Anyway, this book wasn't really worth my time.
Roxanne
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is important in that it removes the popular music from the beauty of the words...you truly see and "hear" the words...and they are lovely, poignant, pertinent...

Would that Sir McCartney would stick to the elegance of his writing and leave the crescendo and twinkling of his music on the shelf...he's no longer a rock star...what an impression it would make were he to do readings of his works and leave the rock and roll to the aging Rolling Stones...
Eric Outen
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually had no idea that Paul McCartney has such strong poetic ability. It's his poems about loneliness that really speak loudly to me. "Once upon a long ago" was my favorite here.

"Picking up scales and broken chords
Puppy-dog tails in the house of lords
Tell me darling what can it mean?

Making up moons in a minor key
What have those tunes got to do with me
Tell me darling, where have you been?"
Andrew Doran
The co-author goes out of his way in the introduction to explain why Paul McCartney's writings are valid works of poetry. I'm no expert but I would say that there isn't much in the book that really pushes the case forward on its own merit.

Some surprises are present but they are few and far between. The lyrics to 'Once Upon A Long Ago', for example, work fine in a song but don't offer anything extra on a printed page. Worth a flick-through but not a great collection.
Brittaina
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Paul's lyrics, especially the nature themed ones. He says simple things beautifully rich and complex things beautifully simple.
Jaramy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
As much as I love Paul McCartney and he is my favorite Beatle, this book seemed to be haphazardly put together. It's thrown together with mostly just lyrics from his songs, and a few poems. His writing is nowhere near as creative as John's. Plus John could write prose and poetry that were not even connected to his songs, and publish them. This feels almost like a sad attempt to say, "hey I am a writer too".
Linda Lipko
This is a book of McCartney's poems, including the words to songs, some which he wrote with John Lennon, and some he completed by himself.

There were some obscure poems that were not easily read. It was interesting to try to read words to some of the popular songs as though they were stand alone poems. In that context, many were difficult to follow.
Rafa Pina
There are some nice surprises in this book. I'm not much into poetry, but I did appreciate some of the poems in Blackbird Singing. The song lyrics are awesome (I mean, we are talking about Paul McCartney here) and can be viewed under a different light if you block out Paul the Beatle and focus on Paul the guy from Liverpool. Good book. Quick read. Different.
Shannon Easter
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's fun to read poems by Paul McCartney in addition to Beatles lyrics we all know. This book proves that writers just write whenever they feel the need, and I think that's a beautiful thing. It's who writers are, it's what they do, whether or not anyone ever reads it all!
Sonya
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul McCartney's poems and lyrics, organized together in a short, pleasant collection. While I was reading lyrics, I heard music in my head. Yet the words themselves on a page could well be considered poetry. This book made me pay more attention to lyrics in songs in general.
Simon Sweetman
A re-read from first reading back when it was released - the poems are very weak, the lyrics are hit/miss on the page, but you hear the melodies in your head as you read them - and thankfully, for this saves it somewhat.
Amanda
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really cool!
Paul McCartney is my favorite singer, and I absolutely adore his lyrics. So, I thought I'd check out his poetry.
There were a lot that were really good. Sir Paul really has a way with words. :)
Thom
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I love many of the personal poems of McCartney included in this tome, I still can't rate it that highly. However, if you ever had a hard time understanding one of his song lyrics it is a handy source to have around. Favorite poem: "Ivan"
Shelbie Hughes
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. Highly reccomend it to beatles fans
Alisa
Feb 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty thoroughly boring to me even as a Beatles-loving teenybopper, and it's still pretty thoroughly boring to me now. Sorry Paul.
Samuel Matteo
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading, particularly interesting for stuff that's never surfaced before
Kenneth Zawacki
the pomes are good. i would have given it four stars if he didn't put beatles song lyrics (ie maxwells silver hammer) in the book. unfair.
Jana
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather bland collection of poems and lyrics to many of Paul's songs. I really have no idea why this was made into a book.
  • Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon
  • The Beatles: Unseen Archives
  • Meet the Beatles: A Cultural History of the Band That Shook Youth, Gender, and the World
  • Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • Paul McCartney
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison
Sir James Paul McCartney MBE, known as Paul McCartney, is an English singer-songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet, entrepreneur, painter, record producer, film producer, and animal-rights activist. He gained worldwide fame as one of the founders and members of The Beatles. McCartney and John Lennon formed one of the most influential and successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote so ...more
More about Paul McCartney

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“Sadness isn't sadness. It's happiness in a black jacket. Tears are not tears. They're balls of laughter dipped in salt. Death is not death. It's life that's jumped off a tall cliff.” 134 likes
“Take these broken wings and learn to fly.” 97 likes