Start by marking “Animal Watching: A New Guide to the Animal World” as Want to Read:
Animal Watching: A New Guide to the Animal World

Animal Watching: A New Guide to the Animal World

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The author of such successes as The Naked Ape, Catwatching, and Dogwatching is back with lavishly illustrated full-color guide to the eccentric, idiosyncratic, and extremely clever variety of animal behavior. Destined to be Morris' most popular book. 500 full-color photographs.
Published October 28th 1990 by Crown (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Watching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Watching

DrosoPHila
The easiest way to describe this book is by saying it is like a David Attenborough documentary in literary form. One senses it is aimed at, and will be enjoyed by, the same people. The text is introductory but fairly comprehensive.

There are technically-superb colour photographs throughout, with a glossy film feel one doesn't get with modern digital cameras, and high-speed flashlit night-time photographs with subjects who were no doubt extremely startled by the experience.

Morris however generally
Laura Gilfillan
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a discussion and some tips of how to watch animals, but instead got some general information about animal behavior, broken down into separate chapters for feeding, mating, raising young, and so forth. So I was a bit disappointed, but enjoyed the interesting tidbits about animal behavior.
Kevin Driskill
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zoology
Morris is always fresh in his insight into the world of animal behavior. This is a favorite book of mine because it is one my children wanted to look through time after time. I have many of his works and my love of animals has grown and matured in understanding for Desmond's easily digestible explanations.
Katie Van Sloten
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I'm not going to read this book in one day, week or month - its so full of fascinating information and wonderful photography! I will enjoy reading a littled from it everyday! Anyone looking for joy should pick up this book and embrace the childlike wonder that is sometimes buried so deeply that it threatens never to surface. You'll never look at the world the same again.
J. D.
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read Desmond Morris since "The Human Zoo". This work,
an effective prequel to "Manwatching", is an excellent non-
technical survey of animal behavior. It should interest all
those fascinated by natural history. A fast and aborbing read.
Meirav Rath
Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young animal lovers
It's a kiddies' book, aimed at the younger generation and it hits the mark. It's informative, appetizing and intriguing. If your kids love animals and can't be peeled off the TV screen when you're watching Animal Planet or National Geographic, this is the perfect book to give them.
Laine
Jun 25, 2012 added it
This book is a brilliant informative piece on the animal kingdom and has facts and details on nearly animal out there. the insight into their behavior is fascinating.
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of if not the favourite book of my childhood, if I wasn't reading it I was looking at the photos and copying them/drawing them, very inspiring book all round for me.
Okamiona
Feb 27, 2013
Jeannette
May 03, 2015
de ook 1 2 Apr 25, 2008 11:06PM
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.