Start by marking “Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir” as Want to Read:
Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir

Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir

Since its publication in 1996, Holy Land has become an American classic. In "quick, translucent prose" (Michiko Kakutani, New York Times) that is at once lyrical and unsentimental, D. J. Waldie recounts growing up in Lakewood, California, a prototypical post-World War II suburb. Laid out in 316 sections as carefully measured as a grid of tract houses, Holy Land is by turns ...more
Published April 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Land

The Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckCannery Row by John SteinbeckThe Day of the Locust by Nathanael WestThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Best California Books
59th out of 185 books — 148 voters
The Mayor of Castro Street by Randy ShiltsA Rage for Justice by John JacobsParadise Lost by Peter SchragBirdbrain by Virginia ArthurTransforming California by Stephanie S. Pincetl
California Politics
18th out of 22 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

May 07, 2014 Heleen rated it did not like it
Holy or not, I definitely cursed this book to hell. Waldie's prose is as unimaginative as the grid of the city he writes about. If I understand the idea of this book correctly ‒ an exploration of how the place one lives in shapes one's life ‒ there definitely is something wrong in its execution. Waldie prides himself on 'telling stories', the stories of the suburb he lives in. However, he devotes large parts of the book to the history of Lakewood's construction, including more numbers than narra ...more
Aug 02, 2007 Swati rated it really liked it
a loving defense of suburbia. it's written in strange short chapters that go from light to dark to easy to complex fast. it's hard on the stomach that way, but the very last paragraph makes it all worthwhile, and reading that chapter is like the moment you make out a magic eye picture (anyone else remember those?)
Vince Potenza
Jul 10, 2010 Vince Potenza rated it it was amazing
Like Waldie, I grew up in the 1950s in a "development" that months before we moved in was farmland - "truck farms" was what they used to call them - only it was on the south shore of Long Island instead of outside of Los Angeles. All the houses were exactly the same. There were kids everywhere - no house on our street had less than two and one had as many as seven. Just about everybody was either Catholic or Jewish, and white. There was a Chinese family on our street - the Chans, who had five da ...more
Susan Eubank
Here are the questions we discussed at the Reading the Western Landscape Book Club at the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden.

• Why does the author juxtapose the almost non-personal tales of his life with the very detailed history of Lakewood and its land?
• What was your favorite Lakewood fact?
• Did this story resonant with any of your childhood memories?
• How did the format of the book affect your reading of it?
• What do the chapter numbers mean?
• How did his Catholicism and the
Eric Bjerke
Sep 30, 2012 Eric Bjerke rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, history
This is a cool little book. I like books that I can mow through quickly and finish in a night. Didn't quite finish this one, but it will take only 30 mins. to do so. I wish it had more pictures and that the pictures had captions. It is about my birthplace, Lakewood, CA. I didn't know that Lakewood was the second oldest planned suburban area in history. We have all heard of Levittown on Long Island, well, Lakewood came a few years later, was bigger, and had the first shopping mall. Lakewood Mall ...more
Apr 09, 2008 Shannon rated it it was ok
This is the story of how Lakewood, CA (the city directly across the street from my house) was developed just after WWII. The writing was all over the place - part history lesson, part personal memoir. I would have enjoyed it more had it focused less on the soil composition part and more on the personal stories of the first people to live in one of the first mass planned communities in the United States.
Dustin Hanvey
Aug 24, 2011 Dustin Hanvey rated it really liked it
Excellent poetic-novel mix that provides a biography/ history of Lakewood, CA, one of the first modern style suburbs in America. In the process, Waldie exposes the ways in which most of us live today help create our ways of being, interacting, and connecting with people around us. He also incorporates the spiritual aspects of place and how they shaped him and his family. I learned a lot about Los Angeles history and how my own suburb has become a sort of "holy land" for my family.
Apr 09, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: re-reading
This is a book that has stayed with me through the years. I lost my copy along the way and recently purchased it again. I hope it's as good as I remember.

Waldie lays out the story like the suburban grid of his home town of Lakewood, California. The structure of the book adds to uniformity he grew up with. It's perfect for the ADD reader, like myself.
Oct 20, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
For a school issued novel, it had the storyline that most lacked to keep me interested. Would I have ever read this or enjoyed this outside of the school setting? Probably not. Seemed a little aimless at times, but I pushed through it.
May 30, 2015 Trent rated it liked it
Good. If you love Lakewood/Long Beach, it's a nostalgic read. I sat in Starbucks and knocked it out while listening to a Glen Miller spotify playlist... very nostalgic!
Aug 24, 2010 Louisa rated it liked it
Shelves: big-kid, nf, cheesy-memoir
I wanted more Lakewood stories & less angsty Catholic family shit. Basically, I want to talk about buildings all day long rather than feelings.
"Before they put a grid over it, and restrained the ground from indifference, any place was as good as any other" (Waldie, pg. #3).

"In the municipal code book in the city clerk's office are fifteen pages of ordinances about property maintenance, nuisance abatement, clearing sidewalks, and covering garbage cans. […] The city with its codes cannot make Mr. H a good citizen" (Waldie, pg. #20).

"The streets in my city are a fraction of a larger grid, anchored to one in Los Angeles. That grid was laid
Jun 10, 2007 Jerome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urbanpoetics
DJ Waldie's poetic take on the original American suburb - Lakewood, California - is beautiful and precise. He grew up there, later returning to live, raise a family, and eventually work for years on the city council as the town turned to what most 40 year old suburbs do. Spotted with photos of the modernist grid, and reflection on the ironies of efficiency and the human imagination, the book is a mediation on the forms of living possible within those infinitely replicable spaces.

The beauty of th
May 17, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
In "Holy Land," Lakewood, California, official D.J. Waldie melds his city's history with that of his own family -- the two at times being almost one in the same -- and a history of post-World War II Southern California as a whole. In fact, the name Lakewood itself is left out of the book's body, appearing only in its acknowledgments and photo credits. Waldie does this on purpose, usually referring to Lakewood simply as "my city." Lakewood could be any Los Angeles suburb or even, to a lesser exte ...more
Gena Gilliam
Jul 23, 2015 Gena Gilliam rated it liked it
Almost 40 years ago, I was born at Doctors' Hospital in Lakewood, CA. I discovered this little book on Amazon as a result of a requirement by a reading challenge to read a book about my hometown. While I grew up one suburb over in Downey, we visited Lakewood quite often for its large regional shopping mall (always covered in my memory, although it wasn't built that way) and parks. My mother spent most of her youth and young adult life in the Norwalk/ Lakewood/ Bellflower/ Downey area (her parent ...more
Jan 21, 2008 Jana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Living in L.A. for nearly a decade, my only relation to Lakewood was that it butted up against Artesia, noted for its fine North Indian cuisine. So we would on occasion venture out from our hipster bungalow in Silverlake and head that way for food (the only thing, other than teaching jobs and "nature," that motivated us to drive such distances), and we would happen across and sometimes through the surreal desolation that is suburbia on the edge of Orange County. And we would wonder to god how an ...more
Clever little book. Not sappy, not nostalgic. In a no-nonsense style, Waldie looks at the development of his suburb (the good, the bad, the hypocritical) in the late 40s-early 50s, as well as the developers themselves. He looks at how it is today--what has changed, what has not. Perhaps the accidental changes are the saddest and funniest (at the same time)--such as the Vietnam War Memorial.

I don't live in Lakewood. I live about 25 miles wnw. In a house built c1948, on a former bean field. The lo
Apr 08, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
I grew up in the suburbs southeast of Los Angeles, and I can't visit or drive through the suburbs without wondering how they got there, and what stories the old tract houses could tell us if they could. D.J. Waldie tells us the story of one of those communities and of his family, who became members of that community. The book has an unusual narrative form - almost streams of consciousness - and Waldie jumps quickly from discussions of geology, history, and the methods of suburban development to ...more
Jun 07, 2013 Liam rated it it was amazing
"Middle-class homes are the homes of people who would not live here." (1)

"Daily life here has an inertia that people believe in." (11)

"The grid the Spanish colonel [Felipe de Neve] carried to the nonexistent Los Angeles in 1781 originally came from a book in the Archive of the Indies in Seville. The book prescribed the exact orientation of the streets, the houses, and the public places for all the colonial settlements in the Spanish Americas. That grid came from God." (22)

"Every map is a fiction
Grace Krilanovich
Jun 09, 2008 Grace Krilanovich rated it really liked it
I figured as soon as I started reading this I would absorb it in one sitting. Well, almost (a weekend). What other adjectives can you contribute to the praise of DJ Waldie's artful meditation on the development of Lakewood, his city, that haven't already been chucked onto the heap? Holy Land is subtle, lyrical, multi-varied, personal, political and obsessive in it's preoccupation with measurements of all kinds. Every dimension of Lakewood -- descending from city to neighborhood, sub-tracts, hous ...more
Kelly Ferguson
Waldie describes his book as a memoir of place, but to me the 316 sections read more as an essay on the 1950s California suburb where he grew up. I've always been fascinated by concepts of house, home, and place. Holy Land examines how the decisions of investors and city planners reflect the American culture of the time, and how these people (white men) had such a role in determining the culture of the future. I loved his fascination with measurements, and how decisions over the length of a stre ...more
Glen Creason
Nov 17, 2010 Glen Creason rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and insightful on many levels. Probably the best book of its kind ever written. A history of a suburban town doesn't seem fascinating on the surface but Waldie takes the reader deep into his own suburban soul and juxtaposes the history of a unique settlement with the realization of the American dream in Southern California. It's brave in it self-examination and wonderfully researched.
Oct 10, 2013 Mia rated it it was amazing
This book is broken up into hundreds of little sections, like mini essays or prose poems, written in straightforward journalistic style but with poetic timing. They simultaneously tell the story of Waldie's parents, his family's life in the suburbs, and the intersecting histories of suburbia, Los Angeles, and the US. It's amazing what he's able to pull off here. Even the geological details are moving.
Dec 29, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing
An excellent and unique memoir. DJ Waldie grew up in Lakewood, an early post-WWII subdivision in California, and now lives in the home he grew up in. In hundreds of brief sections he explores the nature of the subdivision, its history, and the surrounding ecology. It is neither "sentimental" nor "contemptuous." Instead it moving and lovely. "The design of this suburb compelled a conviviality that people got used to and made into a substitute for choices, including not choosing at all."
Hank Stuever
Mar 17, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most thoughtful and personal books ever written about the making of (physically and emotionally) an American suburb, by someone who lived in it all his life. I first read it in 1997 and I still re-read it often, just to marvel at it. It somehow gets at the essence of family, community and faith, while remaining a very observant and even critical look at how we lived, and still live, in our own little world of suburbs, until we move on to better suburbs.
Sep 28, 2010 Jennie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennie by: Randy
Shelves: memoir, poetry
This book is one of those that is hard to define. Part poetry, part memoir, at times concise and lyrical, Waldie describes his hometown so well I can almost see it. One thing I wish the author or editor had done would have been to organize the sections/essays/poems in a chronological fashion - I kept looking back and checking names and details, getting the feeling I had read some of it before. But a wonderful story, recommended for anyone living in a suburb, especially a Californian one.
Kathleen Mickelson
Jun 07, 2013 Kathleen Mickelson rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Actually stalled out near the end of this one. Interesting structure to the book - extremely short choppy chapters, which makes reading it in bites easier. A lot of facts about the growth of Los Angeles suburban neighborhoods. Anyone who grew up in the 'burbs in the last half of the 20th century might find some truth here.
David Allen
An odd little book made up of 316 "essays," none over a page long, many only a paragraph or two, about Lakewood, the Levittown of California and an anonymous suburb to which few would have taken notice, and about his family history. Dignified and graceful, albeit slighter than expected for a book so celebrated.
Paul Muench
Jul 10, 2014 Paul Muench rated it it was amazing
Simple, haunting, unflinching look at one man's life in Lakewood, CA a suburb of Los Angeles. I came away from this book with a sense of the value in having simple yet affordable places for people to live and call their own. We get attached to places, no matter how banal. I could not put this book down and the style of this short book makes it easy to finish in a single sitting.
Jan 30, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Honestly, the format was a little too weird for my taste, but since I had to read it for school, I didn't find much interest in it. I get the underlying principles, but it just wasn't very exciting (it's not meant to be, so it makes sense that it wasn't). It was a good incite into the California of the 1950's.
  • Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies
  • Southern California: An Island on the Land
  • City of Quartz: Excavating the Future in Los Angeles
  • The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory (Haymarket)
  • Sidewalking: Coming to Terms with Los Angeles
  • William Mulholland and the Rise of Los Angeles
  • Material Dreams: Southern California Through the 1920s
  • The Object Parade: Essays
  • Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States
  • Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles
  • The Experience of Place: A New Way of Looking at and Dealing with our Radically Changing Cities and Countryside
  • Eternity Street: Violence and Justice in Frontier Los Angeles
  • The Color of War: How One Battle Broke Japan and Another Changed America
  • A History of Bombing
  • Great Streets
  • Dreamland: The Way Out of Juarez
  • Cold New World: Growing Up in Harder Country
  • The Option of Urbanism: Investing in a New American Dream

“You are mistaken if you consider this a criticism, either of my father or the houses.” 1 likes
“Where I live is one of the places where suburban stories were first mass-produced. They were stories then for displaced Okies and Arkies, Jews who knew the pain of exclusion, Catholics who thought they did, and anyone white with a steady job.” 0 likes