Start by marking “Dove” as Want to Read:
Dove

Dove

A reissue of the now classic adventure story of a boy's solo sailing voyage around the world. "A notable feat of stamina and adventure. . . . Wonderful entertainment."-- "Washington Post"
Published March 27th 1991 by Turtleback Books (first published June 1972)

Start your review of Dove
Suzanne
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, travel, sailing
I will date myself and say I had a huge crush on this guy as a young girl with a birthday subscription to National Geographic. (He contributed articles for years during his voyage) What adolescent (and I wasn't quite there) doesn't fantasize about quitting school and finding himself by sailing around the world? When my children grew to his age I thought his family must have been just crazy to let him go, especially in a small 24 foot boat.
This was my first introduction to sailing, celestial
Melinda
I got interested in this book because Zac Sunderland mentions it in his blog. See Zac's blog at http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/ind... . Zac is currently about 10 days from finishing a 13 month solo cruise around the world in a sail boat called "Intrepid", which will make him the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo! The story of Robin Lee Graham inspired him to think about doing the same thing himself.

More to come as I start the book.....

I have finished this book, and as of July
Lobeck
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the ocean, travelers
This is the true story of the author's solo sailing trip around the world. Robin Lee Graham, featured several times in National Geographic, set out to sail the world when he was 16 and finally returned home when he was 21. This book is his personal narrative of his travels - from being bored and lonely at sea to exploring gorgeous tropical islands to meeting his love Patty. It's a great book if you like to travel through literature.
Patricia  Ventola
I read it when I was a teen. I'd rather read it again, but at that time I felt like it was a fantastic book, a great and awesome history.
Shawn
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An amazing feat - sailing single-hand around the world - but this guy rubbed me all wrong. Most galling was a long passage where he rails against the destruction of the ocean environment by modern society and then tosses an empty Coke bottle over the side of the boat.
Steve Bennett
Oct 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: High School English Teacher
Of the many bad books I was forced to read during high school, this was the worst. Absolutely hated it.
Brent
boy drops out of school. boy buys boat. boy sails around the world. for a long time. why wasn't I this boy?

Rose
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First half was boring but the second half saved it.
Michael Petrie
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the tender age of 16, Robin Lee Graham set out on a 33,000 mile, five year circumnavigation as the youngest solo sailor in the smallest boat: a 24 foot sloop named Dove. His voyage was famously covered by National Geographic Magazine, spawned two best selling books – Dove and Home Is The Sailor – as well as a children’s book, The Boy Who Sailed Around The World Alone, and a 1974 major Hollywood movie, The Dove, which won a Golden Globe Award. The story is more than one of adventure, it is ...more
Kevin Deaton
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: desert-island, travel
One of my favorite books. An example of what you can do with your life once you stop all that God Damn THINKING and believe in yourself. It proves your dreams are only limited by your will.
Lauran Lansdon
It's interesting reading this book as a teenage girl (when it was first published) and then again as a middle-aged woman. The romantic notion of sailing around the world alone, with only cats for company, stuck with me over the years. I often refer to this book even now. Even though I was not a boater, for many years after (that first read) I had a dream of sailing around the world.

I read the book this time as a wiser woman and a more discerning reader. what I saw was all the hard work that
Denzil Pugh
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Thoreau had lived during the 20th century, filled with materialism and media, I doubt he would have lived near Walden for any appreciable amount of time before going crazy, or having some developer come and tear down all the trees. In these days, he would have had to migrate north to Canada, or become next door neighbors with the militia groups in Montana.

Robin Lee Graham, in 1965, decided to sail around the world, in a sailboat, with little money, and with the rebellious attitude that
Emily
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ** rating does not mean that I think this book was terrible. It simply means that this was not my cup of tea (to quote the book). I would not have chosen this novel on my own, so the reason for me reading it was because of one of many summer reading projects that have been gleefully assigned as mandatory torture material by my future LA teacher. Yippee.
Please, if stories about ships and sailing or autobiographies about a person taking a five year long solo boat trip to circumnavigate the
Lahni
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book did make me wish I knew how to sail a boat so I could sail to wonderful exotic islands. But that would require living much closer to an ocean. The book had a few problems. I don't speak "sailing" so it would have been helpful if there was a glossary of nautical/sailing terms. Also, there was very little mention of Robin's mother. She wasn't very supportive of the trip at first did she change her mind? The father flew out to posts to see him but not the mother. If I set my child off to ...more
KC
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sailing or world travel.
This was a real fun book and when reading it you seem to go on the adventure with him but at the same time conjure up your own dreams, hopes, desires too. I came upon it because my Dad had always talked about it and how it was a big inspiration for him as a youth. Robin Graham is very passionate, and it's really refreshing to go through great doubts, joys, and formative moments with him. He also has a way of putting feelings that are sometimes hard to describe into simple but powerful words. He ...more
Kami
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the school library after reading a much better book, Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan, which made me interested in sailing. I lost interest again after reading this book. To give it some credit, it was a pretty fascinating story. However, the kid was kind of annoying I thought. He also went all hippie and preachy at the end and that's where I was completely turned off.
Yak
May 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatest-hits
I read this when I was sailing with my family and not really enjoying it due to seasickness, but liking the mechanics of sailing and the idea of sailing to faraway places. "Dove" fits the bill, being a first-person account of a 16-year-old who sailed alone around the world. Plus it has that element of extreme personal challenge.
Suzy
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more than an adventure, it's a journey into independance and self discovery. I read this book on the average of every two years, especially when I need a pick me up from the everyday mundane. I highly recommend it for ages early teen to adult.
Mike
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One of the best personal adventure stories ever written. A more innocent world back then.
The Coconuts  Thompson González
THE book that planted the seed in my mind to one day live aboard a sailboat and travel around the world.
Betsey
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite I read every few years! great adventure, thoughts of being a teenager and ideas about growing up, with a love story mixed in. A must read!
Jo
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, biography, boats
This is a great example of a book I read as a teen that has stayed with me, and remained important.
Leslie Kitchin
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book approximately 45 years ago when I was around 12 or 13. It was a book I got from a Scholastic flyer. As an aside - it's amazing how long Scholastic has been around offering books to kids through those flyers. Anyway, I remember enjoying it, but probably not really understanding the scope of what sailing around the world was really like.

I thought about this book and Robin Lee Graham back in 2009 when Australian teenager Jessica Watson attempted a solo sail around the world.
Ashley
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it was entertaining to read. But the high rating is due also to the circumstances I got to read it in. At the time of reading this book, my grandparents were celebrating their 50th anniversary, and our extended family was graciously lent the lovely home of Robin and Patty Graham for a week to celebrate. I did not know the stories of the man and wife who lent us their home at the time, and after they visited my mother explained that Mr. Graham had sailed around the world at ...more
Maya
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dove, by Robin Lee Graham is a true story about the youngest boy to sail around the world alone in the 1960’s. This story shows the exciting adventures the narrator goes on as he is traveling the world. He discovers small tribes, animals that he has never seen before and of course, he falls in love. I really liked that the boy, Robin Lee Graham, wrote this story about himself. It gave more insight about him and his thoughts and emotions along his journey. Other than that, I felt like the way the ...more
Karim Hyatt
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call of the Sea

This book made me want to drop everything and go back to my Ala Bianca, currently moored in Gibraltar. Another few weeks and we’ll be sailing east towards Malta.

This book kept me sane. It reminded me of the things I did when I was 16/17, travelling, meeting people of different cultures and customs. It reminded me that although most of us get caught up in “doing the right thing” there are some who never give up and continue use to live the dream.

To say this is inspirational would
Joe Preiner
Jun 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped reading this book. I'm into sailing big time and this was recommended to me by pretty much everyone. The writing is awful and the main character - a real person - is just a giant turd of a human. In the first few chapters he gets annoyed when reporters ask him about BEING THE YOUNGEST PERSON TO SAIL AROUND THE WORLD. The nerve of those reporters! Wow! If you actually read the words written in the book, he makes every situation about himself and how great his is and how everyone loves ...more
Kathleen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of Robin Lee Graham's solo sail around the world, beginning when he was only 16 years old. Along the way, he survives storms, suffers through accidents and close calls, falls in love, gets married, and becomes a father.

One of the most interesting parts is the tape recordings that he made on the journey. They're really raw emotion of the moment.

The ending seems to lose intensity perhaps because it moves away from the sea and the voyage. After the long sail, the author
Paul Seeburger
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-sailing
I fully enjoyed this true around-the-world sailing adventure. The young man Robin Graham who told the story of his adventure clearly made good use of his tape-recorded journal and his written entries from his trip to create an amazing revelation of the development of his thoughts and perspective as he progressed around the world.

By the end of his trip, he saw the hand of God had been at work in his journey, and in his remarkable love story.

A wonderful view into the world of the 1960s.
Tami
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great telling of Robin's 5 year solo journey around the globe in his sailboat! It wasn't overloaded with a lot of technical sailing terms. I enjoyed reading about every adventure he told from his stops in ports along the way. This would make a great book club discussion if the club wanted to do a non-fiction book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Two Years Before the Mast: A Sailor's Life at Sea
  • Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing
  • The Voyage of the Cormorant
  • An Unlikely Voyage: 2000 miles alone in a small wooden boat
  • Seven at Sea: Why a New York City Family Cast Off Convention for a Life-Changing Year on a Sailboat
  • Across Islands and Oceans
“Life would be pretty monotonous if the sky was always blue.” 3 likes
“happiness has no frontiers, that it’s a state of mind and not a possession, not a set route through life, not a goal to be gained but something that steals in gently like an evening mist or the morning sunlight—something beyond our control.” 1 likes