Start by marking “MacBest” as Want to Read:
MacBest

MacBest (Discworld #6)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  75,718 Ratings  ·  2,330 Reviews
Etwas ist faul im Königreich Lancre: Monarch Verence stirbt unter mysteriösen Umständen durch den Stich eines Dolchs. Daß dieser Dolch zufällig Herzog Felmet gehört, interessiert zunächst niemanden. Felmet besteigt den Thron, und mit ihm seine unausstehliche Herzogin. Nur Oma Wetterwachs und ihre hexenden Freundinnen Magrat Knoblauch und Nanny Ogg kennen Shakespeares Macbe ...more
Published 2004 by München Zürich Piper (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about MacBest, please sign up.
Anne Beardsley I always recommend Going Postal first. It's a wonderful intro to the world, and a wonderful stand-alone.

But like they say, you can probably read most…more

But like they say, you can probably read most Pratchett books in any order.(less)

Leslie
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How have I never read Terry Pratchett before? He's like ... Shakespeare and Wodehouse and Monty Python all wrapped into one!

A student gave me this book while we were studying Macbeth in class. Wyrd Sisters is a sort of parallel story, which manages to poke fun at the play, revere the play, make inside jokes about the play, and ... well, generally turn the play on its head. All the while, you, the reader, get to feel very smart and superior for getting all the jokes and allusions.

And yet it manag
Lyn
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shakespeare on the Discworld.

Truth be told, and all due respect to Rincewind, but I am partial to Sir Terry’s Discworld Witches. Granny Weatherwax returns from Equal Rites to star in another novel, this time in Pratchett’s 1988 entry into the Discworld universe, Wyrd Sisters, his sixth Discworld novel and the second to feature Weatherwax and her sister witches.

Nanny Ogg gives her a run for her money though.

Pratchett provides Granny Weatherwax with a return visit and introduces two of her sisters
Melki
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know the wizards have their fans, but for my money, NOBODY beats the Discworld witches.

Granny Weatherwax and her "cronies" try to dethrone an undesirable king in this adventure. To do it they'll need to mess around with time and even consort with...actors - gasp!

Here the gals summon a demon, with predictably Pratchett-like results:

The waters seethed a little, became very still and then, with a sudden movement and a little popping noise, mounded up into a head.
"Well?" it said.
"Who're you?" said
Trish
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a funny coincidence that my group started the Discworld buddy-read at a time that meant this 6th installment would be read in October of all months. How utterly appropriate.

And I have a confession to make: I think I have a new favourite. O.O
So far, my absolute favourite was Mort and it still is fantastic, but this book is at least equally great. There might not be deep messages about mortality, but the plot in Wyrd Sisters has a lot of other important topics to offer.

The story is that of ho
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There have been many great reviews on this old favorite of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld, and I won't wax eloquent, (or otherwise), save to mention that it's full of Headology and Shakespeare references, between murdered kings and lost heirs and crowns and a mummer's farce and a showdown between Witches and the King, but even so, it's all fun as hell.

I think this is the first novel of the Discworld series that truly comes into its own... or the first one that Pratchett uses as the template for
Charlotte May
"When you break rules, break 'em good and hard."

Hm. I must admit I wasn't as taken with this one as I was with Mort.
Terry Pratchett's insatiable wit was still there, but I just wasn't as invested in this story.
Three witches - Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and young Magrat keep to their own little coven and rarely meddle in other affairs.
But when three knights appear carrying a baby off into the woods they become suspicious, and decide to get involved.

"I reckon responsible behaviour is somethi
Joaquin Garza
Hay autores que uno termina no sólo respetando, sino admirando al reconocer que además de sus talentos narrativos se trata de personas poseedoras de una cultura impresionante. Personas que seguro tenían bibliotecas monstruosas donde uno podía perderse, y personas con las cuales una tarde de café se convertiría en una experiencia para atesorar. Personas cuya cultura permea por todos lados en sus obras y donde uno termina de leer los libros y dice: 'de veras éste está cañón'.

Los Alberto Manguel, l
BrokenTune
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: ‘When shall we three meet again?’ There was a pause. Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: ‘Well, I can do next Tuesday.’

I just realised that I never finished writing a review for this one even though I absolutely loved it. Wyrd Sisters is the second installment of the Witches sub-series, and is Pratchett's version of what would happen if Hamlet and Macbeth had been set in the Discworld universe - which may just give you an id
Luffy
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The late Terry Pratchett was a hell of a writer. I thought one of my other favorite Fantasy authors, Brandon Sanderson, was barking up the wrong tree when he lauded Pratchett as a genius.

But, I realize now better not to distrust those in the know. It is clear to me that the author of Wyrd Sisters is a master of literature, with this book to prove it. A very great first half leading to a less than perfect second half makes me look forward to the Discworld books. It's queer how the first half em
somuchreading
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κάθε μήνα [περίπου] γράφω στο PopCode για ένα από τα 41 βιβλία του Discworld. Ορίστε τι έγραψα για αυτό, ένα βιβλίο στο οποίο συναντάμε για πρώτη φορά και τις υπόλοιπες μάγισσες πέρα από τη Granny Weatherwax, ένα ξεκαρδιστικό μυθιστόρημα όπως αυτά που ξέρει καλά να γράφει ο Terry Pratchett, μια ωδή στο θέατρο και στον Σαίξπηρ που αξίζει να αναζητήσετε.

Wyrd Sisters: ★★★★
Veronique
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
“It is true that words have power, and one of the things they are able to do is get out of someone’s mouth before the speaker has the chance to stop them.”

Granny Weatherwax is back! Our favourite witch is brought to the scene when a baby is dropped at her feet leading her and her covent sisters, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, to deal with the death of a monarch and his rightful succession. All this of course involves a lot more than was first thought, with the kingdom in disarray due to the ‘usu
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
After reading three rather lackluster books in a row I was feeling rather down about the world of reading. Then I read the first sentence of Wyrd Sisters. I entered the world of witches, Shakespearean plots and a novel full of Terry Pratchett's wonderful, quirky sense of humour.
As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: 'When shall we three meet again?'
There was a pause.
Finally another voice said, in a far more ordinary tones: 'Well, I can do next Tuesday.'
pg 1.

I think my favourit
Vicky N.
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Rating: 4.5 stars

Wyrd Sisters is the sixth book in the Discworld series, a series known for it's many books and trickiness into deciding its reading order.

I found Wyrd Sisters a perfectly good introduction into the world. It is a fun and light hearted book involving witches, kings and magic.

It is a parody of the genre and it is gloriously entertaining and such a soothing change of pace from your typical fantasy novel.

Nobody takes themselves seriously in this book. The witches know what you exp
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Hamlet and MacBeth had a baby, and it was a comedy.

3.5 stars.
Ivan
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am warming up to Witches but so far City Watch is still my favorite Discworld series.
Rob
Executive Summary: Started slow, but the second half kind of made up for the first half. And very quotable as always. 3.5 Stars.

Full Review
Well I made it! I did 5 Discworld books in the last few months. I was able to read this book in April for Sword and Laser without having to skip any books.

It's not my favorite of the bunch, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did Sourcery. I think I might have enjoyed Equal Rites more though. I was warned that Granny Weatherwax was a bit different in th
Linda
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This might be my favorite Discworld so far!
Leah
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comic
If the idiots of the world aren't careful, they'll find themselves being educated without knowing it. Reading Pratchett is like reading something written by someone who finds pretty much everything interesting, and wants to share it with you without condescending or being preachy. Oh, wait...

Here he tackles Macbeth in particular, and the power of the written and spoken word in general. How he manages to take something as epic and classic as Macbeth and simultaneously mock it and pay homage to it
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure entertainment from start to finish. Nanny Ogg is so similar to my own grandmother that I am drawn to her character first before the more famous Granny Wetherwax despite this being the grand dame of headology's first appearance as we would come to know her after the character exploration of Equal Rites. Taking two months away from reading and reviewing has really taken its toll, I can barely think of a thing to say. It doesn't matter though, this one has stood the test of time and in posteri ...more
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I love this trio of witches.

Terry Pratchett has done it again - another fantastic tale of the Discworld.

The plot is hilarious and the characters even more so. But still there's a thread of romance, a sweet little side story.

This story has heart.
Gandolf
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasía, favorites, 2017
Libr GENIAL escrito por un genio! Leídos 6 de Mundodisco y para mi éste es el mejor. Se lleva las 5 estrellas.
Siria
Wyrd Sisters was the very first Discworld novel that I ever read, back at the tender age of eight. A friend of mine got it as a present from her father. Like his previous gift of the collected novels of Jane Austen, this wasn't received with much enthusiasm. She tossed it over to me on one of our monthly 'let's raid one another's bookcases' events. I was intrigued by the slightly cartoony, slightly grotesque style of Josh Kirby's cover art, and took it away with me.

I read the whole thing in abou
Marina
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own
The second instalment of the the Witches series of Discworld is utterly hilarious, punny, and a giant nod to Shakespeare's Macbeth and other plays.

I really love all the characters, but of course the Witches are my favorite. I love how at first glance they appear to he caricatures of the witches that we usually see in literature, but at the same time they are so well defined that they are very much their own characters. They own it. Plus, throw in Pratchett's humor and you have a recipe for great
Dusty
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Monty Python meets Macbeth? Wyrd Sisters was my first foray into Pratchett's pulpy, popular Discword series, and, although I liked it ... I didn't quite love it. It was certainly a clever book -- I appreciated the offhand Shakespeare references -- but it felt rough around the edges to me, like Pratchett sent his manuscript off for publishing one draft too soon. It needs revising. Some paragraphs I reread several times, and not because they were challenging but because they barely made sense.

Any
Exoticbrett
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Terry Pratchett does Macbeth. This is my favourite Discworld book so far (I'm reading them in publishing order). The writing is brilliantly perfect and funny. The Fool is a great character, wrestling with the ill-fitting role he's been assigned in the Shakespearean-esque world he inhabits. The jokes all work, the story is clever, the bard references are inspired, and tipping it into another dimension of enjoyment is the always irreverent Granny Weatherwax. I loved it. I want more. Give me more n ...more
David Sarkies
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want a bit of a laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Pratchett takes a jab at Shakespeare's classics
31 October 2012

Well, here I am writing a commentary on Wyrd Sisters on Halloween. Okay, this book isn't about Halloween, but the three main characters are witches, and there are a lot of ghosts in this book as well, so it seems that it is quite ironic that I am writing about it now. Not that I particularly subscribe to Halloween though, since it is an American holiday, though that is a bit of a technicality since it is really only in America that i
Jan-Maat
I found this fun in parts but also slightly awkward, maybe the Shakespeare references got a bit too heavy handed for me?

It's great reading a few of these books and keeping track of Nanny Ogg's declining number of teeth, and on the whole I think the witches were the funniest part as they try to provide orientation to a new witch.

The ideas are good fun, like the leakage of Shakespeare from our universe in to unsuspecting discworld, or more precisely the theatrical dwarf suffering from the effect
Fantasy Literature
Wyrd Sisters is a fun, lively book. It’s definitely a bit on the light side compared to some of Pratchett’s later works – more parody and less satire, if you like – but there’s nothing wrong with a jocular, easy-going read. Indeed, while it perhaps lacks something of the punch one might find in Mort or Small Gods, this installment is probably one of the better entry points for DISCWORLD, readable and endearing.

This is of course especially true if you’re a Shakespeare fan, in which case Wyrd Sist
Eva Ceravieja
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He entrado en el Mundodisco con buen pie. Creo que voy a seguir con la saga de las brujas, y ya veré qué más tiene Pratchett más adelante.
Me declaro fan de póster de Yaya Ceravieja, ¡eso sí es una bruja! :D
PenPal Readers: Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett: 19th March 9 17 Mar 23, 2018 06:24AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Wyrd Sisters [February 2018] 16 23 Feb 21, 2018 02:52PM
Strong Female Rea...: Wyrd Sisters Fantasy Cast 6 6 Feb 20, 2018 02:05AM
All About Fantasy!: October - General Fantasy - Wyrd Sisters 11 11 Oct 21, 2017 08:12PM
  • Web Site Story
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)
  • Myth-Taken Identity (Myth Adventures, #15)
  • The Sword of Rhiannon
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“This book was written using 100% recycled words.” 817 likes