Start by marking “Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way” as Want to Read:
Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way

Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Pickup trucks and eagles, yellow school buses and painted horses, Mother Earth and Sister Meadowlark all join together to greet the dawn. They marvel at the colors and sounds, smells and memories that come with the opening of the day. Animals and humans alike turn their faces upwards and gaze as the sun makes its daily journey from horizon to horizon.

Dawn is a time to cele
Published June 2012 by South Dakota State Historical Society

To ask other readers questions about Greet the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greet the Dawn

Debbie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
My favorite page in S.D. Nelson's book is the one with kids running to get on the school bus. I grew up on a reservation and ran, carrying my clarinet, to catch the bus. And I rode horses, as the children are shown doing on the cover of the book.

The beauty in Nelson's book is that he puts our existence in the present day, but through his art, he conveys the fact that in our communities, we are in touch with our identity as Native people whose spiritualities--across our many nations--are unique,
Deanna Ritchie
The illustrations in this book are amazing! This story is about the American Indians and their culture. The author described many traditions throughout the book. I thought it was a great representation of the culture that children would also love.
Courtney
2012.Concept 7. Great read aloud, or during a Native American Month. Has some Lakota songs/words in it. About being grateful for the world around us.
Jessica Serrano
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way is a great children's book to introduce us to the Lakota culture. The illustrations give a glimpse into the diversity of the generations and the importance of keeping culture alive. From greeting the sun and moon, to respecting the animals to traditional drumming circles, we are given a taste of the Lakota way.

Sara
Apr 15, 2015 added it
Shelves: multicultural
1. Text to Text Connection: In college I read Elsie’s Business by Frances Washburn. It chronicles the story of a Sioux woman who is brutally assaulted and left for dead. She then journeys through her memories of her difficult upbringing. These memories intersect with traditional Sioux stories. For me, Elsie’s Business was one of the books that just stuck. I reference it all the time. It helped show me how hard it is for many Native American families to reconcile their beliefs and culture with th ...more
Crystal
Greet the Dawn - The Lakota Way is a beautiful book that shares the Lakota Way. According to the author, this way "offers a means of living in balance." S.D. Nelson provides an introduction explaining this way of life that is lived in a circle with humility and balance. I appreciated the mix of tradition and modernity in the book within the text and illustrations. He honors traditional patterns and imagery, but is also bringing a new vision to the work including playfulness with colors and even ...more
Kristen
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
1. Text to Text: The Lakota Way explains how Lakotas view each new dawn, greeting “Mother Earth,” “Father Sun,” and “brother eagle” with “a smiling heart.” Obviously, Pocahontas wasn’t Lakota, but still she had an appreciation for nature around her and also referred to parts of nature as her friends and family. In “The Colors of the Wind” she says, “the rainstorm and the river are [her] brothers, the heron and the otter are [her] friends.”

2. The Lakota Way “offers a means of living in balance.”
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Hardcover with matching dust jacket, this gorgeous book is wider than it is high. Every page, and I mean EVERY page, is completely illustrated. And oh my! The full-colour illustrations are astounding – bright, beautiful depictions filled with meaning and expression of the spiritual experience of living a balanced life the Lakota way.

S. D. Nelson begins with an introduction that prepares the reader for the wonder about to be discovered on the following pages. Each page is part of the story in mot
Rachel
Before reading the book, there is provided an introduction about the Lakota tradition of the circle of life. It's gives back ground knowledge for the reader in order for them to understand the books content.the text and story is full of imagery and personification as they provide in great detail the culture of the Lakota tribe. The illustrations are whimsical and detailed paralleling the text. At the end of hone story is a Note about the illustrations and the text . This is an important part of ...more
ReadingWench
The introductioon in GREET THE DAWN gives us a bit of history on the Lakota's way of living in balance.

This book is hidden in the picture book section. It is rare in the reasoning being traditional words and songs are used but also translated into english. This book would be great for you and your child to read about different cultures.

The illustrations are fantastic.

AR: unknown
Bettina
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated book that captures the opening and closing of a day - and the joy that surrounds the day - through pictures and text. Illustrations are inspired by Lokata pictograph images.
Rachel
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aoc, 2015
V. pretty
Sharon
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
*sigh* I really love "Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way".
Amy Lafleur