Start by marking “Foster Child: Intimate Biography of Jodie Foster” as Want to Read:
Foster Child: Intimate Biography of Jodie Foster

Foster Child: Intimate Biography of Jodie Foster

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
One of four children raised by a controlling, ambitious mother, Jodie Foster achieved early fame and went on to stardom with roles in "Taxi Driver, The Silence of the Lambs" and "Contact". Now, her brother Buddy reveals the true insider's account--from the John Hinckley stalking to the men and woman in her love life to the incredible talent that earned her two Academy Awar ...more
304 pages
Published May 26th 1997 by William Heinemann Ltd (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Foster Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foster Child

Kellie
Autobiographies/Biographies of Hollywood celebrities, especially about those who were child stars when I was growing up, are my vices. I am not a TMZ, PEOPLE magazine enthusiast; however, I find reading about the lives of these actors very interesting. The Jodi Foster movie that is the most notable as far as I’m concerned is Little Man Tate. I loved this movie when I first saw it. And after reading this biography, I understand how powerful it was for Jodi. Foster is extremely intelligent to the ...more
Katie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I went in to this book sort of warily, because from the dust jacket it seemed like a trashy tell-all, and I've also heard that Jodie Foster herself doesn't approve of this book. But I was surprised to find that it was actually a very balanced sensitive story about Jodie Foster and about families in general.
Bobette Giorgi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tend to like bios written by family members. (I Slept with Joey Ramone is one of the best.) Buddy discusses the unstable childhood he and Jodie endured, as well as some of the dirt people want to know, such as the mother's lesbian relationship with "Aunt Jo." Buddy and Jodie definitely have different views on their upbringing; while Buddy tells the unpleasant truths about their mother (wasting their money on foolish, extravagant purchases, thereby making the family continually broke), Jodie al ...more
Lisa
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I expected this to be terrible. It wasn't. It was quite well-written and interesting. However, I think it might have been even more interesting if there had been more information about Buddy, who had a totally messed-up life for some time. It also should have ended about two thirds of the way through. While the first two thirds was about their family and life growing up together, the last third was just a lot of quotes from interviews of Jodie and summaries of her movies.

Reportedly, Jodie was ve
LeAnn L.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This 1997 bio is written by Jodie's brother Buddy. It definitely reveals what their life was like growing up in Hollywood by a domineering mother bent on her children's success...and reaping the benefits of their earnings. Still, Jodie was smart enough to overcome the dysfunction...and I hope the harrowing experience of John Hinckley.
Sally
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always harbored a weird fascination for Jodie Foster...remembering vividly when the madman Hinkley shot President Reagan and his aide Bradley in order to get her attention, etc. etc. Mainly I've wondered just what the truth is about her sexual orientation. This book, by her older brother, doesn't clarify that point...but it does describe their odd, dysfunctional childhood in interesting detail. Buddy tends to hold back though, as it's obvious he doesn't want to alienate any of the power pla ...more
Dark-Draco
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I have to say that this isn't the best biography I have ever read. Too often it went off into the Buddy Foster story rather than focusing on Jodie, but it was an interesting read. I never knew about her stalker or the problems she had early on in her life, so all of that was new. So all in all, entertaining, but not a book I would return to.
Leslie
Jul 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jodie Foster fans
Shelves: biosandmemoirs
Jodie Foster's brother wrote this book. He let it all hang out, dishing out all her secrets and outing her. If my brother wrote a tell-all about me, I would disown him in a flash. I have always thought Jodie was a fabulous actress and I am impressed that she speaks perfect French, something I can only aspire to.
Dee
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: none
I quit reading this book about 2/3 through. It was interesting in places, but then bogged down in repetitive observations. I really felt this book was much more about her brother (the author) than about Jodi Foster. I sort of felt somewhat sorry for him, and the way he described being on the sidelines of her life. I hope he feels better by the end, but not enough to finish it to find out.
Othón León
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I always liked Jodie, maybe because "we grew up together"... Well, I mean, same age, same planet... AND because she always was so beautiful... Not an excellent book though, but good enough to give it a try and learn about her life.
Shawnee
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was so much more than an inspiration for me while I was about 15 years old. The biography about her written by her brother includes besides childhoodmemories and other backgroundmaterial of Jodie a lot more about a girl finding her own voice in this world.
Apeksha
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
If you are already a Jodie Foster fan this book will make you a bigger fan!
Romany
Ryon Keith
Nov 21, 2015
Laura Ostermeyer
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating and insightful read.
Lucy
Jun 20, 2017
Julie
Aug 24, 2011
Dustymoth
rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2012