Start by marking “Peace, Baby!” as Want to Read:
Peace, Baby!

Peace, Baby!

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Acclaimed author Linda Ashman gives new meaning to a familiar idea in this tale about intense feelings, compassion, conflict, and resolution. Gentle, clever rhymes illustrate the unpredictable emotions of childhood and show readers a smart way to deal with these feelings. A frustrating day may feel overwhelming, but everyone wins with Peace, Baby!
Published April 23rd 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Peace, Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace, Baby!

Tasha
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So many children’s books about strong emotions come off as mini-lectures about proper behavior. This one has a stirring call for people to not react with violence or anger, but instead with peace and understanding while continuing to be understanding about those negative emotions that can overwhelm. The rhyme helps make the book fun and jaunty while offering the idea of just saying “Peace, Baby!” when you get upset. This is the most basic of conflict resolution, yet it is also the start of somet ...more
Julie
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-yoga
When you want to push and shout, hoot and holler, punch or pout, breathe in slowly. Let it out...Say: Peace, Baby!

Love it.
Marguarite Markley
A book about remaining calm in emotional situations rather than reacting with anger. It was an okay book, not great for a read aloud like most of Ashman's books. However, I liked it and I think it will make a great bedtime book because it is quiet and soothing.
Ellen
Definitely not the best book about feelings out there - I'd pass on sharing this with a caregiver or using it during storytime.
Diane
"You could fight, but why not share?"

All the different little problems that could lead to problems are met instead by "Peace, baby." A great read aloud for younger students.
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book that gives kids situations where it is easy to get angry and/or retaliate and encourages them to be kind and share.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mpl, picture-books
Say peace and spread peace.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Miss Sarah
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A toddler and up book about making the right choices and choosing peace over hitting and other options.
Kim
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Instead of getting mad, just breathe. Little corny but nice message.
Erin
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have normally picked this book up; it looks a little too hippy for my taste, something more designed for the moms who say things like "let's welcome that little boy to use the slide" instead of my more retro bellow of "son, it's HIS turn now!" However, Linda Ashman's book Rain! is one of my son's Top Ten books so I wanted to try more by the author.

This is a title designed to teach conflict management. Kids face various frustrating situations and instead of reacting by crying or pushin
Cindy Hudson
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Learning how to deal with conflict can be challenging for kids (and adults too sometimes!), as they learn how to navigate disputes with siblings and other children at school. A new picture book helps them look at situations that may arise in their daily lives and think about how they will respond.

Peace, Baby! is written by Linda Ashman and illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff, and it shows kids dealing with a variety of common events that may cause conflict. Here’s an example: “One big cookie. Tw
Barbara
This picture book contains great suggestions for how to deal with unpleasant situations or times when things don't go the way you might like. Using rhyming text to deliver her message designed to create a peaceful, kinder world, the author extolls readers to try a little kindness instead of violence. The pen and ink and Adobe Photoshop illustrations are filled with children learning to get along in the world. Although the intended audience is youngsters, all of us can learn something from this b ...more
Edie
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Through rhyming text (which scans really well) and children centered illustrations (the kids doing lots of typical kid things) an alternative to fighting back or getting mad is presented in a matter of fact way. This is not sugar coated or preachy but it is a feel good book. The situations are real, playground problems, an overactive sibling, sharing or keeping, and doing the "right thing" comes across in a natural way.
Lots to talk about here, but also lots to just enjoy, kids will get it with o
Alison
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, friends
This book is all about peace, baby! It goes through many different situations that can cause problems between children. Instead of giving young children a lecture that they will probably not understand, it tells them just to keep the peace. Problems will always occur but you don't have to retaliate.

My pre-school class loved this book. They especially enjoyed the repetitiveness of "Peace, Baby!" and they got to "read" along with the story. We had a discussion about the lesson of the book when it
Maddypictures
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Celebratory banners decorate the endpages. A diverse group of kids in a wide variety of situations each find something to fight about, but resolve things with the repeating phrase, "Peace, baby." A great conflict resolution book. Light but colorful digital illustrations retain the feel of pen and ink.
Elise
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, if you have ever had a child who has trouble sharing or playing nice with other children, this is a book to read. Read this book with my five year old, who is the youngest of three and talked about the character in the story and why she says Peace,Baby.I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This one is good for mindfulness in children. Instead of pushing/hitting/kicking/shouting, etc., kids are encouraged to just think/say "Peace, Baby!" Love that message. Might be a little too simple/easy (easier said than done obviously), but good sentiment. Definitely one I plan to share with my students.
Samantha
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: peace, picture-books
A variety of anger-inducing situations is presented along with the suggestion to avoid fighting by choosing peace,baby.

Realistic situations are included and the peaceful resolutions are shown in illustrations that were rendered using pen and ink and finished digitally. PreK-2.
Brittany
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free via the Goodreads First Reads program.

I adored this book! The sing-songy style of the entire book made it fun, while sending an important message to kids - try to get along.

I would definitely recommend it to any parent or teacher.
Pawsitive School  Counselor
This is only a 3 for grades 1 and lower. Older than that and I think it's too cheesy. It's a great book for younger students to explain proper self control and appropriate ways to vent their anger and frustrations. I would use this with a Kindergartner that is having trouble hitting, etc.
Mary
This is a great book about using peace to solve conflicts and problems, but it isn’t very fun to read. It would be good to teach a child about the goodness of working peacefully with others, but would not be good for a read aloud.
Leona
discusses various scenarios that lead to kids fighting and offers the option of just giving a hug and saying "peace." kinda simplistic and unrealistic but just to let kids know they can pause and think about their options is a beneficial.
Sue
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy story book to read to primary grades. Promotes working out conflicts and spreading the peaceful feelings. The illustrations by Joanne Lewis-Vriethoff are beautiful!
Jessica
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is definitely my saying.

I think if my library does family book bundles again, I would like to pair this book with Wonder by Palaccio and a few other "conflict/resolution books."
Kendra
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Some great strategies for managing anger and frustration in an easy to read, nicely illustrated format.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Powerful message told in a simple way that kids will understand. I can imagine reading this in a classroom and having kids say "Peace, baby" the rest of the year to diffuse tension.
Jodie
Advice on keeping the peace between friends and others. Easy read book that could be used in classrooms with younger students.
Sharice
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
such a cute book. great to teach kids manners and good behavior.
Stephanie
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book from a goodreads giveaway. My nephew loved the colorful illustrations and learning how to use his words instead of fighting when things don't go his way.
Jenni Heimach
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-jv
I would use in classroom for calming strategies to manage anger. Good social skills resource.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • No Two Alike
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • The Fly
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and
More about Linda Ashman