Start by marking “Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design” as Want to Read:

(For Mere Mortals #1)

The Barnes & Noble Review
Time was, all database design books were packed with mathematics and jargon. You d be up to your neck in normal forms before you even had a chance to wade. When Michael J. Hernandez needed a database design book to teach mere mortals like himself, there were none. So he began a personal quest to learn enough to write one. And he did.

Now in its Seco

Paperback, Second Edition, 611 pages
Published March 3rd 2003 by Addison Wesley (first published December 19th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Database Design for Mere Mortals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Database Design for Mere Mortals

Start your review of Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design
Libby
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech

Update (11/16/12): halfway through. author has spent a whole lot of time hand-holding through interview techniques, when I wanted to be hand-held through design principles. I'm also peeved that of all the fake characters I've read about, the only two females were (1) a nagging wife, and (2) an assistant named Kendra. None of the business owners, management team, database developers, etc. The upside is that it was written in 1997 and so contains some beautiful passages like:
p. 80 "He owns a compu
Gail
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to say, I'd have to think long and hard before I would embark on designing a database. It's so much easier to just work with what you have and hassle a DBA to fix it for you.

This book does give you a very clear, factual way to go about the process of designing a database.
Chris Navy
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for the tldr people:
Tables, tables, tables. Good table design makes for a good database!
Tommy Estlund
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in database design...read this book.

If you're not? Well, you're probably safe not reading it.
Joshua
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book has been with me for some time. I decided to recommit to reading through it. I am proud of such an accomplishment. What sparks joy for me is database design. I own it. Database design may be an odd pleasure for most. There is a beauty to order and the greatest insight information provides. For me. I have taken courses on database design. Watched videos. I find this book one of the most effective learning tools I have encountered thus far on Database Design.

I am fearlessly ready to appl
Sean Rich
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: software
Rather antiquated. Couldn’t bring myself to finish it so who knows it might’ve gotten better.
Mark
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Although this took me longer to get through than I anticipated (other things kept intervening), I'm glad I stuck with it. Although I've had a bit of formal training on databases in various classes and "webinars," most of my knowledge is from accumulated experience, and therefore not always terribly well-structured. 'Database Design for Mere Mortals' helped me restructure what I know and place it against a larger framework of design methodology. The writing is clear and concise, and well-provided ...more
Louis
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: computer
This was very good as a hands on book. I used it for teaching. Several of the students said they liked it because it was more hands on.

I felt that it was a bit light on the theory. But it probably gets paired very well with books that are deeper in the how and why because Hernandez does a good job of explaining concepts in english. Also, there were some sections (like diagramming) that I felt that Hernandez was much better then alternatives, because instead of using the full set of UML, he uses
أحمد حسان
كنت أود نسخة ورقية منه ستكون أسهل فى المتابعة
Lynn
Mar 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Students of IT/CS
This book is written well for a computer book. By this I mean you don't fall asleep reading it. It is very imformative in what infomration is necessary to extract from interviews to begin to build your and design your database well.
Jeff
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mike's a friend of mine who works at Microsoft.
Ruth
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, technical
Very useful book, good textbook for the course I was taking.
Zack
I didn't finish it, it's a little over my head, but maybe I'll try again in the future.
Kylie Sparks
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a non-techie and I managed to read and understand this entire book--I think that's quite a feat for a technical textbook.
John Moss
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: databases
Good basic database design book, but Database Normalization is not covered. Strange.
Brendan
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice primer written for the layman. Now if I could only put this material into practice!
Jane
Jan 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: gslis
Keeping this one, just in case, someday, I build or design a DB for real. For some reason.
Marcos Moret
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow
Andrew
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather lengthy, but a great process for developing a relational database and its documentation.
Daniel
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: databases, computers
Decent book for someone who doesn't want or have to live and breathe databases.
Kim
Jan 24, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Someone buy this for me!
Zaffino Valori

• It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
  • Django for APIs: Build web APIs with Python & Django
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Alpha Geek (Alpha Geek, #1)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • Metadata for Digital Collections: A How-To-Do-It Manual
  • Authentic Turkish Designs
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise and Other Bribes
  • Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine
  • React Quickly: Painless web apps with React, JSX, Redux, and GraphQL
  • The Bhagavad Gita

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »