Start by marking “The Amen Sisters: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Amen Sisters: A Novel

The Amen Sisters: A Novel (Genesis House #3)

The Amen Sisters, the third book in Angela Benson’s emotional and uplifting Genesis House series, offers a compassionate look at the lives that are forever changed when a pastor abuses his power with the women of his congregation. It is a story of love, faith and forgiveness that will stay with you long after you've turned the last page.

Francine Amen burned a lot of bridg
Published September 19th 2005 by Walk Worthy Press / Warner Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Amen Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amen Sisters

Barbara Young
Mar 15, 2014 Barbara Young rated it it was amazing
Good book, it lets you know what is going on in some of the churches behind close doors. Learn to read, study and meditate on the word of God so you will know what is being said is the "Word of God. "
Michelle
Sep 12, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it
About the Book:

After witnessing the suicide of a church sister, Minister Francine Amen is disgusted with herself for turning against the young woman and refusing to accept her claim of sexual abuse by their pastor. Now, after a short stay in a psychiatric hospital, Francine is trying to pull her life and her ministry back together. But first she must face all of the people she has hurt so deeply--including her younger sister, Dawn. But can Dawn trust her? Francine used to date Dawn's husband, Sl
Diana
Sep 30, 2011 Diana rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but there were some definite flaws that kept me from giving it a higher rating. Francine is too judgmental, and while I acknowledge that people call her out on it, it's not enough. She continues to do it the entire book and then gets praised for blessing people. How can someone be a blessing to you when they are being hypocritical and judgmental? I'm not so sure I bought into this notion. Also, Sylvester's character was a problem for me. How can he put his foot down about som ...more
Courtney Wilkerson
Nov 28, 2012 Courtney Wilkerson rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It gave good examples as to how easily judgement is passed and addressed the issues that come with facing things you find yourself ashamed of. In order to move on from a past that you're not so proud of, you must first release the shame and know that everything happens for a reason. There is a greater good.
Deejay
Jan 17, 2012 Deejay rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. It's a christian based book that reminds one of the many forms of sin..including self-righteousness and being judgmental. I don't want to be a spoiler. I could really go into detail. This book made me take a look at myself and to further understand how sinful I can be without even realizing it. Thanks Angela Benson!
Nicole
Jan 12, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Hi really enjoyed this book. It's really important to not only learn from your mistakes but to remember that you don't have to live in condemnation and shame because of it. This book really spoke to me.

It was very well written. I hadn't read any of Ms Benson's work in a whole but I will add her to my faves list. This is a very good book. I was drawn in from beginning to end
Mahoghani 23
Mar 10, 2015 Mahoghani 23 rated it liked it
These sisters and their community understands about the strength of God. They persevered, struggled, stood together and shared his works. This book was funny, an insight into people and their lives, regardless of their "church" status.....remember they're human first before any title.
Yvonne
Jan 24, 2010 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author. The topic of this book is more common then readers know. I've heard about this more times then I can remember. The ending was not what i expected but it was a really good read.
Angie Riddick
Sep 25, 2015 Angie Riddick rated it really liked it
took awhile to understand the story line. Once I was able to grasp the book it became interesting.
Donna Davis
May 07, 2013 Donna Davis rated it liked it
Not a bad read.
D. Eddington
Her writing is impeccable. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a great read
Barbara
Jan 07, 2008 Barbara rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-read
Just not my cup of tea. I tried it, but too much centered on those who are 'saved' and those who are not.
Pearl
Apr 30, 2013 Pearl rated it liked it
I enjoyed it.
Tonya Crittenden
Sep 12, 2013 Tonya Crittenden rated it it was amazing
This read was so life turning for me an my daughter, it was gripping down to earth, and thought provoking.
ian
Jul 02, 2013 ian rated it it was amazing
very good read it kept me focus
Clarenda
Sep 06, 2012 Clarenda rated it really liked it
very intersting with a surprising end...
Mercedes
Jan 12, 2012 Mercedes rated it really liked it
Great Christian chic lit. Angela Benson sure know how to get her message across with sounding preachy or self-righteous.
Pattie Outlaw
Nov 28, 2009 Pattie Outlaw rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: brenda anderson
Recommended to Pattie by: ewalton
interesting and compelling read.Reminds the reader of real life situations and what happens when trust is misplaced. Everyone has a purpose in life and people are placed in life for a reason.
Kim
Dec 07, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I liked this audiobook. It was a quick listen and my listening lesson was to not focus on the past to the extent of my future. To that, I say Amen!
Tanesha Scott
Tanesha Scott rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2011
Mary Snead
Mary Snead rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Elmira
Elmira rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Yvette R. Griffin
Yvette R. Griffin rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Shone
Shone rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2008
Sondra Lockett
Sondra Lockett rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
ConSonia
ConSonia rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Sue Bollinger
Sue Bollinger rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
A. Reyes
A. Reyes rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Practicing What You Preach (The Blessed Trinity Series, #4)
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • Divas of Damascus Road
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • Temptation
  • Forsaken (Forsaken, #1)
  • Sister Betty Says I Do
Though Angela Benson began writing fiction in Miss Milizo's fifth grade English class, her first book was not published until 1994, more than thirty years later! Since then, Angela has published twelve novels, two novellas, and a nonfiction writing book. Her books have appeared on national, regional and local bestseller lists, and she has won several writing awards, including Best Multicultural Ro ...more
More about Angela Benson...

Genesis House (3 books)
  • Awakening Mercy
  • Abiding Hope

“Everything had to be in order for you, everything had to make sense. I hope you've learned that some things don't make sense, no matter how hard you try to make sense of them.” 2 likes
“Shame is a hold that sin uses on you. As long as you're ashamed of the sin, it has a hold on you. When you can name it and walk away from it, you're walking in the power of God. That's what the Lord wants from His people. Sin and shame have no place in the life of a man or woman of God.” 1 likes