Start by marking “Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances” as Want to Read:
Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances

Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances

Richard Hackman, one of the world's leading experts on group and organizational behavior, argues that teams perform at their best when leaders create conditions that allow them to manage themselves effectively. Leading Teams is not about subscribing to a specific formula or leadership style, says Hackman. Rather, it is about applying a concise set of guiding principles to ...more
Published July 10th 2002 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Leading Teams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading Teams

Start your review of Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
Caroline
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Boring business book I had to read for a management class. Great class though.
Ricardo Cavalcanti
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting insights especially if you work putting teams together and creating the proper environment for them to strive. The author proposes an effective model based on research. He is always using real world examples from airline crews and orchestras. The examples are nice and made me think a bit on how to transport that reality to my own reality, which I liked.

Some downsides are the length of the chapters, and sometimes the examples are a bit too long.
Sicofonia
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leading Teams is simply a must read book for anyone in a leadership position.

It proposes a simple framework aiming at the conditions that are conducive towards high-performance. Namely compelling direction, structure and supportive context. But professor Hackman was no business consultant. He was not in the business of selling certificates, so he is quick to point that out that those conditions may be necessary, and certainly they are not sufficient. As there is a variety of reasons why work tea
yyyy
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a lot of resonates in the situation I was in. Let alone the researches behind the book, it states some facts about how team works or not works. How leaders role should be in building an effective team. My personal experience giving me the observation of how teams are not performing well. This book gives me the analysis to understand my situation. Recommend it if you have the situation want to solve in the team environment, if not, will be hard to see the values.
Carlos
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely must for anybody that are really concerned about teams. A lot of good insight, knowledge and approaches in creating the right conditions to get a real effective team.

Highlights: no guru stuff, information based on extensive research and explained in a no directive way.

My only complain is about that lack some resume or more structure in examples (now mixed in the theory), but is clearly due to that is an old book.
Ingerina Kostaman
Answers

This book was introduced to me when I was announcing to start self organising my own team, as expected it really adds more knowledge (hard skills) needed to achieve better and effective team work. Nice work.
Patrick Verheij
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Great model, great foundation. Alas, the book is a bit outdated and does not match the current TDS model completely. After reading this, catch up on most recent developments of the model at http://www.teamdiagnosticsurvey.com/ ...more
Kristin
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: smartypants
A work assignment. It was ok. I wouldn't say it was something I enjoyed, but it wasn't painful as compared to other assignments....
Peter P.
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Not groundbreaking or original, but sound counsel on the challenges of managing teams. Better and more diverse case-studies might have made for a more interesting read.
Brian Ridge
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
An excellent book on team building and leadership. Unlike a lot of books on the subject that are mostly just one author's opinion, Hackman's theory is very much grounded in research. Poor Hank!
Toni Tassani
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: safari
Based on research, the author explains his understanding of Leadership and Teams. The book was published in 2002 and there has been more research after that, but this book is still referred by many people studying group behaviour. Hackman suggestions can lead to increase the probability of good performances, there is no guarantee.
The 5 conditions for effectiveness described in the book are:
A real team, Compelling direction, Enabling structure, Supportive context and Expert coaching.
Worth reading
Deborah Vyskocil
Not recommending.
Subbu Ramanathan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The research findings are great. No questions there. But the book drags on longer than needed. It would have had a larger impact had it been more to the point.
Timothy Darling
Hackman is worth a re-read, and one of these days I will do it. This is one of those books that lays out a philosophy for team that is not, strictly speaking, backed with study. It is backed by Hackman's study, which looks to be impressively broad, but he does not state everything in terms of statistics and control variables. Instead, he talks about the practical, day-to-day workings of what to expect from teams and how to work at them. For example, he is the one person I've read who talks about ...more
Michelle
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this in tandem with "The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work" by Teresa Amabile and the two books are nicely complementary. Hackman addresses the exterior supports to encourage teams to be self-managing and productive; Amabile examines the "inner work life" and how progress at work leads to motivated and energized employees. Both books were good reads with plenty of practical bullet points to put directly into practice.
Flavius
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're a manager trying to build more effective teams, this book will provide a variety of options. It will make you ask yourself questions like:
- Is it clear who is inside the team and who is outside?
- Am I setting just the direction, or am I also controlling the means to achieve it?
- Does the team get feedback on their work?
- Is someone coaching the team?
Tilman Moser
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hackmann offers an excellent, research backed view on good team designs, the (supportive) context and how to coach those. The various models presented in this book are very useful and a must read for every coach on the team level.
Ravi
Sep 25, 2013 added it
Being a team lead comes with additional set of responsibilities. This is an excellent resource.
Christine
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this as a textbook for a business class. Pretty good stuff about types of teams, formation of teams, and dynamic.
Captain063
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend to know and understand the model itself. Project's teams will be in favor if their leader instill the values the model stated into their environment.
Suzanne Yoder
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive but certainly makes excellent points about team work and leadership
Olivia
Shelves: biz-books
Bob Sutton reccomends
Gerard Chiva
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fundamental book for leaders, managers, team coaches and agile coaches. Wisdom and experience fill its pages.
Johan
Apr 03, 2016
Timothy L. Beck
Jul 02, 2016

• Does It Matter?
  • Direct Path to the CFA Charter: Savvy, Proven Strategies for Passing Your Chartered Financial Analyst Exams
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Leading Teams: Expert Solutions to Everyday Challenges
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
  • The Attachment Effect: Exploring the Powerful Ways Our Earliest Bond Shapes Our Relationships and Lives
  • Friend & Foe: When to Cooperate, When to Compete, and How to Succeed at Both
  • Yesterday
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--and Lovers--and Keeping Them for Life
  • من أيام العمر الماضي
  • لأننا سعوديون
  • Guantánamo Diary: Restored Edition
  • لوّن حياتك
  • أخبار الاذكياء
  • L'art de la Simplicité: How to Live More with Less

News & Interviews

“Leadership involves moving a system from where it is now to some other, better place. It means that one often is at the margins of what people presently like and want, working close to the edge of what is acceptable rather than at the center of the collective consensus.” 1 likes
“It is entirely proper for senior leaders to say, in effect, “This is the mountain we will climb. Not that one, this one. Although many aspects of our collective endeavor are open for discussion, choice of mountain is not among them.” And those who lead teams within an organization have a responsibility that extends far beyond merely accepting the direction set by more senior organizational leaders.” 1 likes