Start by marking “The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)

The Vile Village

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  109,381 ratings  ·  2,566 reviews
Dear Reader,

You have undoubtedly picked up this book by mistake, so please put it down. Nobody in their right mind would read this particular book about the lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire on purpose, because each dismal moment of their stay in the village of V.F.D. has been faithfully and dreadfully recorded in these pages. I can think of no single reason why
Published April 24th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Vile Village, please sign up.
Annabelle The language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to…moreThe language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to understand, but there are several references and allegories that would probably fly over a young child's head, with pretty cutting social commentary. (less)
Cheryl You can get an ebook (digital) or check it out of your library if you wish.

·  109,381 ratings  ·  2,566 reviews

Mischenko
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
After finishing up The Ersatz Elevator, we couldn’t wait to start this installment with hopes that the Baudelaires would find a way to locate and save their friends the Quagmire triplets. The book begins with the Baudelaires once again in Mr. Poe’s incompetent hands as he attempts to find them a new and safe home. This time, he’s exhausted all options and finds it extremely difficult locating a place for them. The children are informed that they’ll be living at V.F.D, a.k.a. The Village of Fowl ...more
C.G. Drews
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2018
(Still working on my series reread as the Netflix S2 episodes come out!) I don't think this is my favourite book but it's also one I love the aesthetic of the most! If that counts as, um, a legitimate comment. (Shhh let me live.) But the Baudelaire's end up in jail (!) and there are crows everywhere (!!) and Hector's self-sustaining hot air balloon!! (Although I can't actually imagine never coming down? Because there's only so many times you can reread a book, c'mon Hector, don't you want new re ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I didn't like this one as much.

The kids are sent to a vile village to live. It was filled with weirdos and crows. And of course Count Olaf, I'm beginning to think he has a tracking device on them !

And the mystery of the Quagmire Triplets grows!
emma
I am legally obligated to begin every review of my reread of these books with the following sentiment: I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH.

It is a legal obligation of my own construction, because I do love these books and cherish them with everything I have in my cold dead heart, but also…

Also this wasn’t my FAVORITE of the series. Which really, if you think about it? A book in my favorite series that isn’t necessarily my favorite of the series - still pretty good. Not the end of the world or anything.

Ma
Mark Lawrence
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Drew
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_to_kids
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Vile Village (Unfortunate Events #7), Lemony Snicket
The Vile Village is the seventh novel in the children's book series A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (the pen name of American author Daniel Handler), which consists of 13 children's novels that follow the turbulent lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire after their parents' death. The children are placed in the custody of their distant cousin/uncle Count Olaf, who attempts to steal their inheritance. After the Baudela
Sara Kamjou
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, horror
بچهها به یه دهکده سپرده میشن و ماجراجوییها ادامه داره.
نیمه اول کتاب که معماییتر بود رو بیشتر دوست داشتم. انگار هر بار وقتی سر و کلهی اولاف پیدا میشه دست نویسنده تا حدی رو میشه!
----------
یادگاری از کتاب:
«توی بلاتکلیفی بودن» یعنی وضعیتی که همه چیز گیجکننده و خطرناک به نظر بیاید و آدم نداند باید چه کار کند؛ این یکی از ناخوشایندترین موقعیتهایی است که ممکن است کسی با آن روبهرو شود.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“There is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time.”

I don't really have a lot to say about this book. It was ok, there were some cute parts. I like that the book always has some spot-on satire about society and adults especially. This book did push the series along a bit but I'm getting tired of the formula with these books. Orphans go to terrible place, all the adults are horrible human beings, the orphan
Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to dive back into this series after taking a little break from it! This book is definitely one of the stranger ones in the series in my eyes. Something about a village adopting children and the crows mixed together was incredibly creepy! But that doesn't mean I enjoyed this book any less, in fact I think it made me enjoy it more. As the series goes on, the books really become more intricate and mature and I find that's particularly prominent in this one!
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was bizarre but another fun read! It genuinely had me anxious as times and worried for what was going to happen. I'm enjoying the way the plot is starting to somewhat (very slightly) deviate away from the original formula and new characters, mysteries and objectives are being added. I'm still not entirely sure where this series is heading (although I have my guesses) so I'm still very intrigued!
Swaye
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books
The most lackluster, nonsensical and frustrating of the series so far.

Regardless, I love the Baudelaires with all my heart and can't wait to devour the next book!

Carlos Peguer
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
El mejor hasta ahora sin duda ninguna. POR FIN le pasa a estos niños algo """bueno""".
Leore
2.5 stars. Not my favourite by far in the series.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
3.2/5

"For sapphires we are held in here.
Only you can end our fear."

This is definitely my least favorite out of the whole series so far.
It was just okay, nothing exciting happens in here.

I liked at the beginning the idea of the entire village that adopts the kids and all the absurd rules that were created for the habitants.
Then it became pretty boring to be honest. The most exciting part was definitely the "riddles" that were left for the children by their missing friends.
It was fun to build th
Emily
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great installment of this series. I did predict quite a bit, but that is to be expected of a middle grade book lol.

I don't have too much to say about these books after a certain point because my opinion on all of them is pretty universal: I love this series, and I need to read book 8 so I can finish season 2 of the Netflix show!

Here is my favorite quote from this book of the series:

"'Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very
Veronica
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I am actually enjoying reading this series. I think I liked the first 3 books best but this one was fine. I would love to read another type of book or series from this author sometime.
John Velo
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listenedto

Seventh book already and the plot of this one doesn't really differ much from its predecessors. And I'm getting a bit tired of it... And I am so frustrated about the adult's logic in this world! The same thing happens over and over, yet no one believes the Baudeliere children.

I feel like the readers haven't been given answers to the bigger mysteries of this series. Although, Lemony Snicket is slowly dropping hints and facts of a bigger overall series storyline here, sometimes, I still
Lauren
This series is starting to improve and I'm liking it even more despite the fact that it is so repeatative. I am now soooooo excited for the TV show coming out next month!!!!!
Anastasia ^^
Αυτά τα βιβλία με κάνουν τόσο εκνευρισμένη στο τέλος... (με την καλή έννοια). Λες "εε δεν γίνεται!", εε και τελικά γίνεται >.<
Casey
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting ending, very boring beginning.
Andrew Reed
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is probably my least favorite in the series so far. Nothing really happened. When stuff did happen, it was connected to a setting and characters that just don't work for this series. I'm sure the TV adaptation will be much better!
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Well, I'm more than halfway through now! And it's pretty crazy how little I actually know about the overarching mystery of the series.

I loved the absurdity of V.F.D., the Elders who wore crow hats, the thousands of pointless rules, burning people at the stake, the constant migration of the crows. Watch as mob mentality seizes the villagers and you find yourself reading bizarre chants like, (view spoiler) Grab your torches and pitchforks, folk
falling asleep reading
Poor Jacques. Poor Baudelaires. Poor Quagmires. It really is all downhill from this book on when it comes to the Baudelaire children’s miserable experiences, but uphill when it comes to storytelling.
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
no Mr. Poe to save (ruin) the day? That was a very nice twist. Enjoyed this one the most out of the seven I have read!
Asha
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
03/04/19 This one is probably my least favorite. It just doesn’t captivate me like the others.

***

01/31/17 Ughhhhhhhhh. And also, whyyyyyyyyyy?
Alaina
Uhh... interesting?

The Vile Village is the seventh installment of the A Series of Unfortunate Events series. It was a really one that kind of threw me for a loop. My freaking favorite character, Sunny, was definitely the reason why.

Okay so this village is, again, weird. The people and basically everything about it is weird. I pretty much blame this whole weird creepy village for the kids acting stranger than they usually are. For instance, Sunny was just ugh in it. I mean, she eventually came a
Leore
4 stars. RTC.
The Nooks of Books: The Vile Village 1 7 Jan 28, 2015 03:50AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • Lucinda's Secret
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Beyond the Deepwoods  (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #6)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The School Story
  • A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • Sophie's World (Sophie #1)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 58 likes
“For Beatrice-
When we were together I felt breathless.
Now you are.”