Start by marking “Rape: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Rape: A Love Story

Rape: A Love Story

Teena Maguire should not have tried to shortcut her way home that Fourth of July. Not after midnight, not through Rocky Point Park. Not the way she was dressed in a tank top, denim cutoffs, and high-heeled sandals. Not with her twelve-year-old daughter Bethie. Not with packs of local guys running loose on hormones, rage, and alcohol. A victim of gang rape, left for dead in ...more
Published December 21st 2004 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Rape, please sign up.
Kathleen I thought the love story referred to the fact that love -- between Dromoor and Teena, Dromoor and Bethie, Teena and Bethie, Bethie and the…moreI thought the love story referred to the fact that love -- between Dromoor and Teena, Dromoor and Bethie, Teena and Bethie, Bethie and the grandmother, or Teena and her mother -- could face down the hatred of the crime and its aftermath.(less)

Sumit Singla
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an ugly book, filled with nothing but filth and darkness. It takes your view of humanity, throws it to the ground and administers a few sound kicks to it, till it is bleeding and crying out.

Hate is a strong word, but I hated the story, the characters and practically the entire book. I hate the fact that I live in a world where this isn't fiction, but the true story of thousands of 'Teena's and 'Bethie's each day.

I hate the fact that people find it ok to label rape as 'unfortunate' or 'sa
Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: before2011
4 ‘I say CASTRATE the Rapists’ Stars

description

This is the story of a mother and daughter who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and encounter the wrong/most vile persons. The story of what that woman becomes after being Raped, people just talk about her or recall her of think of her about ‘after the incident’, the before no longer exists.

“Suspects,” they were called. As if they hadn’t done what they’d done to you and your mother but were only “suspected” of doing it!

What was most disturbing was
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's shocking and almost unforgiving that I have been on this earth for 30 years and have never read Joyce Carol Oates. Reading her entire cannon will soon become my latest addiction in 2009. So how do I review this novel? (note : I am writing this review after already having read 'Zombie' a few days ago). First of all, Joyce C Oates, where have you been all my life? And to my literary friends : Why did nobody tell me about the lyricism, harshness, brilliant POV changes, and upsetting yet beauti ...more
Tziggy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent story! Although set in the 1990s, some of the language used seemed to be of either a different era or different place. It was set in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, so I would not think of some of the terms used in today's America. That being said, I found it to be well written in a style I cannot quite recall ever reading.
It was a very quick read and I would definitely recommend.
Eliasdgian
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο τίτλος του πρωτοτύπου είναι ‘Rape: a love story’. Οι εκδόσεις Μεταίχμιο, στην κατά τα λοιπά καλαίσθητη έκδοσή τους, θεώρησαν σκόπιμο να συντμήσουν τον πλήρη τίτλο του βιβλίου και να κρατήσουν ό,τι τους ταίριαζε καλύτερα. ‘Ο βιασμός’, λοιπόν. Έτσι, σκέτο. Αυτά, όσον αφορά το περιτύλιγμα, πάμε και στο περιεχόμενο.

Σκληρό βιβλίο, διηγείται -χωρίς μελοδραματισμούς- την υπόθεση του ομαδικού βιασμού της Μαρτίν (Τίνα) Μαγκουάιρ στο λεμβοστάσιο ενός πάρκου στην πόλη Νιαγάρα Φολς, περασμένα μεσάνυχτα τ
cameron
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with JCO. She is a brilliant writer and I admire her. Sometimes I am blown away by the intensity and chilling insight of her books and sometimes I find them unnecessarily cruel, mean and overly dramatic.

Now, don't get me wrong, she can write in any genre with skill. It's amazing. As a matter of fact, in one short story collection she wrote a brilliant and complete short story in one page. She is an eccentric individual and her choices reflect that.

The title of th
Lidia
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo que me ha convencido:
- Joyce Carol Oates pone el foco en una realidad: en una violación múltiple se pondrá en cuestión a la víctima y se la minará en el juicio.
- La única justicia real no viene de los tribunales, sino de la ley del Talión.

Lo que no me ha convencido:
- Al ser corta, no profundiza en los personajes.
- Esa coletilla del título, en mi opinión, sobra. No se explica (es de un sensacionalismo barato)
- La edición necesita una revisión ortográfica...

¿La recomiendo? Sí, sin duda.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Ho letto diversi libri che hanno come tema centrale lo stupro, sia fisico che psicologico; non ricordo però di aver subito lo stesso impatto emotivo che ho avuto con la Oates. Il suo stile è inconfondibile: se avessi letto la storia senza conoscere l'autore, avrei scommesso su di lei..
E' una scrittura cattiva, cruda, tagliente che ti fa male come un pugno nello stomaco. E' una narrazione che ti fa dire grazie per tutte le sciocchezze che possiedi e per la fortuna di non vivere in uno dei suoi an
Amanda
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Am I allowed to say I love this while I honestly hate it?

I hate everything it shows. I hate more or less every single event in it. I hate how degenerated some characters become. I hate how much this book is needed.

I absolutely hate that this behavior is found in our reality.

Something else?

I love this book.

Most of all, I like the humanizing of the events. Oates pulls the story of a gang-rape and its aftermath off, however this is possible when this is such an unspeakable crime. For over a day I'
E
Oct 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Paloma
Había escuchado muchas recomendaciones de Oates, prolífica autora y considerada por muchos, como una de las mejores escritoras de lengua inglesa vivas. Confiesto que el argumento de "Rape: a love story" parece intimidante de entrada: la historia de la violación tumultuaria de una mujer frente a su hija adolescente y la búsqueda de justicia ante tal crimen.

De Oates, me impresiona su manera fluida y precisa de narrar los acontecimientos y que, en una sola frase, pueda resumir toda la angustia y l
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Joyce Carol Oates seems to channel all of the things I was ever scared of between the ages of 12-14, humanize them, and make them strangely pitiful and believable and still terrible. The fact that this book is set in a very nostalgic landscape for me makes this book all the more terrifying and poignant, even if it is a kind of mundane and melodramatic kind of terror.

I often feel that JCO writes for a very narrow and specific demographic that I'm part of, but don't know the perimeters of?

She ex
Aggeliki
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Από την πρώτη ως την τελευταία σελίδα του ξεχειλίζει από ωμή σκληρότητα. Αυτή που έτσι κι αλλιώς υπάρχει γύρω μας αλλά δεν την βλέπουμε ή εθελοτυφλούμε μπροστά της. Ο τρόμος κάθε γυναίκας υπάρχει εδώ. Σκοτεινός και κτηνώδης. Δοσμένος ξεκάθαρα με απλό, καθημερινό λόγο, χωρίς να κουκουλώνει τα γεγονότα ή να γίνεται μεμψίμοιρος από την άλλη. Όπως και η σαπίλα του συστήματος υπάρχει εδώ. Η δικαιοσύνη δεν είναι μόνο μια ηθική κατάσταση. Έχει ένταση, έχει γνήσιους ανθρώπινους χαρακτήρες που περνούν δι ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Η Joyce Carol Oates, είναι μία από τις πιο διακεκριμένες Αμερικανίδες συγγραφείς, έχοντας αποσπάσει πληθώρα βραβείων στην διάρκεια της συγγραφικής της καριέρας. Ένα από τα βιβλία της, είναι και "Ο Βιασμός", ο οποίος επανακυκλοφόρησε σε νέα, συλλεκτική, οικονομική έκδοση, από τις εκδόσεις Μεταίχμιο. Και πραγματικά, πρόκειται για ένα βιβλίο που ο καθένας από εμάς θα έπρεπε να διαβάσει και να το έχει στη βιβλιοθήκη του, για να του θυμίζει την ασχήμια του κόσμου μας, αλλά και την αθλιότητα ενός κοιν ...more
Tim Orfanos
H Όουτς γνωρίζει πολύ καλά πώς να ψυχογραφεί τους ήρωές της, χωρίς να υπερδραματοποιεί καταστάσεις και να δημιουγεί αμήχανη συγκίνηση. Η ηρωίδα απευθύνεται στον αναγνώστη σε α' πρόσωπο, δίνοντας αμεσότητα, και την αίσθηση ότι τα γεγονότα λαμβάνουν χώρα σε πρώτο χρόνο. Ένα μυθιστόρημα ξεχωριστό που συνδυάζει την αστυνομική πλοκή με το δικαστικό δράμα και την κοινωνική καταγγελία. Μόνο να μην είχε τόσο προβλέψιμο τέλος!

Υ.Γ.: Πιστεύω ότι λόγω του θέματός του, καλό είναι να διαβαστεί καί από γυναίκε
Rochelle
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
*TRIGGER WARNING*
I didnt expect to read this story. I had never heard of it or the author. I was having a long, sweaty day and popped into the library to kill some time before catching the bus home. In fact, I almost walked right past it. But a word jumped out at me from a black and white cover:rape. My feminist bells are ringing. Is that a cover of black and white hearts? Is that a story titled Rape:a love story? So it only takes me a second to double take and backtrack. I pick up this small bo
Arybo ✨
Questi sono i pensieri a metà lettura:

Una scrittura diretta, che non nasconde la meschinità e lo schifo che può fare il genere umano. Penso che la giustizia, in questo caso, non sia dalla parte dei deboli, delle vittime. Almeno da quello che ho letto. Mi fa rabbrividire il fatto che in tribunale gli avvocati si divertano a buttare “immondizia” su chi è la vittima, giochino, come se l’unico premio sia la scarcerazione dei colpevoli. Come se non si trattasse di lottare contro un evento abietto, lo
John
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Michele
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A chilling, haunting reminder of the evil that humans are capable of, the author describes the brutality of the rape and terror beyond what we are capable of imagining on our own. The second attack from the community slandering the victims is almost more disgusting, being from a small town full of small minds I could visualize it full-force. “She asked for it” I understand that no rape story has a “happy ending” but Joyce Carol Oates delivers us the best possible conclusion.

Earlier this year i r
Simona
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come si percepisce fin dal titolo, la vicenda raccontata dalla Oates è davvero terribile e atroce. Stupro è un romanzo breve, una storia raccontata come se fosse un articolo di giornale. Un fatto di cronaca in cui la scrittrice dà il meglio di sé. La precisione, lo stile è tagliente, preciso e come una vera e propria arma si scaglia contro la società.
Stupro è anche e soprattutto una denuncia sociale nei confronti di una società che accusa le vittime, elogia i colpevoli, va contro un sistema giu
Lara
"Kao trinaestogodišnjakinja baki nisi mnogo pričala o svome životu, majci još manje.
Stvari u školi, svega toga si ih poštedjela. Svoje brige da će mamu uhititi, optužiti je za nepoštivanje suda ako dođe do suđenja, a ona odbije svjedočiti.
Svoje brige da će mama umrijeti.
Svega toga si poštedjela odrasle u svojoj kući. Naučila si da ako se o nečemu ne razgovara, onda će svi, pa i tvoji najbliži, pretpostaviti da to uopće ne postoji."
Reddish
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Esta lectura me ha dejado con los pelos de punta. La he sentido tan real e injusta... Que una madre (no es spoiler, pasa en el primer capítulo) vaya de la mano de su hija de 12 años tan tranquila por la calle y de repente una banda de niñatos drogados la violen casi hasta la muerte... Lo peor es que en la vida real existen casos así, y la justícia es inexistente. Esta es una historia corta pero conmovedora, totalmente recomendada.

"Your eyes are open but blind."
Diana Solano
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mujeres, zurda
¡Qué novela más impresionante! En menos de 200 páginas (y muchas menos si se toma en cuenta la anchura del margen, el tamaño de la tipografía y las páginas blancas entre capítulos miniatura) la autora crea un universo con personajes bien definidos y un discurso sólido. No hay un elemento fuera de sitio. Oates presenta una situación brutal con una economía del lenguaje que impresiona y que logra denunciar —sin ambigüedad o tibieza— el fallido sistema judicial de Estados Unidos, la gula de los med ...more
Alex
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who are unclear on how bad rape is
Shelves: 2017
Joyce Carol Oates is not in the habit of pulling her punches. She might be the only writer in the history of the world both willing and able to name a book "Rape." She's a powerful author, and I'm a big fan.

This wasn't my favorite of her books. What's it all about? Fury, right? I mean, and rape. It's definitely about rape. Nothing else happens. It's short. The personalities and histories of the people in it are briefly sketched out. Mostly, there's a rape and then there's the aftermath of the ra
Vaso
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is a very hard topic that the writer is talking about in this book.
There are no hard scenes. It is the daughter's view that we read in this book
Agnieszka
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jak pewnie wielu innych czytelników sięgając po tę książkę spodziewałam się szybkiej lektury. Bo niby jak można na niecałych dwustu stronach zarysować historię, która wdziera się gdzieś w człowieka do środka i zostaje w nim na dłuższy czas?

Oates mnie zaskoczyła. Więcej - rozłożyła mnie na łopatki. Już pierwsze dwie strony są mocne. Bo scena gwałtu nie jest przedstawiona z perspektywy gwałconej, o nie. Przeżywamy ją w towarzystwie dwunastoletniej dziewczynki, która sama ledwo uchodzi przed zbrodn
Roberto
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nord-america

Violenza e giustizia

Un romanzo abbastanza breve, questo della Oates, che parla di una giovane e donna, seducente, sensuale e carina che viene orrendamente violentata da otto ragazzi, ubriachi e drogati. Chi assiste, terrorizzata ed impotente è la figlia di dodici anni, che stava tornando a casa con la madre e che riesce a salvarsi dallo stupro, ma non dal trauma che la accompagnerà poi per tutta la vita.

La scena dello stupro è proprio terribile. Dettagliata, vivida, spietata, senza senso, brutal
Lulu
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What first drew me to this book was of course, the title. And it wasn't until the end of the story that I realized what the 'love story' in the title was referring to. But the story was so completely harrowing right from the first sentence that I didn't really have time to wonder about the title while reading it. The novel is an all too real depiction of a brutal gang rape and its aftermath. Reading it was tough; Oates' sparse prose really wrenches your heart at times, making you cringe and cry ...more
Holly
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was difficult to rate.

First, I don't think the book ever justified its intentionally controversial title. Second, although parts felt very genuine and terribly realistic, other parts felt like trite stereotypes. Third, inevitably, a novella does not have the space to fully develop each character, but I was still disappointed by the surface treatment of the characters I really wanted to learn more about: the mother, daughter, and grandmother. Fourth, I was really disappointed in the choice
The artistry with which Oates made such a dismal topic so satisfying 2 6 Aug 22, 2015 05:59AM
  • Invisible Writer: A Biography of Joyce Carol Oates
  • Notice
  • Death Rites (Petra Delicado Mysteries, #1)
  • At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom: Stories
  • Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters
  • Salt Water
  • Lucinella
  • If You're Not Yet Like Me
  • A Million Little Lies
  • Try
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Jesus Saves
  • A Deal with a Stranger: A Romantic/Mystery Novel Set in Sardinia
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • Pelon maantiede
  • Flickan och skulden: En bok om samhällets syn på våldtäkt
  • Not Like You
  • Flickan under gatan (Grens & Sundkvist #4)
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more
“Taking the law into your own hands, fuck what's wrong with that?” 38 likes
“HUSBAND: Is something wrong?
BETHIE: Why--why do you ask?
HUSBAND: You looked so lonely, suddenly. As if you'd forgotten I'm here.”
3 likes