Start by marking “Women at War” as Want to Read:
Women at War

Women at War

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Hugo-winner Lois McMaster Bujold collaborates with Roland Green, author of the popular Starcruiser Shenandoah series, to present the first-ever original anthology of military SF by women, about women at war. Contributors include Elizabeth Moon, Jane Yoken, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, and others.
Published December 1995 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Women at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women at War

Lizzie
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of 17 st0ries by female authors with female leads published in 1995. Two of the authors, Scarborough and Moon, I have read before and their science fiction novels are on my bookshelves The other 15, if I have read anything by them over the years, the names did not stick with me. The introduction and editing were done jointly with Bujold having first billing, she being the reason I bought this anthology.

While the title is Women at War, it is not a collection of space battles
Dlora
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
You might like this book better than I did. I didn't like it basically because I really don't like short story anthologies. If I like a short story, I'm disappointed that it isn't a full book with more development. I was silly to get Women at War to read, even though I like science fiction and I liked the editor, Lois McMaster Bujold. I was a little disappointed that she didn't have a short story in the group of 17 stories. The only good thing I can say is that some of the short stories that I s ...more
Chris Cook
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
As I said when I added this book to my reading list, this was not the right book. It was the right title, wrong author(s). The one I read was a collection of histories about real women who have faced combat. As such, it was interesting to me as a woman who has been deployed to a combat zone. It was a downer with the ones who died or were wounded. But mostly, I read it as the history it is, in honor of Women's History Month, and in preparation for doing a radio show about women in combat as the g ...more
Rhiannon
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This collection is generally very good. The real stand out, though, is Judith Tarr's short story "Sitting Shiva", which is just stunning. You can read it at bookview cafe as well: here.
Donna
Mar 29, 2013 marked it as didnt-finish
I didn't have time to finish this one before the library wanted it back, but I don't really feel like I missed out. As with every anthology ever, I enjoyed some stories more than others, but the ones I got to skewed towards unmemorable and several skimped on the theme.
Zoe
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of short stories and this one was full of interesting, heroine filled utopias, dystopias and sci-fi.
Erik Graff
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminist lit fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
This is a better-than-average because more provocative than average collection of stories about women in the context of warfare.
Wealhtheow
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Each story is ostensibly about women and war, although severl forget to include women. Not a great story in the bunch, and several truly terrible ones.
Julia
Bitbyte
May 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • The Ages of Chaos (Darkover Omnibus, #2)
  • Federations
  • The New Women of Wonder
  • Women of War
  • Moonscatter (Duel of Sorcery, #2)
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Science Fiction
  • Sunfall
  • Irresistible Forces
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • A Change of Season (Seasons of Pleasure, #5)
  • Merrick's Destiny (Bloodhounds, #1.5)
  • Misspelled
  • A Matter of Oaths
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...