Start by marking “Nobody's Boy” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Boy

Nobody's Boy

A compelling story in which orphaned Remi gets hired out to a traveling street entertainer when his foster parents fall on hard times. Going from village to village with its act, ‘nobody’s boy’ has numerous adventures until his boss also falls on hard times and perishes, homeless and destitute. Remi’s life includes a number of surprising twists and turns, leading to a ...more
Kindle Edition, Annotated Edition, 255 pages
Published September 24th 2016 by Feedbooks (first published 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Boy, please sign up.
Ajith Peter Wonderful books and wonderful narration..never boring..what touches most is the innocence and narration ..surely makes one nostalgic and imaginative.
Cristina
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Nobody's Boy
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sans Famille, Hector Malot
Sans Famille (Translation: Without Family English title: Nobody's Boy) is an 1878 French novel by Hector Malot. The most recent English translation is Alone in the World by Adrian de Bruyn, 2007. The novel was reportedly inspired by the Italian street musicians of the 19th century, in particular the harpists from Viggiano, Basilicata.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و پنجم ماه دسامبر سال 2004 میلادی
عنوان: بی خانمان؛ نویسنده: هکتور هانری مالو؛ مترجم: روحی ارباب؛ تهران، گلشائی،
Theo
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I read this when I was about 9. It was my very first novel. I remember telling my mum I was sick so I could stay home from school and finish it.
Because it's the novel that made me fall in love with reading, it gets 5 stars from me :)
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (Children)
Shelves: childrens, 501
This is a coming of age story of Remi Barbarin a 6-y/o Italian boy who is adopted by a poor couple when they find him abandoned in front of government building where Mr. Barbarin works. However, Mr. Barbarin's motive of adopting him is with the hope that someday the infant baby in silk clothes (hint that the baby's parents are rich), will be asked back by his parents in exchange of a huge money. Years passed and when Mr. Barbarin feels that it will no longer happen, he sells the boy to a ...more
Gina
My mother read this series to us when we were very young. We didn't have a television so our nightly reading sessions were like the best possible TV series. I remember begging and crying for her not to stop! She developed character voices and accents. It was as real as anything.
I think little Remi, orphaned to the circus with his monkey friend really influenced my gypsy lifestyle when I grew older. Reading out loud, try it sometime. It's a very different experience.
These books were antiques when
Christopher Bunn
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hector Malot wrote Nobody's Boy back in the 1870s. It's a very slow, dreamy story, completely lacking in the speed and cliff-hanging and spectacle that define modern writing. I suppose a lot of readers would find his story boring or somewhat maudlin, but I found myself entranced by the combination of word precision and a sensation of something akin to gliding slowly down a river. A river in the French countryside, of course, apropos to the story, gleaming with lazy summer sunlight.

Malot's use of
Ana
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Before the age of 10, this was my favorite book of all times. I read it about twenty times between the ages of 9 and 12, or something like that, and I cried every single damned time at it. It's impossible how much feeling I got from that book!

Remi was and I think he still is the perfect child character in a book! And Vitalis was such a good man.. (view spoiler) I wanted to go around the world and have three dogs and a
Emilia
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the wonderfully moving story of an orphan who hopes to one day find his true family. There are many interesting subplots as well about the general condition of orphan children throughout 19th France, very much like Dickens revealed similar mistreatment of youth through his highly critical and scrutinizing enlightenment.
This story is bound to have you shed a few tears. If you ever the opportunity, watch the tv mini-series of the same title.
If a great tale for children, it remains an
Anh
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, classic, fiction
Touchy feely. I read it as a kid and loved it. I would have rated it 5 stars if I'd been here on GRs at that time.

I'd say this book is perfect for children, until they grow up and realize there's something wrong with the ending. Malot made a point in Remi's sudden wealth at the end, after all the struggles and tears. The way Remi uses his unexpected, ladylike, generous mother's money to fix things made me feel as if he cannot bring happiness to others if he's not rich.
Rachel
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book in all the world. In fourth grade my teacher read this aloud to the class every day after lunch, and it opened my eyes to a whole new type of literature. I have read it to my children, and it is one of their favorites as well.
Maria
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is actually my favorite book. I read it for the first time years ago when I was in elementary school(I’m now 22) and ever since I've re-read it quite a few times… I totally recommend it to EVERYONE, not because it’s MY fav book, but because the story is wonderful, it never stops being up to date and it ALWAYS manages to make you feel the same things… I can go read it right now, and I will STILL experience the same sadness, happiness, anger, surprise, hearbreak… I will STILL burst into tears ...more
WhatIReallyRead
If you're looking for something to read in French to improve your language skills, I recommend this book.

Improving my French was exactly the reason why I picked Sans Famille up. It's a children's book, XIX century classic. Pretty easy to read.

At the center of the plot is an orphaned young boy. I was a little creeped out at first because the book kicked off with Rémi being BOUGHT and taken away from his foster parents by a strange old man. Gosh, this probably looked different to a XIX century
Anne
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book countless times when I was younger, and little Remi went straight to my heart. You really feel for him and want him to be happy. It's still a book I pick up every now and then, and one of those stories I will never forget.
Kat
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I was about ten years old when I read this book. Still remember a lot though.
Rika - (The Unpretentious Reader)
I first saw this as a cartoon when I was 8 years old.. it broke my heart.

I read it 15 years later.. It broke it all over again.
I had to stop at several points to take a breather and dry my eyes.
Even as I write this review I find it difficult to keep my tears at pay.

Remi is a sweet little child who'll capture your heart from his very first moment.. From the very first line I was hooked *I knew I would be since I dearly loved the cartoon, but to read is it, it's a whole another experience*..
I was
Richard
This book, though not originally written as a children's classic, has been considered one. This is only one of the traits it shares with Dickens' Oliver Twist. Both novels chronicle the tragic wanderings of foundlings whose only desire is to belong somewhere. In both cases, the boys are pursued by those who wish them ill and in both cases, they are nearly sucked into a life of crime. Remi, though as unlucky as Oliver, receives more kindness and assistance, generally speaking, than his English ...more
David
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gift, this one from my sister, which I enjoyed very much (still only gets 3 stars for being heavy-handed). It's a reprint of a classic 19th-century French novel (in English translation; the original title is "Sans Famille"), about the adventures of a boy separated from his family.
According to Project Gutenberg, it is "justly famous as one of the supreme juvenile stories of the world." Apparently it has been translated into about a bazillion languages and made into films in a number of
Thura
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My father read this to me when I was only three years old. My mother told him I was too young to understand but he disagreed. Now it's his favourite anecdote to tell about little me, how I was so intrigued by the story and how I asked him halfway through: daddy, I don't know why, but I can't stop crying?
This story was one of the first books that has made me love stories for the rest of my life. Beautiful!
Haylee Luu
this is an amazing/extraordinary/spectacular book. It's about the adventure of Remi - a homeless boy. He travelled with his boss - Vitalis. There are so many breath-taking and heartbreaking scene. When Vitalis died,i felt so depressed like Remi :( Beautifully written! Such a must-read classic for everyone!
Seamaiden
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It's one of my favorite. It is bittersweet, full of feelings. It makes you feel so many things. You cry about the deaths. You smile about the good things. You travel with the boy. Such a wonderful book.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
A nostalgic read. This French late 19th century novel is clearly a tale that aims at teaching children good values and a few moral lessons. I did not read the book in my childhood but I vividly remember watching the Japanese cartoon version after school (produced a century after publication) and discussing the episode with my friends the next day. The plot is a lot longer than I remember, for example, I don’t remember Remi working in the coal mine in the TV series. Remi is loveable for his ...more
Chava
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a childhood favourite and I loved this re-read. It is even more heartbreaking now that I'm an adult and have kids. I hope I can get my kids to read this, I just love this book so much
I wish I'd read this when I was little - I'd have loved it even more!
Natalia Gaete
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ankita
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The perfect Happy ending! I loved it! In the end everyone got what they deserved...! Surely It's one of my favourite classics I've read which I can't put down before finishing... it made me shed tears of sorrow and happiness with its characters.. oh I'm so reading it again... its timeless.. you can relate to it whenever and at whatever age you read it..."
Sala Bim
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite books from my childhood! I think my Mom purchased this for me in a thrift store when I was very young and it became an instant favorite of mine. I still own that same copy and I return to it from time to time when I tire of the "new-age" stuff. It is an excellent story of a young boy's journey to reunite with his family.
Avram Cristina
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preferred
The book offers to the readers a series of events through which the little hero, Remi, a lost child, had to face numerous vicissitudes and hardships and besides all he is not losing the hope that one day will find his true family. Is a book for the soul.
Avram Cristina
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preferred
Iulia
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books as a kid. I still read it every now and then.
Enasumma
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing book . i love it :)
Acapella
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only book that can make me cry every time I read it, no matter how old I am.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Should these two books be combined? 2 27 Jun 04, 2017 04:30AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Nobody's boy by Hector Malot 6 26 Aug 21, 2015 02:54PM

• Tuổi Thơ Dữ Dội
  • Cô Gái Đến Từ Hôm Qua
  • Bỉ Vỏ
  • The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly
  • Dế Mèn Phiêu Lưu Ký (Diary of a Cricket)
  • Cuore
  • Những Ngày Thơ Ấu
  • Đất Rừng Phương Nam
  • Ngồi Khóc Trên Cây
  • Tôi Là Bêtô
  • Tắt Đèn
  • Cánh Đồng Bất Tận
Hector Malot was a French writer born in La Bouille, Seine-Maritime. He studied law in Rouen and Paris, but eventually literature became his passion. He worked as a dramatic critic for Lloyd Francais and as a literary critic for L'Opinion Nationale.
His first book, published in 1859, was Les Amants. In total Malot wrote over 70 books. By far his most famous book is Sans Famille (Nobody's Boy,
“Mais il faut bien dire qu'il y a quelque chose de plus important encore que le temps qu'on emploie au travail, c'est l'application qu'on y apporte; ce n'est pas l'heure que nous passons sur notre leçon qui met cette leçon dans notre mémoire, c'est la volonté d'apprendre.” 6 likes
“Vậy ra tôi chỉ yêu thương và được yêu thương để rồi phải xa lìa một cách phũ phàng, những người tôi cứ muốn sống suốt đời bên cạnh. Không có cách gì để có thể đoàn tụ họ lại được sao?” 6 likes