Start by marking “Who Is AC?” as Want to Read:
Who Is AC?

Who Is AC?

In this breakthrough graphic novel from the award-winning author of Mercury, there’s a new superhero in town—and she’s got kick-butt cyberpowers.

Meet Lin, a formerly average teenage girl whose cell phone zaps her with magical powers. But just as superpowers can travel through the ether, so can evil. As Lin starts to get a handle on her new abilities (while still observing
Published April 16th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Who Is AC?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is AC?

Start your review of Who Is AC?
Sesana
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
It's obvious that Hope Larson was watching Sailor Moon when she wrote this. As an homage to the magical girl genre, Who is AC? is fun enough. Lin, our magical girl character, is a great character. I like her passion for writing, and her family is loving and attentive (always nice to see in YA). This is essentially a lengthy pilot, so there's a lot of setup and little payoff. If there's going to be more AC volumes, that will be fine, but if this is it, it's kind of disappointing. There isn't much ...more
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
I liked the artwork, but everything else was just kind of...meh?
Nicolo
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel by Hope Larson and Tintin Pantoja was a pleasant surprise; meaning, I didn't expect to enjoy it that much but I did. It's a great story featuring fully fleshed out main characters and art with its manga influence on its sleeve.

My only complaint is that this was a lot of set-up for what appears to be a series that didn't pan out. It's a shame, I would have wanted to read more of it. Still, it was a nice light read during lazy holiday afternoons in a coffeehouse sipping tea.
Kayt O'Bibliophile
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I spent an inordinate amount of time in middle and high school reading Saint Tail, Sailor Moon, and Tokyo Mew Mew--like many others, I was a magical-girl junkie. I still am, or would be, if I could find a series that combined the fun and brightly-colored pretty costumes of teenage waifs fighting evil with a more balanced look at what the impact of that may be. Basically, I want magical josei.

Who is AC? does not, in any way, meet that want. It's aimed at kids--but I was still disappointed. For on
Amy
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
A few fun and funny moments, but really not much happens and the whole thing is obviously intended to 'warn' teens about what they do online. A noble cause, but despite great art it still came off very PSA/after school special. Seems like there will be more installments, I hope it can develop a better balance of lesson and story.
Katie Bruce
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This slim little graphic novel ended up being a bit more philosophical than I expected. As a fan of "Chiggers" and her interpretation of "A Wrinkle in Time," I was looking forward to this new book by Hope Larson. Although she doesn't do the illustrations in this one! Weird!

Lin, a 15-year-old into storytelling and making 'zines, has just moved to a new, very small town in upstate New York with her academic parents and younger brother. During the plane ride there, she has a VERY strange experience
Raina
Yay superheroes in daily life! Yay zine making in YA lit! Yay protagonists who are not white! Yay acknowledging the existence of technology!

This is really just the beginning. We're left with more questions than answers. All we know is that our protagonist (a female-identified mixed-race zine-making high school freshman)has superpowers involving rose petals and her cell phone. And there's a creepy supervillain stalking her through people and the internet.

It wasn't a total homerun for me. The tech
Naomi
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not blown away by the art or the writing. Wanted to love this biracial teenager who writes fantasy, makes zines, and turns into a badass superhero (doesn't that sound like all the ingredients for awesome?!), but ... I didn't. The dialogue fell pretty flat, the plot fell pretty flat, I just wasn't excited about this.
Becky
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, graphics, gifted
This book is fun but kind of weird. The villain is, like, an internet troll? And the troll makes people mean IRL? I was also surprised this was published in 2013, because Lin's cell phone is dated even for that time. It looks like an old Nokia.
Sasha
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2019
Swanky art, interesting back stories, intriguing conflict and plot... But it just ends and nothing is resolved and there wasn't enough of a cliff-hanger to care. What's up with that? And the bad guy is like a stereotypical computer nerd, not very cool or scary. It's a nicely baked but ultimately forgettable Saltine cracker without any aftertaste.
Stephanie Cooke
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Who is AC? was one of my purchases from Portland's Stumptown Comics Fest. I'd heard a little bit about the book and after briefly chatting with Larson at the show, I opted to pick up a copy for myself. Unfortunately, it just kind of lurked in my room up until recently when I decided to crack it open and give it a shot.

First of all, the book follows Lin, a 15-year old writer trying to get attention for her work while living in a small town. After a mysterious phone call while on an airplane, noth
Millenia
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: superhero-loving tweens

The superhero/magical girl genre is a familiar troupe, but if writers have an inspired sense of vision, they can turn it into something fresh and interesting. Cardcaptor Sakura used the "monster of the day" aspect of Magical Girl shows as a tool to create meaningful character interactions and to explore their feelings and points of view; Madoka Magica deconstructed the genre, created a suspenseful, heart-wrenching story, and offered a meditation on hope, sacrifice, and morality; Mawaru Penguindr
Christina Taylor
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Lin is the fifteen year old bi-racial daughter of a pair of academicians new to the New England college town of Barnhurst (population 2,647). Precocious in her literary ambitions, she sells copies of her self-published swashbuckling serial, The Travels of Rhea Ironheart, on consignment at the local bookstore. She has also just become a superheroine. When the binary string 00101111 01101101 01100101 (translating to “/me”, an Internet Relay Chat command and the name of a shadowy villain) appears o ...more
Kirsten
This was a disappointment. I was really excited about a new Hope Larson book, because I love her artwork so much. Unfortunately, this one's written by Larson, but illustrated by Tintin Pantoja, and Pantoja's artwork is not much to my liking. It looks amateurish to my eye, really -- a lot of the angles look distorted, and people's faces don't look quite right, but not so much in a manga sort of way as in a "drawing noses with a Sharpie is hard" kind of way.

It's not just the artwork, either; I ha
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I'll keep my remarks on this book short as it, unfortunately, did nothing for me. I loved Larson's Mercury but found this to be incomparable. The story was a pleasant diversion and the art is enjoyable thus worth a few stars and the time it took to read. However, I just did not connect with the characters. Honestly, I found them boring. AC's superhero persona was so mysterious as to be baffling and nothing was really resolved in the book. It is quite apparent that the story plans to continue wit ...more
Claire
I really, really liked the characters and the concept: the actual story/art execution, not so much. I wish this were a little more fully fleshed out, though maybe that can happen if it expands into a series.
David Schaafsma
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn-ya, gn-women
Not drawn by Hope Larson, so that was disappointing, since the artist isn't nearly as good... and even her story isn't interesting to me. Eh. Meh.
Izzy Book Queen
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute
Nicole Coxon
Well. The artwork is beautiful. But I was confused most of the way through and it didn’t feel like it had a point. It wasn’t bad. Just okay.
Natalie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young readers, females, coming-lovers
Shelves: graphic-novel, yal
WordsAreMyForte
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow... This was... A mess. Seriously.

Harkening back to the classic magical girl style of storytelling, Hope Larson tried to craft some sort of homage to titles such as sailor Moon and such. The result, however, was a jumbled mess of disjointed characters, plot, and themes. The characters were flat and didn't add much depth to the story (esp. glasses guy, he had no role in the bare bones of a plot whatsoever). Whatever weird backstory was behind the Sailor Moon-esque powers is never revealed, and
Nancy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to agree with one of the previous reviews. This does seem like a set up for further books. Unlike that person I did not find it to be bad writing. It is from the view point of a 13 year old and that may be where the previous reviewer thought it was poorly written. I thought the author captured the viewpoint of an early teen spot on. I work with kids 11 to 18 and have seen their views first hand. I look forward to seeing if this becomes a series. They gave enough back story to be intereste ...more
Kimberly Destree
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was a tad disappointed in this book. I love Hope Larson, so I pre-ordered this book before it came out. I should have just waited to get it from the library. It took me two tries to get through it, which is unusual for me.

The story was okay & well-written enough, but the art left much to be desired. Some pages were okay, others were messy & super hard to follow. It's worth ago if you're a fan, but don't expect Larson's usually high caliber.
Nick Fagerlund
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
I was all ready to like this, and then I just couldn't manage to actually like it. The story just seemed busted somehow. Incomplete motivations, incomplete magical mechanics, unclear stakes, unclear causes and effects. It has the exterior gestures of a magical girl story, but lacks the working core.

Larson's other books are better.
Rosa Elena Burgos
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I loved the color pallet of the graphic novel. This is a warning to teens about being careful online, which I applause the author for. I like that Lin's family is attentive to her and that Lin is an aspiring comic book creator herself. I feel like I needed more from the story itself. I know this is the first volume, but the pacing felt slow.
Shana
I was so lost while reading this comic. I know there is a superhero that has something to do with the internet and fights (internet) trolls, but there were other storylines that I have no idea how they truly tie in. This is not getting 1-star, because I enjoyed the art style.
Kristen
I liked the illustrations but the plot was a bit all over the place and I felt very confused hopping into this book. Usually I love graphic novels, but I had trouble focusing on this one and connecting what was going on.
Autumn
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
AC made me audibly laugh a few times due to her sheer authenticity. She’s very sassy. Some of the scenes were confusing because they jumped around a lot but overall it’s a pretty cute story, with homage to Sailor Moon and internet trolls.
Jasmine Melvin
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I told myself that I would read it over and over again. I would love it if the author could turn this into a series. I really love this book. the details are epic. The storyline is great. The superhero"AC" is amazing. This book inspired me to make my own superhero.
I don't really get it... Art's pretty fun and it has potential, but it feels really incomplete and overall not the greatest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • Snapdragon
  • Twins
  • Stepping Stones
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Bug Boys
  • Karen's Roller Skates (Baby-sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #2)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Aster and the Accidental Magic
  • Glitch
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.