Start by marking “Millions, Billions, & Trillions” as Want to Read:
Millions, Billions, & Trillions

Millions, Billions, & Trillions

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
The winning nonfiction team returns with a larger-than-life math book that is sure to fascinate young readers. Huge numbers are hard to comprehend. This book explains quantities in terms children can understand. For example, one million dollars could buy two full pizzas a day for more than sixty-eight years.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2013 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Millions, Billions, & Trillions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millions, Billions, & Trillions

Barbara
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, picture-book
With examples that make huge numbers easier for youngsters to understand, this text highlights hard-to-imagine numbers such as a million, a billion, and a trillion. The illustrations show exactly how many zeros are needed for the numbers as well as visual representations of them. Readers can think about trying to count to a million, which would take more than eleven days or consider how many pizzas a million dollars could buy--enough to pay for two pizzas every day for at least 68 years. (Althou ...more
Judy Desetti
Very good book and one to add to our collection for math concepts. This book will certainly help kids visualize and understand the numbers of million, billion, and trillion and what it means.

Reminds me of David Schwartz books How Much is a Million? and On Beyond a Million, an amazing math Journey.

How Much Is a Million? by David M. Schwartz On Beyond a Million An Amazing Math Journey by David M. Schwartz

Recommended.

Read this one to my grandson, 2nd grader, and he loved it.
Sondra Eklund
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love it that this book exists! It focuses on putting one million, one billion, and one trillion in terms children can understand.

For example:

There are about one million granules of sugar in 1/4 cup.

The heads on ten thousand people together have about one billion hairs.

With a billion dollars, at five dollars a sundae, you could buy one thousand sundaes every day for more than five hundred years.

One trillion popped kernels of popcorn would fill two billion bags of popcorn -- enough for about si
Great Books
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Clever and mindblowing, this book makes it easier to grasp those big numbers that are commonly used but not-so-commonly understood. It's easier to concieve of how big a million is after you learn that there are about a million grains of sugar in a 1/4 cup....a billion is more impressive when you hear it would take more than 32 years to count that high...and a trillion? Just read the book and be wowed by how vast a trillion is. An author's note tackles numbers even beyond a trillion. Surprisingly ...more
Kathryn Bergeron
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, youth-all
Summary: Large numbers!

Why I Read This: I meant to order "Trillions: Thriving in the Emerging Information Economy", but I ordered this instead.

Review: It wasn't bad. I learned all kinds of fun things. Did you know that you can't count to a trillion?
Candice
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book breaks down a big number for kids in ways they understand. They connect it to things they would understand like how much money buying 2 pizzas every day for 68 years would cost. This was a fun book with great illustrations. I give it a 4 because it's a great book to teach with kids in ways they'd love.
Taya Bower
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
This book is about teaching children big numbers. The author use children's terms and fun examples to help teach this children the importance of knowing your big numbers. It's humorous and engaging for any age. I think this book is a great way to get these ideas and concepts across and for that reason. I gave this book a 4 star rating.
Jesse Cox
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the representation of numbers through illustrations so the kiddos can comprehend easily. The examples are relatable, yet will require children to think critically. Overall a fun read for a classroom to involve everyone, and learn at the same time.
Mary Madison
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This book explains big numbers in a way that kids can truly understand. It answers questions like "How many ice cream Sundays would one billion dollars buy?". I would read this in any elementary classroom because I think the kids would be fascinated. This book is fabulous!!
Whole And
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great resource to understand BIG numbers with real life applications such as population numbers and comparisons to fun facts to keep kids interested and getting them thinking about and understanding the impact of such large numbers.
Stephanie Watson
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Does a good job covering the concept of large numbers. Very similar to "How Much is a Million" by David Schwartz - which I would probably choose over this one if I was going to pick just one.
Lizzie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Used this book more than once in my class. I enjoyed it and so did the kids.
Ashley Frickson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
A math book for young readers. This book helps children with huge numbers that are hard to comprehend.
Kelly
Very easy to understand concept on millions, billions, and trillions. A must-have.
Nicole
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction

(Primary) Millions, Billions, and Trillions by David A. Alder

Twin Text: How Many Jellybeans by Andrea Menotti Copyright 2012

Rationale: I selected this book because it shows the journey of two kids who learn about large numbers through counting jellybeans. Emma and Aiden start out by requesting small amounts of jellybean and eventually get to numbers like one million! Sometimes, such big numbers can seem abstract to younger students, because they never face them in their daily life. This book als
Laura (Amys)
One million is a lot, but a billion is even more and a trillion is so big that it's nearly impossible to count to. If you want to know how many slices of pizza you could by for 68 years with one million dollars of how high a trillion dollar bills stacks up to be, this book is for you. Even if you want to learn a little bit more about how big these numbers truly are, I would recommend reading it. It has wonderful illustrations and comparisons to help you realize how big a million, billion and tri ...more
Erin
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
INFORMATIONAL - This informational text by David Adler provides a great example of how picture books can be used in subjects other than just reading and literature. By creating concrete examples and connections of what the number one million, one billion, and one trillion look like students in upper elementary and beyond can begin to understand the scope of the symbolic representations we typically restrict ourselves to in math class. The interactive text that talks directly to the readers asks ...more
Tracy St. John
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could see my first graders falling in love with this book! They are fascinated by large numbers and I frequently have to pull them back on track when they start asking about huge numbers in the middle of math class! This book focuses on the number one million, one billion, and one trillion and attempts to relate it to things more measurable to children (or at least show them how farfetched some of these numbers are!) Another topic this book touches on is counting to each of these numbers, oh t ...more
Dolly
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When our youngest daughter first saw this book, she said that she didn't need to read it since she knew all about these numbers. She knew that a million was a one with six zeroes, etc. But I told her to give it a chance.

This is a really fun book to read aloud with children. I loved how the book put into context what each of these numbers really mean, so that when we talk about a million, billion, trillion (or even higher), we truly get a concept of what that stands for. The examples are tangibl
Michelle Moore
Core Curricular Tie: Math and Social Studies

How Could Be Used:
This would be a perfect book to introduce place value. It has visuals and helps kids understand how big these numbers really are. It also talks about in which ways these big numbers are used. It would be good for social studies because it talks about how important it is to understand these big numbers for population and what politicians are talking about when talking about government spending.

Rationale:
Visuals are so important in math
Ashley Simpson
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-350
This math book shows how things work in kids' heads in simple terms. It compares different numbers to the hairs on our heads to grans of sugar to popcorn kernels.

This was a really cool math book that relates the readers to their everyday lives'. It's simplistic and the kids would be able to read this book well, even if they don't enjoy the subject of math.

This would definitely make a couple of appearances in my classroom and even more in my lessons. It's good to know how to relay the material i
Abby Johnson
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book succinctly and graphically explains huge numbers like millions, billions, and trillions. Want to have a concept of what a million is? Take a quarter cup of sugar and pour it out onto a piece of dark construction paper. You have about a million grains of sugar there. The book uses solid examples that will help kids conceptualize these huge numbers. I can see using this book in a library program about math - pair it with David Schwartz's HOW MUCH IS A MILLION? and his IF YOU HOPPED LIKE ...more
Kaycie Fletcher
This book is a very good one to use in the classroom. It focuses on giving big numbers a reality to grasp for students. This would be a great book to use in the classroom because it might help wrap the minds of young students around these big, difficult numbers. I know that it honestly helped me, and I am 20! He uses examples such as, a 1/4 scoop of sugar has about a million granules in it. That is crazy! And he uses many more illustrations of every day things that students are actually familiar ...more
Becky B
Let’s face it. Numbers followed by a train of zeros are really hard to picture. What does a million or billion even look like? You hear these numbers in news reports and science figures, but do you really understand them? David Adler and Edward Miller do their best to take these great, big, huge, monstrous numbers and put them in terms and pictures even young readers can understand.

A superb resource for math and science classrooms studying these really big numbers.
Julie
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Counting to a million would take days. Counting to a billion would take years. And counting to a trillion would be impossible. But when people talk about the population of large countries, it's good to know how much a million and a billion are. When politicians talk about how much our government spends and how much money it owes, it's good to know how much a trillion is."

Such wisdom...and in a children's book.
Emily
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My 6 year old and I giggled our way through this book. The kid friendly explanations and examples made millions, billions and trillions easy to understand. There are lots of fun and colourful illustrations, and silly little details that made us laugh. I would have rated this book 5 stars, but there was a fair amount of examples that talked about the United States which wasn't very relevant for my little Canadian :) Would have loved to see more variety using examples around the world.

Marina
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It's hard to grasp the concept of such big numbers. The book shows how the numbers are written and what they mean but the only thing they gave a visual experiment to do was the granules of sugar in 1/4 cup would be about a million. Good information but considering it's hard to visualize and portray such a large number anywhere, let alone in a picture book, it's difficult to tell if it hit it's mark with grasping the concept for the age group intended.
Tiff
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
“Millions…” is a great book to read to overcome the fear of large numbers. I have been frazzled most of my life with big daunting numbers such as a million, let alone trillions! David Adler suggests comparisons to what a million could feel like so the readers can get a better inkling of what such a large number could consist of. This is a non-fiction book and David Adler and Edward Miller did a wonderful job introducing large numbers to children of all ages.
Alex Wulfekuhle
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This book provides a great example of how picture books can be used in subjects other than just reading and literature. By creating concrete examples and connections of what the number one million, one billion, and one trillion look like students in upper elementary and beyond can begin to understand complex numbers
Mattathias
The problem with numbers as big as a billion is even concrete examples (how many pizzas could a million dollars buy? How many bags would a trillion kernels of popcorn fill?) end up just boggling the mind. They're not numbers you can wrap your head around easily, because they're so much bigger than most of what we experience. Still, this book is a good introduction of the concept.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Seeing Symmetry
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Bone by Bone: Comparing Animal Skeletons
  • How Big Were Dinosaurs?
  • Creature Features: Twenty-Five Animals Explain Why They Look the Way They Do
  • Peace
  • Jimmy the Joey: The True Story of an Amazing Koala Rescue
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • The Blue Whale
  • Bedtime Math: A Fun Excuse to Stay Up Late
  • The Price of Freedom: How One Town Stood Up to Slavery
  • Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • That's a Possibility!: A Book About What Might Happen
  • Mysterious Patterns: Finding Fractals in Nature
  • How Many Jelly Beans?
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler