Start by marking “Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition” as Want to Read:
Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition

Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Here, collected in one volume, are tales and legends that range from the misty dawn of Gaelic history and the triumph of St. Patrick to the Ireland of the present day--tales as beautiful, mystical, and enchanting as the ancient land itself.
Published August 24th 1989 by Sphere (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition

Christopher
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This summer I picked up a book called, Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus by Michael Scott, from Dublin Ireland. This book compiled 17 Irish folk tales into one. It caught my attention because the first three stories are about the sorrows of Irish storytelling. It takes upon various tales and roles them into one. The stories are like Homers, Odyssey in that it is a tale with many quests. They also pull from the traditional Irish Catholic theme of penance and doing good for others less fortunate. ...more
Juicy Julian
Many of the renditions of old mythology, stories of the Tuatha Dé Danann, were made good renditions of and written in engaging ways. Mythological stories like the Children of Lir, The Sons of Tureen, The Sons of Usnach, Midir and Etain, etc etc. were all told very well. However, the smaller stories seemingly constructed entirely by the author himself around cliché folklore like Leprechauns, Bean-Sí, that were more very short stories told for themselves without any depth to them, unlike old tales ...more
Mae
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ireland
Well written interesting effort to compile Irish Fairy tales. I found particularly good, how he organized the book chronologically, The reader travels through time and revisits Irish magic history. We have the opportunity to meet some of the characters. My favorite being Nano Hayes. She is the quintessential Irish grandmother/sorceress. After almost 900 pages, I wanted more and would have gladly read another 900 pages.
Ireland is a place that looks magic, and I can understand where all these stor
Winterdragon
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folk-tales
It was a pleasure to dive headlong into the Irish folklore. Interesting, too, to see that basically all tropes of modern fantasy have their roots in Irish myth. Diverse and accessible, I thoroughly recommend this 600+ pages collection of fairytales to anyone with a taste for storytelling tradition or the fantastic.
Erren Wolf
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am of Irish ancestry and I really love the fairy tales of old Ireland. They are simple, but captivating and makes you wonder what true tale they came from and how their stories ended up as they are today, or were they totally stories of someone else's imagination of long ago?
Christine
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love this book, the stories are so interesting and the charaters so attention grabbing that you wont want to put it down, belive me. The stories with Nano Hayes are my personal favorite but I also love the were-creature stories and the stories about the farie host.
Minette Visser
<3<3<3
Maggie
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
One of the books that travels with me wherever i move
Michelle
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So many fun tales.
Ecskchia
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a great book for short stories. Love the Irish folklores. A must read if you can get a hold of it. And more importantly if you enjoy folklores and fairy tales.
Yana
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
Измъчи ме и я зарязах накрая. :(
James Kellar
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Vanishing People: Fairy Lore and Legends
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • Classic Celtic Fairy Tales
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Complete Guide to Faeries  Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Celtic Heritage: Ancient Tradition in Ireland and Wales
  • A Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend and Folklore
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • A Treasury of Hans Christian Andersen
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
Irish-born Michael Scott began writing over thirty years ago, and is one of Ireland's most successful and prolific authors, with over one hundred titles to his credit, spanning a
variety of genres, including Fantasy, Science Fiction and Folklore.

He writes for both adults and young adults and is published in thirty-seven countries, in over twenty languages.

Praised for his “unparalleled contribution