Start by marking “The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!

The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!

A classic tale with a timeless message gets a hugely hilarious twist.

He's big. He's funny. He's not real. Or IS he?

This clever twist on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is told from the point of view of an unexpected narrator and, through snappy text and lighthearted illustrations, demonstrates the value of telling the truth, the importance of establishing trust, and (of
Published February 5th 2013 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!
Sylvester
3* art
3* story

A tongue-in-cheek version of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. A good one for illustrating to a kid why lying doesn't work for you.
Lea
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cute book. Found at the Humboldt Redwood State Park and got for my nephew. The illustrations are vibrant and the story is pretty simple - don’t lie or no one will believe you.
Richie Partington
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: THE BOY WHO CRIED BIGFOOT! by Scott Magoon, Simon & Schuster, February 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-1257-7

"I didn't normally talk to a Littlefoot. But there was something about this Ben I liked. He was a determined fellow. I also liked his bike! I asked, 'Mind if I take it for a ride?'"

As we know, young kids soak up new words better than the leading brand of paper towels. So watch your mouth!

No, what I really mean is that it is always great to see big
Matthew Hunter
I enjoyed a number of things about The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!:

- Our toddler wanted a repeat read.
- Magoon's illustrations, especially his depiction of light (fading and brightening skies), were well done.
- It's fun that you don't know until halfway through the book that Bigfoot's the narrator. Bigfoot's name for Ben - Littlefoot - is hilarious.
- The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot! breathes fresh life into the classic tale of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".
- I found Magoon's depiction of Ben's p
The Library Lady
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once more, I HATE the "Berenstain Bears" and every other badly written morality fable out there. I HATE biliotherapy because it's a crock. And I HATE when parents come in wanting to use "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" as a way to teach their kids not to lie. Puh-leez!

This isn't a morality fable. Heck, Ben may have learned "the importance of always telling the truth", but all it really means is that when he really DOES see Bigfoot and can't prove it, he is determined to prove it.

As M
Allies Opinions
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This adorable retelling of the age old fable “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” will have you laughing out loud! My littles enjoyed the easy to understand story and my three year old even picked up that the story warns against lying. The author also throws the mini-reader for a loop by introducing one big word…Tenacious. Believe me, my son noticed. The second that word came out of my mouth he was asking me what it meant. Needless to say, I’m impressed!

The illustrations have muted colors but I
Dolly
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, pets, 2013
I love that the story is told from the point of view of a character that is discovered later in the story. Without giving away the plot, it's an entertaining take on the classic fable of The Boy Who Cried Wolf by Aesop.

The narrative is fun to read aloud and the digital illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and really steal the show. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Rachael
I really liked this book. Now that I'm reflecting on it again I'm feeling a little less enthused about it, though. Sure it was humorous and it does a good job of simplifying the classic tale of the boy who cried wolf (without getting gruesome) but I feel like the author could have taken it a step further and added little more oomph! It's cute, it's funny, and I will be purchasing it for our collection.
Samantha
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A twist on the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." The story is told from Bigfoot's perspective which makes for a humorous telling and a non-threatening presence of such a mysterious and sometimes feared figure.

Digital illustrations perfectly complement the story and add so many extras for young readers to pick up on. GREAT read aloud with some excellent vocabulary words (i.e tenacious is used frequently).
Barbara
Like the boy who cried wolf, Ben swears that he has seen Bigfoot and that the others have just missed him. But when he finally does meet the creature, no one believes him. The digital illustrations fit the story well as Ben finally does get his wish, but then determinedly, wants to prove that he did see Bigfoot. I like to imagine that Bigfoot is still out there, watching Ben and his antics with amusement.
Julian
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niños
Great! I was looking to drive this message after the little one has been having real stomach issues, and she's discovered she can use them when she doesn't want to do something, like going to kindergarten. One minute she's fine and enjoying herself, but if we tell her it's time to go to school....stomach pains get to her.

Unfortunately, the telling of "Boy who cried wolf" ended up in tears after the image of a beast devouring the cute sheep, so "The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!" was a great alternativ
Logan Phillips
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a really cool alteration of its original form. I like the sepia colored background I fell it makes the book feel like the 20's. I think this book would be a great addition to a fairy tale text set. Fairy tales and fables both do a great job of teaching life lessons and studying them in class could kill two birds with one stone.
Kara Campfield
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-books
A boy who is constantly crying that he sees Bigfoot. Until he actually see's Bigfoot and no one believes him anymore. He has a change of heart and begins to start getting actual proof.
1. Lying (Boy who cried Wolf Story)
2. Bigfoot (myths)
3. Compare & Contrast (Boy who cried wolf vs boy who cried bigfoot)
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben called "Bigfoot" so many times that people wouldn't believe him that Bigfoot existed. That left Ben with a real problem when he most needs them to believe him. This is a cute story told in the voice of Bigfoot. Fun illustrations.
Lexi
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cvtc-child-lit
A good book with a good message. I think children in Preschool-grade 2 would enjoy it as a read aloud. The message is to always tell the truth, and it has new vocabulary words that could lead to great class discussions.
Garrett
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-time
No one believed me the time I saw a ghost in the woods in the park by my house as a kid either. Except, in reality, it was probably just a shadow. Just like Ben's Bigfoot was probably a hallucination caused by eating the wrong wild mushrooms.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
A great tale on why you shouldn't lie.

*Talking points - Why is it so hard to believe someone if you know they have lied to you before? When is it hard to tell the truth? Do you admire people who lie or tell the truth?
Cody Deserranno
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, good-natured story as well as a cute twist on the fable. The moral remains intact, with the added bonus of bright, colourful illustrations that make this great for story time. Maybe a little adrupt with the ending, but otherwise enjoyed it.
Susan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Fun twist on The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Kids love Bigfoot.
Chloe Chance
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
He was a good storyteller.his name was Ben.he was friends with a Bigfoot but no one believed him.so he went to set up a camera so he could get a shot of the Bigfoot
Catherine
NIce twist to the classic fable.
emyrose8
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"What a tenacious fellow he is." I love it. The characters' facial expressions make the book ten times better (the dog! the sister! the tired mom!)
Lindsey Binford
Jun 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anders deathly afraid of it
Teresa
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A funny update on the “boy who cried wolf” story with Big Foot as the narrator.
Ms. Arca
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Multiple perspectives fun, and a goofy spin on a classic lesson.
Alyssa Tabor
Could use for family storytime. Maybe a little simple for elementary?
Anna
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but the text/dialogue style isn't great for a storytime setting.
Jennifer E.  Adams
Cute follow up to reading Jack and the Wolf (the boy who cried wolf) in our reading books.
Darinda
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A boy cries bigfoot... and then he really sees him. The boy is determined to prove he did see bigfoot, but nobody believes him. A fun and silly story. Great, bold artwork.
mary dewley
Cute picture book about a boy who claims to see Bigfoot, and then one day he actually does.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Boy Who Cried Wolf
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #3)
  • The Epic Adventures of Huggie & Stick
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • The Scariest Book Ever
  • Walt Disney's Three Little Pigs (A Little Golden Book)
  • Dude!
  • Misunderstood Shark: Friends Don't Eat Friends
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Rough Patch
  • Misunderstood Shark
  • Spoon
  • Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse
  • Bruce's Big Move
  • Fly Guy Presents: Castles (Scholastic Reader, Level 2)
  • Cars: Look and Find
  • Little Tigers
  • Mini Rabbit Not Lost (Mini Rabbit)