Start by marking “The Case of the Angry Mourner” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Angry Mourner

The Case of the Angry Mourner

(Perry Mason #38)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  487 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When notorious playboy Arthur Cushing is murdered, Belle Adrian suspects that her daughter, Carlotta, is the killer, and Carlotta suspects her mother of the crime. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 164 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Angry Mourner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Angry Mourner

Melindam
Full of intensity, swing and the usual razzmatazz with Perry Mason pulling legal rabbits out of his magician's hat. A favourite Mason-novel.

description

Perry Mason is having a ski-minibreak in a winter resort, but isn't particularly enjoying it, missing the challenge & turmoil of his work. So isn't it "fortunate" that a murder is committed on his doorstep - or at least very close to where he is staying. Arthur Cushing, a playboy with bad reputation & son of a rich banker is found dead in his winter-
Evgeny
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unusually for a book of the series it took four chapters before Perry Mason finally showed up. A woman and her daughter were relaxing in a cabin in resort area when a murder was committed nearby.
Cabin in the woods
The circumstances of it were such that each suspected the other did it. They tried to cover up for each other. Fortunately the mother recalled a famous criminal defense lawyer Perry Mason was taking a break from work in the same neighborhood. Unfortunately she lied to him through her teeth.
Lie through teeth

Perry Mason
Carol
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
When notorious playboy Arthur Cushing is murdered, Belle Adrian suspects that her daughter, Carlotta, is the killer, and Carlotta suspects her mother of the crime. In the mountains they have cabins that Perry Mason and other customers uses, and when they heard noises during the night, they think it sounds like a gun shot or car back firing. They then hear it for so long that they go across the area and see if they can see what is going on. Upon doing so, they find Mr. Cushings body that had been ...more
Jim Thomas
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I grew up reading Hammett, Spillane, Chandler, Cain and all the hardboiled types. Also the "locked room impossible" cases by Ellery Queen, John Dickson Carr, Rex Stout Agatha Christie and as far as Erle Stanley Gardner, I read his Donald Lam - Bertha Cool books. This may be my only Perry Mason book because I grew up when Perry Mason was on television every week and just never picked up the books. This was just ok. Fun to read but nothing all that impressive. It's worth reading in one sitting if ...more
Whistlers Mom
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"These are such happy days."

The 1950's were innocent times, right? Yet this book was published in 1951 and the plot revolves around the murder of a rich, handsome playboy who has a nasty hobby. We'd call it "date-rape." Back then he was a "wolf" who wouldn't take no for an answer and didn't mind getting rough to get what he wanted. He knew he could get away with it. As one of his victims says, "No girl wants to come forward and make charges that are going to get her a lot of publicity." Indeed,
Lois
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I frequently read a Perry Mason mystery to take a break from other types of books. From a very prolific writer, The Case of the Angry Mourner is one that is mostly solved in the courtroom by Perry Mason, who thinks fast on his feet. I love to watch him in action.

Generally, what I love about Gardner's books is the jump back in time, the stereotypes and lack of political correctness. I've never read one of his that isn't completely enjoyable.
Vincent Darlage
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Despite the misspellings early on in the book (Arthur was sometimes spelled Authur or Author), this was a really good mystery. The conclusion was logical, and the mystery was good... and I just like it when Perry is an ass and wins.
Dave
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gardner's Perry Mason is one of the most beloved characters in fiction and on the television screen. Gardner, who was a well known criminal defense attorney in Ventura, California, wrote dozens and dozens of Perry Mason mysteries. How he found time to actually practice law is the mystery, but perhaps once he started, these books wrote themselves. In many ways, Perry Mason follows in the Sherlock Holmes tradition with deductive reasoning being the key.

This mystery has very little action, very lit
Andres
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hoogne ja mõnus, nagu Perry Masoni lood ikka.

Ja kuigi lõpplahendus on piisavalt ettearvamatu ja üllatav, jäi midagi siiski puudu. Võib-olla see, et tegelasi oli vähe. Ja kuna klassikalises kriminaalromaanis peab süüdlaseks olema keegi, kes on sisse toodud juba raamatu alguses, ei olnud seda just keeruline aimata.

Võib-olla aga hoopis Perry Masoni temperamendi ja hoogsuse vähesus. Arusaadav muidugi, advokaat oli parasjagu puhkusel ja seega veidi väsinum, kui tavaliselt. Aga siiski. :)

Hea ajavii
Vicki O.
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mason wins again

Good mystery. I read every Perry Mason mystery in the library in the late 50s and early 60s. I was hooked on mysteries. It's great fun to re-read them now and see the difference in the plot of the book and the corresponding TV show. This book was fun even though the plot could be confusing. There is also the time the story is set that makes the communication methods stand out. Pay phones on the corner, no phones in the cabins, a switchboard operator that made personal phone calls
Hariharasubramanian
Ingenous plot and shrewdest detection.

Height of criminal mind and typical Mason shrewdness in unraveling the plot. One of the best stories by the author.
Serena
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating System:
RJ
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was better than the other Perry Mason books that I've read. Fast moving story, even though it isn't action packed.
Sreedhar Pothukuchi
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A run of the mill Perry Mason. Nice and pacy though.
Richard Olmsted
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Perry Mason fans
This is an outstanding Perry Mason novel, with lots and lots of clues and an interesting plot. Earle Stanley Gardner was at his apex.
James Vest
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Besides a jarring start without Garner’s famous attorney, this tale builds to a steady boil with all the hallmarks of a satisfying Mason mystery.
Christine Parker
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge, read-2017
A little bit tame by today's standards but I know a lot of people still like that.
V good of its type.
Tina
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really like it
Richa
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very gripping. Too many red herrings for my taste, but the end is pretty convincing.
Tony
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE CASE OF THE ANGRY MOURNER. (1951). Erle Stanley Gardner. ***1/2.
Gardner provides a clever plot involving the murder of a young man with satyr tendencies. He was entertaining the daughter of a neighboring cabin at a resort when he began to put the moves on her. A struggle ensued and the girl left in a disheveled state with her blouse ripped. In the meantime, her mother began to get worried and went over to the cabin to see what was going on. Suddenly there was a scream and a shot rang out. Th
Eva Inzu
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seringnya saya menganggap buku yang berhasil itu (salah satunya) buku yang membuat pembacanya bertahan membacanya dalam sekali baca. dan jika tidak pun, membuat si pembaca terngiang-ngiang keasyikan membaca buku tersebut dan ingin segera membacanya kembali. Saya rasa kisah Perry Mason ini pun demikian. Boleh dikatakan, menurut saya, Perry Mason itu seperti Hercule Poirot dalam ruang sidang. cheeky.. hahaha :D
dan Erle Stanley Gardner selalu mengembangkan karakter-karakter yang tidak setengah-sete
Ed
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#38 in the Perry Mason series. Perry is having a short vacation at the mountain cabin of a client. The murder takes place nearby and almost all of the action takes place in this small community giving the mystery a much more restricted venue than usual. Perry's client is not truthful with him (a usual condition) causing him to exercise his imagination and nimble wits when the prosecutor is able to blindside him in court. Very enjoyable entry in the series.

Perry Mason series - A playboy is murder
RL
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erle Stanly Gardner sold millions of copies of Perry Mason. In looking at history, one should not overlook what people were reading at the time one is studying. There is a grittier, more realistic, edge to this book that one does not see in the tv show. It does give a brief glimpse of race relations in 1951. I intend to read a couple of more Perry Mason novels that were written in different years. I intend to read at least one from WW2 and at least one from the Depression. This will enable me to ...more
False
Gardner throws in a red herring where there are potentially five women who could have killed the philandering young man (in a wheelchair with a broken ankle from a ski accident.) In the end, it's a former land owner and a property deal gone bad--nothing to do with "les girls" after all. I found certain sections, especially during the courtroom scenes, repetitive: different witnesses repeating the same story I did read the first edition, which is always a treat. I'm still digging up a few of the ...more
Ria Ali
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jyotika Varmani
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Perry Mason book can never be boring and this one was another page turner. My only disappointment was with the suspense which was quite a giveaway in this one. Nonetheless, thrilling and engrossing. A must read.
Shaeri
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystry
I just discoered Perry Mason, and The Case of the Angry Mourner is an ideal pulp, murder, suspects, courtroom, broken mirror, bullet shot everything put in together. An easy read, for a lazy afternoon. After Agatha Christie, this one I will recommend to Mystery genre aficionados.
Give it a go
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

I didn't love the conclusion of this mystery - the motive felt a bit weaker than the motives other people would have had. I did like the characters though, and I liked the dynamic of Mason working in a town where he was the odd one out since he wasn't a native.
Brandy B. Stark
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I enjoy my pulp. Fiction. It is fun to see Perry unravel the case....and beat the system. He is a good boy, and that is what makes him fun!
Rupesh Goenka
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
One can never shy away from reading a humour infused excellent Perry Mason courtroom drama.
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
  • An Accidental American
  • Cat of Many Tails (Ellery Queen Detective, #20)
  • River of Shadows
  • Carte Blanche
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • The Emperor's Snuff-Box
  • Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1)
  • The Missing Chapter
  • A Bullet for Cinderella
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • The Mocking Program (Angel Cardenas, #2)
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2)
  • The Suspect
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager
“However, as a true scientist, Dr. Ford is utterly indifferent to public praise on the one hand, or public criticism on the other. He only wants to satisfy his own conscience. What people may then say or think is of no concern.” 0 likes