Start by marking “Adolescents at School: Perspectives on Youth, Identity, and Education” as Want to Read:
Adolescents at School: Perspectives on Youth, Identity, and Education

Adolescents at School: Perspectives on Youth, Identity, and Education

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
As any teacher or parent knows, adolescence is a time when youth grapple with the question, "Who am I?" The answers don't always come easily. Issues of race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, and ability often complicate this question for youth, affecting their schoolwork and their relationships with teachers, administrators, and peers.

Adolescents at School giv
Published June 26th 2003 by Harvard Education PR (first published March 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adolescents at School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adolescents at School

Jordan
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a solution to the issues of adolescent identity development and education. Rather, it offers food for thought on the variety and complexity of adolescent issues.

I was really surprised by this book. The range of topics, as well as the insights of each of the authors, have given me much to consider in approaching education and building relationships with my students.
Kara Jones
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
YUCK! A bunch of PC garbage!!! 250 pages of yada yada yada. I am so glad it is over! I really hope I get a reasonable buy back on this book. Did I mention I didn't really enjoy this book???
Katherine Wren
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book that explores all areas of identity formation. The interviews with adolescents are poignant and extremely beneficial to educators who wish to do all they can for those who have "fallen through the cracks". The adolescents speak for themselves: Sadowski does not try to speak for them or over them. Instead, he provides context and clarity. All educators should read this book.
Ryan Mooney
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Educators and Activists
This is an excellent collection of journal-based essays on issues surrounding adolescence and public education. It informs the reader of interventions that schools can use to improve their faculty's understanding of racial, cultural and gender differences. There are several vignettes about student success stories and public school's that are making an effort to accommodate diverse populations.
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who interacts with adolescents
Recommended to Elizabeth by: I read it for my Adolescent Development course at NYU.
This book is a collection of essays about many different types of adolescents, from LGBT students to Asian-American students to boys vs. girls. In the end, this book affirmed for me that there are certain universal truths about adolescents, especially in terms of forging a self-identity at that age. I found it very helpful to read the array of essays. The writing is accessible and direct, not overly wordy like some similar texts.
Ruth
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who work with teens
Recommended to Ruth by: class
This book is a collection of essays about teens and the sorts of things that affect their lives, specifically in school. Most of the essays are awesome and insightful. I had to read it for a class, but it was definitely an enjoyable read, and would be a great resource for a parent of a teen or anyone who will be working with teenagers.
Andrea
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super rare that a textbook is intriguing enough to finish reading the whole thing including the parts that weren't assigned by the professor so I decided to add it to my Goodreads. If you are looking for a book that explores the different identities that adolescents carry, this textbook is great!
Acacia  Lasita