Start by marking “Without Mercy” as Want to Read:
Without Mercy

Without Mercy

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Providing an account of her battle with an abusive man and with bureaucracy, this is the story of a woman's fight against a violent and tyrannical relationship, and her struggle to reclaim her two daughters, sold into marriage in the Yemen.
Published May 1st 1996 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Without Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Mercy

Sabrina Rutter
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Uzma
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book is a description of a British mother's struggle to free her daughters from modern slavery, who were sold by their own Yemeni father to husbands they had never seen and sent to live in some remote village of Yemen. The girls were fooled into the idea that they're going to spend a holiday with relatives in a paradise away from their hometown Birmingham. After the girls didn't return for almost a year and the father refused to share with the mother why the girls aren't returning, submissiv ...more
RickyB
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is about Miriam Ali (as the subtitle says, A Mother's Struggle Against Modern Slavery) and as long as the reader doesn't forget that it should be an OK read. I knew enough about Miriam after the first hundred pages and then, thankfully, she finally tries to do something about getting her daughters back. But it is, essentially, a book about Miriam - her thoughts, experiences, feelings, etc.

I had one major issue with this book.

On page 29, Miriam writes, "It was not my idea [being with Mu
Nabil  Binmngash
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok

I read this book and sold as well. It is not bad in term of the way it written. However, it does not tell you the real story of what happened. That is because there was always one side of the story !!!
Shahrun
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of a British mothers struggle to free her daughters from child marriages in the Yemen. One daughter Zana managed to free herself and wrote a book on her experiences (with Andrew Crofts) called SOLD. I felt something was missing from that account. I found what was missing on the pages of this book. In my opinion you can't read one without the other.

This book gives a more complete picture of the Ali-Muhsen family life. We find out how Miriam got together with Muthana (wh
Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written true account, I felt for the mother and girls so much.
However I had to keep asking myself what kind of mother lets her husband take their daughters to the Yemen after he had already left two of their other children there!?? How could she possibly fall for this a second time?? Either way it is a lovely true life account, f the cruel life women lead when in Yemmen, more so these girls who are 14, are forced to marry old men, forced to have children and lead a life where they are viwee
Janitag
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story of the Muhsens, told by Miriam Ali; a mother whose two daughters Zana and Nadia were sold (by their father) to Yemen.

A story of modern day slavery and above all, a struggle of a mother who would do anything for her children.

A story I would recommend for everyone.
Sobia Be
Sad story!!
Jenni
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: around-the-world
A good book of love of family. As a book its a bit too low tempo for me, and maybe bit too many people. Anyway, its not a mere book but a true story. Interesting, but not a must-read book.
Lvcostello
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, giving an insight into the lives of Arab women kidnapped from the UK and married to men in Yemen. A remarkable true story that I highly recommend
Lia
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Μπορεί το βιβλιο να ειναι μια συγκινητική, αληθινή ιστορία ειναι ομως κακογραμμένο με πολλά κενά και πολλές ασάφειες.
Maria Kurtèn
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good book. Was interesting to read the mothers side after reading Sold
Angel
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Angel by: my mother
really love the way the author expressed her feelings and the cruelty she faced
Aravind