Start by marking “Linda Tressel” as Want to Read:
Linda Tressel

Linda Tressel

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

LINDA TRESSEL (1868) by Anthony Trollope was originally published anonymously, and was an attempt at a stylistic and thematic departure for the author. However, the voice of Trollope was unmistakable in this much more somber work, and the true authorship was ultimately unveiled.

The heroine, Linda Tressel, is pressured by her religious zealot aunt to marry an unpleasant man

Published February 1st 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Linda Tressel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linda Tressel

Paul
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trollope
3.5 stars rounded up to 4
I keep coming back to Trollope because I increasingly feel he is one of the better Victorian novelists and in my opinion he writes female characters better than any other Victorian male. This was one of his more experimental novels; he published it anonymously and it was much shorter than usual. Generally Trollope takes a chapter to introduce each of the main characters in a leisurely way. Here he does not have the space to do that and as a result some of the characteris
Elizabeth (Alaska)
I think Trollope did not write many tragedies, but this is one. Even in the works where the characters are saddened, there are humorous lines/characters to offset it. But not in Linda Tressel. Throughout his works, Trollope's characters are, for the most part, good church goers. In this he gives us a religous fanatic. Such a different Trollope we meet in Linda Tressel!

As the GR description says, Trollope published this anonymously. Could anyone mistake the classic Trollope prose? For me, it isn'
Laurel Hicks
Linda Tressel was part of Trollope's experiment to see if people would buy his books if he published under a pseudonym. I didn't buy this one. It has some fairy-tale elements to it, including its setting in Bavaria, specifically in Nuremberg, the city of Albrecht Durer and Hans Sachs, but it does not portend to be a happily-ever-after fairy tale. Trollope seems to me to be at his best when he stays in England among the people and groups he knows best. He makes some big mistakes here, including m ...more
Michael
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
No reason to dwell on the typical shortcomings found in "lesser" Trollope--the only reason to read this is if one is involved in some sort of race or personal challenge requiring the reading of all 47 of the master's novels. I'm happy to report both that this makes 47 for me AND that though this certainly falls into his lesser category, the man did manage to write 30-35 (or more) novels that are well worth reading and that this journey has been largely a delightful one (I actually lost the race ...more
Jacque Holst
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Trollope

So terribly, terribly sad. A lovely young woman hounded to the grave by her aunt, a deeply religious woman who in her love for the child wanted to see her securely married to a man fifty plus years her senior that she loathed. And the man who wanted her for her youth and her home.
Jessica
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthony-trollope
Anthony Trollope wrote this novel under a different name as an experiment on reputation and literary reception, but I think he tried to stack the odds by writing a novel that doesn't live up to his own standards.

His humor and style flourishes in his longer novels, where he includes many side-plots and characters to round out the story. Linda Tressel suffers from the lack of supporting plots and characters, but I guess the focus on the circular motion of the painful events in Linda's life forces
Lucy
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This went on and on and on, one dreary religiosity described after another. A useless wimp of a heroine and no sympathetic characters at all. There is very little of Trollope's spark here - I give you the best chunk, describing the revolting Peter:
"He was industrious, patient and honest with a sort of second-class honesty. He liked to earn what he took, though he had a strong bias towards believing that he had earned whatever in any way he might have taken, and after the same fashion he was true
David
Mar 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trollope
As he did with Nina Balatka, Trollope published this novel anonymously, as part of his "experiment" to see whether his works would sell if unaccompanied by his now famous name. And like Nina Balatka, this novel is set on the Continent, this time in Nuremberg. As he often does, Trollope takes aim at religious zealotry, the cause of much of the title heroine's misery.
Katrina
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Linda is a young woman. orphaned early in life and brought up by her rigidly Calvinistic aunt who tries to make her get married to a man much older than Linda is. This was a theme which seems to have been dear to Trollope's heart, he obviously didn't approve of such marriages. A great read.
Cynthia
Bertje58
Jun 10, 2011
Betsy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautifully crafted, as expected, but, oh!, such a sad and dreary story!
Mary
Katherine Younkin
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Exploring Anthony...: Linda Tressel 2 6 May 30, 2015 08:14AM
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope