Start by marking “The Bleeding Heart” as Want to Read:
The Bleeding Heart

The Bleeding Heart

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  461 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
By the author of the groundbreaking feminist novel The Women's Room, The Bleeding Heart is a compelling novel about the devastating power of marriage -- and the unexpected power of love. A love story for and about adults, it speaks to the hearts and minds of women and men everywhere.

Dolores and Victor are both successful, both Americans living alone in England. They meet
377 pages
Published 1980 by Summit Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bleeding Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bleeding Heart

All the angsty romance I’ve been reading lately has had one (well, probably myriad, but let’s stick to one for now) thing in common: the protagonists are young. Early to mid-twenties. Just starting out in life, overcoming childhood tragedy. Which has got me thinking: why not angst about older people?

And then The Bleeding Heart came up, and now I know why. Maybe. Angsty romance with older protagonists -- in this case, in their fifties, I think, so a little older than I was aiming for, but that’s
Daryl Leyesa
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Re-reading this book is my attempt to find a calm place. (there was a six-year interval)

Bleeding Heart evokes the hurt that shares space with our gender roles and identities; speaks of a war between men and women who may not even be aware of waging the war but ending up as victims anyway, of bloodless battles that leave them bleeding nevertheless. But are these really bloodless battles? There were women who bled in such battles; many bleed still. There were men who stained their hands with blood
Couldn't finish, very boring!
B the BookAddict
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: My mum (god bless her)
Shelves: fiction
My very forward thinking mother bought me this novel back in the mid 1980s. I loved it! I really should sit and read it again now that I'm older and life has had it's way with me:P 5★
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: open-road-media
The Bleeding Heart by Marilyn French is an Open Road Intergrated Media publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in conjunction with Retro Romance reading group in exchange for an honest review.
Dolores and Victor are two strangers on a train... Yes, that's how the book really starts out. They begin an affair that has a time frame attached to it. They will have a year together and then they will go about their lives as they had before the affair.
The relations
Julian Froment
I have to say that I did not get on very well with this book. I struggled to get through it. I enjoyed the location, Oxford, England, but found the rest of the book held little for me.

It was an unusual romance. In principle the idea was interesting, but I found the narrative tedious. There were extremely large sections that just seemed to be undirected rambling and whining about the past by the main characters, Dolores and Victor.

There was a lot of back story, presumably designed to indicate to
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hate is a strong word, but I really did not love this book and my desire to just be done with it already was in the forefront of my thoughts throughout.

I found this one a difficult book to read. For me, it read a bit like a handbook for man-hating and the main character/narrator came across as a spoiled and pretentious prat the majority of the time. The random poetic moments/mad ramblings did not add any reason for me to love this.

As I read, I kept hoping for one of those life changing moments
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Dolores meets Victor on a train, they seduce each other without a word being spoken, fall into bed and embark on an affair loaded with baggage. They fight the baggage of many relationships and Victor's marriage in their relationship while trying to live a lifetime in the year they have together before returning to their previous lives. They fight and they love intensely. They tear each other up and put each other back together again. Both have damaged lives filled with tragedy, pain and moments, ...more
Feb 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek deed mij op twee gedachten hinken. Aan de ene kant beschrijft op bijna lyrische wijze de affaire die de Amerikaanse Dolores in Engeland krijgt met een daar voor zaken verblijvende landgenoot. Mooi beschreven scenes vol passie en alleen al interessant omdat in de literatuur de liefde tussen personages met volwassen kinderen onderbelicht is.
French verpest haar boek echter met paginalang gezeur over hoe slecht en onbetrouwbaar mannen wel niet zijn. Dit tot op het punt dat je denkt: wat een
Emmy Soliman
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Zij heeft een beetje gelijk. Ik ben met haar eens, maar niet 100%.

Het is waar dat wij -de vrouwen- in een mannenwereld leven, maar zij is overgedreven. Het is niet zo zwart. Er zijn goede en slechte mannen, aan de andere kant zijn er goede en slechte vrouwen. Er zijn mannen die helemaal controle over hen vrouwen hebben, maar sommige vrouwen zijn altijd de lijders.

Nu kunnen de vrouwen hen eigen plek in het leven zelf kiezen. Het is afhankelijk aan haar, niet aan de mannen.
Bev Taylor
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
the least i say about this the better

basically a story of how women think about men and vice versa

dolores seems stuck in the stone age. everything is black or white, never grey if every woman thought like her nobody would get married!

Julie S
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in years but I really loved it. It's at its heart a love story about two adults who meet and connect. It's not your typical romantic book, but it has a lot of feminist elements and I really learned a lot from it.
Maria Ljung
Aug 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
The language in it, or rather the unmotivated swops between poetic aspirations and "normal novel" where quite horrible. I read it in swedish and I really do hope it was a bad translation. There's some interesting thoughts in it though.
A superb book. I was tempted to give it five stars, but I am very stingy with them. :)
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book about infidelity of adults.
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A feminist and an old-fashioned man meet in England and fall in love, all the while knowing he must return to his wife in a year's time.
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Boring and pretencious. Too much whining. With so much resentment, there was no room for love.
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat bloated (are there no editors anymore?) and dated. But a good story and her character development is nice.
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good love story.
Erma Aker
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book back in the 80's. Found it a succint and powerful summation of the relationship between men and women.
Mary Jane
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over and over. There are
no bad guys, just "good" people like us. Living the life they want but circumscribed by others. I want a Victor.
Oct 26, 2007 marked it as put-it-down-didn-t-pick-it-up-again  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donation-pile
This got a large proportion of 5 star reviews. I'm trying to get rid of stuff.
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
  • The Day After Forever
  • The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Puffball
  • Something To Remember Me By: Three Tales
  • The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility/Pride & Prejudice/Mansfield Park
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Bluebeard
  • Answer as a Man
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • City Life
  • Another You
  • The Angel on the Roof
  • Inside Mr. Enderby
  • Let it Come Down
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...