Start by marking “The Final Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Final Reckoning

The Final Reckoning

(The Deptford Mice #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  965 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The ghostly spirit of Jupiter has returned, more terrifying than before. Bent on revenge, he smothers the world in an eternal winter of snow and ice. The Deptford Mice are worried: the mystical bats have fled from the attic, and a new rat army is gathering strength. With food short and no sign of spring, the mice know there's a desperate struggle ahead. Who knows how many ...more
Published March 19th 2012 by Acorn Independent Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Reckoning

Katie
In The Final Reckoning the mice find themselves under threat not only from the army of rats that is massing under London but also from the mysterious eternal winter which has enveloped Deptford. Everything points to Jupiter being back and so the mice, together with the bats and the Starwife, must try to stay alive long enough to defeat him.

You may remember that one of my favourite things about Robin Jarvis’ writing is that he isn’t afraid to be dark even though he is writing for a younger age gr
Qt
Dark and violent, this was a fitting end to the trilogy. A few things seemed like they needed more explaining, but I guess that's why there is a prequel trilogy!
Kate
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-and-childrens
Ahh, my heart! A brilliant but tragic end to the series. Can't wait to move onto the prequels.
Sharon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and final book of the trilogy and the most scary and gory of them all I think. The thing about Jarvis is he is not afraid to kill off any of the characters - something fairly unique to children's writing - so you really don't know what is going to happen and who is going to survive. It will be up to individual parents if they think it is suitable for their child but I give the whole series four stars for story telling and vivid character and scene setting. They lost the last star just ...more
Logan Mcguire
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a perfect ending to a wonderful trilogy. This book is probably the best book in this series as it sends all the other books out of the park. One bad thing about the book though is that so many wonderful characters had to die off, but I guess it makes a bit of sense considering that the end of the world is pretty much happening. An endless winter is some way to end it all, and it definitely puts everyone in danger. Great. Loved it. Deserves five stars. You should read. It's wonderful.
Edda
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-lit
I had my reservations about reading this series because it's been a while since I read books with animal protagonists. But these characters are so interesting and likeable (or hateful) that you forget they're little mice and rats (and squirrels and bats too). It's really a great story about good vs. evil, friendship, loyalty, and hope (sound familiar? HP, anyone?). I highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy with a dark and supernatural twist.
Jailynn
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your cute, sweet Engilsh country forest creatures story. A more violent and grusome Rats of Nimh type book. No happy ending really but a realistic one, (that is if mice and rats and cats could talk to each other and form a real society and communities plus magic, yep, that's how it would be) Fun but dark book for pre-teens and up.
Dayna Smith
The final book in The Deptford Mice trilogy. The evil spirit of Jupiter has returned to encase the world in eternal winter. The Deptford mice feel his hatred. Then their allies are murdered, the bats flee, and the Starglass is stolen. Can Arthur, Audrey, Piccadilly, and Oswald save the world? Will any of them survive? A sad ending, but no battle against evil is won without cost. A great series!
Ariel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was definitaly an ending book. Characters kept dropping like flies. It did go back to the way the first book was written with the various storylines, and that's probably why it was better, because the whole series should be like that, making for a better adventure.
CarolinaQT
I think the author was running out of ideas at this point. Final book in the trilogy was rushed and not that entertaining really. I really enjoyed the first two though.
Desu Chan
I find this book boring...but i still don't know why I choose it. :P
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
The conclusion to this series sees things getting even darker, and those characters we've grown to love may not be safe from the writer's knife! A fantastic end to a fantastic series.
Virginia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion was very well written - for the first time in this series had had several plot lines going at once which I thought added nicely to the adventure and plot anticipation.
Donna
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fitting conclusion to the Deptford Mice trilogy. These books were really enjoyable.
harrie kd
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ust got reminded of these by the fact they're doing a live version at wimbledon theatre. it was one of my favourites as a kid, i read all these deptford mice books multiple times. great stuff!
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concluding story of the Deptford Mice and their dealings with Jupiter.
Alex
Gina Ball
Apr 10, 2013
stephanie M graham
Jan 21, 2017
  • Duncton Quest (Duncton Chronicles, #2)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, #3)
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • Fern Gully
  • The Magic World
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • Northern Lights: Bolvangar (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Tokyo Babylon, Vol. 5
  • The Demon Headmaster (Demon Headmaster, #1)
  • The Mayor of Central Park
  • Ratha and Thistle-Chaser (The Named, #3)
  • Daemonic
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Deptford Mice (3 books)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)
“There are many things in this unhappy world we cannot alter. We must learn to live with our lot and find peace with ourselves.” 1 likes
“Under the stars we are as one. Theirs is the power of countless years. They see our grief and know our pain, yet still they shine and their light gives us hope. From acorn to oak, but even the mightiest of oaks shall fall. Thus do we recognize the great wheel of life and death and life once more. We surrender our departed souls under the stars and may the Green gather them to him.” 0 likes