Start by marking “The Final Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Final Reckoning

The Final Reckoning

(The Deptford Mice #3)

The ghostly spirit of Jupiter has returned, more terrifying than before. Bent on revenge, he smothers the world in an eternal winter of snow and ice. The Deptford Mice are worried: the mystical bats have fled from the attic, and a new rat army is gathering strength. With food short and no sign of spring, the mice know there's a desperate struggle ahead. Who knows how many ...more
Published March 19th 2012 by Acorn Independent Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Reckoning

Start your review of The Final Reckoning
Katie
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990s
In The Final Reckoning the mice find themselves under threat not only from the army of rats that is massing under London but also from the mysterious eternal winter which has enveloped Deptford. Everything points to Jupiter being back and so the mice, together with the bats and the Starwife, must try to stay alive long enough to defeat him.

You may remember that one of my favourite things about Robin Jarvis’ writing is that he isn’t afraid to be dark even though he is writing for a younger age gr
Qt
Dark and violent, this was a fitting end to the trilogy. A few things seemed like they needed more explaining, but I guess that's why there is a prequel trilogy!
Jeremy
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark yet exciting and delightful. This series was highly original. May be written simply enough for children, but it has plenty of adult level disaster, death, and gore. If you like animal fantasies, then this series will please. (Book one is the slowest, with events in book two really getting interesting.)
Vivian
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad I took the time to finish this series. The trilogy was exciting, surprisingly violent, and gave me characters I could root for. But this last book felt a bit tired and thrown together, using played out villains from the earlier books and trying to pass them off as fantastic, god-like creatures. Some of the loose ends were tied up but not as neatly as could be hoped for, such as the Star Wife, Jupiter’s finale, the whole bat society thing. The first book was the best. The second book to ...more
Joanne
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't help but give it five stars. This book (the whole series!) was a childhood favourite and is probably responsible for how my tastes developed into adulthood.

But - and I can't stress this enough - I had forgotten just how much Robin Jarvis wanted to hurt these mice! This isn't your usual kids story, it's violent and cruel and downright graphic (for a kids book).
Adrianne Rosal
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final story in this trilogy and Im sad to see it end. All three books were amazing!
Kate
Ahh, my heart! A brilliant but tragic end to the series. Can't wait to move onto the prequels.
Sharon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and final book of the trilogy and the most scary and gory of them all I think. The thing about Jarvis is he is not afraid to kill off any of the characters - something fairly unique to children's writing - so you really don't know what is going to happen and who is going to survive. It will be up to individual parents if they think it is suitable for their child but I give the whole series four stars for story telling and vivid character and scene setting. They lost the last star just ...more
Logan Mcguire
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a perfect ending to a wonderful trilogy. This book is probably the best book in this series as it sends all the other books out of the park. One bad thing about the book though is that so many wonderful characters had to die off, but I guess it makes a bit of sense considering that the end of the world is pretty much happening. An endless winter is some way to end it all, and it definitely puts everyone in danger. Great. Loved it. Deserves five stars. You should read. It's wonderful.
Matthew Hodge
Well, that was just the mother of all finales. Villains come back from the dead, half our favourite characters are killed off, you get halfway through and have no idea how everything is going to sort itself out.

In short, it's Robin Jarvis at the top of his game and it's awesome. Don't read this unless you've read the first two because the long arc of the three books is brilliant. Still remains one of my favourite YA series of all times.
Edda
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had my reservations about reading this series because it's been a while since I read books with animal protagonists. But these characters are so interesting and likeable (or hateful) that you forget they're little mice and rats (and squirrels and bats too). It's really a great story about good vs. evil, friendship, loyalty, and hope (sound familiar? HP, anyone?). I highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy with a dark and supernatural twist.
Jailynn
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your cute, sweet Engilsh country forest creatures story. A more violent and grusome Rats of Nimh type book. No happy ending really but a realistic one, (that is if mice and rats and cats could talk to each other and form a real society and communities plus magic, yep, that's how it would be) Fun but dark book for pre-teens and up.
Dayna Smith
The final book in The Deptford Mice trilogy. The evil spirit of Jupiter has returned to encase the world in eternal winter. The Deptford mice feel his hatred. Then their allies are murdered, the bats flee, and the Starglass is stolen. Can Arthur, Audrey, Piccadilly, and Oswald save the world? Will any of them survive? A sad ending, but no battle against evil is won without cost. A great series!
Ariel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was definitaly an ending book. Characters kept dropping like flies. It did go back to the way the first book was written with the various storylines, and that's probably why it was better, because the whole series should be like that, making for a better adventure.
CarolinaQT
I think the author was running out of ideas at this point. Final book in the trilogy was rushed and not that entertaining really. I really enjoyed the first two though.
Desu Chan
I find this book boring...but i still don't know why I choose it. :P
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
The conclusion to this series sees things getting even darker, and those characters we've grown to love may not be safe from the writer's knife! A fantastic end to a fantastic series.
Virginia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion was very well written - for the first time in this series had had several plot lines going at once which I thought added nicely to the adventure and plot anticipation.
Donna
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fitting conclusion to the Deptford Mice trilogy. These books were really enjoyable.
harrie kd
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ust got reminded of these by the fact they're doing a live version at wimbledon theatre. it was one of my favourites as a kid, i read all these deptford mice books multiple times. great stuff!
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concluding story of the Deptford Mice and their dealings with Jupiter.
Annina | Blattzirkus
Briana Sanchez
Jan 06, 2020

• Witchery: Embrace the Witch Within
  • Skin
  • Tom Gates: Extra Special Treats ( . . . not) (Tom Gates, #6)
  • Excellent Excuses [and Other Good Stuff] (Tom Gates, #2)
  • Everything's Amazing [sort of] (Tom Gates, #3)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • The 104-Story Treehouse: Dental Dramas  Jokes Galore!
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • The Creeper Village
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Gather the Daughters
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Choose Your Own Story: Sneezy Steve and the Best Quest Ever: A Minecraft Adventure
  • Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic [at Some Things] (Tom Gates, #5)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)
  • Choose Your Own Story: The Minecraft Zombie Adventure
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Deptford Mice (3 books)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)