Start by marking “The Crystal Prison” as Want to Read:
The Crystal Prison

The Crystal Prison

(The Deptford Mice #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,153 ratings  ·  31 reviews
An innocent young mouse lies murdered in a moonlit field as the screech of an owl echoes across the ripening corn. The Deptford Mice have escaped the horrors of Jupiter's lair and sought refuge in the countryside. But once again they must face terrifying evil as they are embroiled in a series of horrible murders. At first the simple country mice suspect Deptford newcomer A ...more
Published March 19th 2012 by Acorn Independent Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Crystal Prison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crystal Prison

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Crystal Prison
Jess Pagan
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Sequel

Another great story following the loveable characters from Deptford. This time we go to Twit's home in the golden field and meet the field mice. This story felt a bit slow paced compared to the action packed first book in the series, but things start to ramp up as an evil returns to bring terror back to our characters. A great series I'm really enjoying, now onto the finale!
Katie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1980s
In this second installment in the Deptford Mice Trilogy, Audrey makes a deal with the mysterious Starwife that she will journey to the countryside, taking the mad rat Madam Akkikuyu with her, in exchange for the Starwife saving her friend Oswald’s life. The two of them set off with her brother Arthur and friend Twit to visit Twit’s family and stay with the fieldmice of Fennywolde. Once there, however, the countryside proves to be far less idyllic than Audrey had anticipated. Many of the country ...more
Qt
I think I liked this book even more than the first--but be warned that it is fairly dark, and sometimes violent. It starts right after the end of Book One, and reading "Dark Portal" first is probably a good idea.

******Small Spoiler********
I found it exciting and creepy--a lot of the scary stuff comes not only from magic and "horror" elements, but also from the mouse community's "mob mentality."
***********

It's also kind of sad towards the end--I'm a little concerned about how the trilogy will e
Vivian
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying the Deptford mice series overall and this second installment was a good read. I gave this 3 stars because i have a certain angst when it comes to religious fanaticism. I generally don't like to read where an innocuous set of beliefs suddenly becomes violently intolerant and all sorts of craziness ensues. So let me talk about what worked in this story - the way we treat our friends in that we can become careless and selfish with those that we love. I was heartened to see how Twit be ...more
Harold Smithson
I like that Jarvis writes darker material for children and doesn't shy away from themes like death, the occult and sacrifice, but his writing is lacking. Everything is laid out plainly for the reader and redundant descriptions abound. It's not enough that we get a reaction, we also get an analysis of that reaction, explaining that character x doesn't like character y because z just happened (after we watched character y doing z). There are additional pacing problems, particularly in the middle o ...more
Adrianne Rosal
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess life can be hard even for a mouse.
Tori
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this trilogy in middle school, and this book is still really engrossing years later.

I liked:
-everything about the relationship between the Starwife and her squirrelly minions
-that Jarvis lets his characters get themselves deeper into trouble through their own actions
-the general storyline

I did not like:
-some of the characterization just doesn't quite work for me. Alison Sedge, in particular, seems like someone that Jarvis just wants us to hate, and who is never really given room to be a
Dayna Smith
The second book in the Deptford Mice trilogy is darker and even more exciting than the first. A wonderful tale of the power of evil and redemption. Audrey, Arthur, and Twit are commanded by the Starwife to take Madame Akkikuyu to Twit's home of Fennywolde. But evil comes with them and affects everyone in the field. Mice are murdered, evil magic abounds, and the mice struggle to find the source of all their troubles. But have they found the real culprit? A great sequel, can't wait to read the thi ...more
Vincent Chen
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Vincent by: Me
Anthony Sanabria
this book was very boring i have to say the story line didnt really catch my attention even though i read i couldnt really tell you detail by detail fo what was going on in the book of what was going on with these mouses so i wouldnt reconmend this book to anyone who is really interested in reading a good book.
Logan Mcguire
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, I love this series. So much intensity and weird cults. So spooky. I adore this book and it's series and I did not expect that ending. Audrey was definitely having a hard time and that mouse brass maker gets on my nerves. Love it and highly suggest it. Madame Akkikuyu is a wonderful character and what happens to her is unexpected, but it fits the theme.
Alison
This is a dark book series in feeling and imagination. It does, though, have a wonderful story and adventure waiting to be discovered inside. I loved this book for the characters are animals and they live in societies like humans. This book gives personification to these animals and that is what I would like my students to learn more about.
Peter
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Book 2 better than Book 1, but still am bothered by Jarvis' deus ex machina style of story telling and the personality inconsistencies of his primary character Audrey (the mouse). Nevertheless, I'm going to pick up Volume 3.
Gemma Esprey
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as an early teenager and read everything of Robin Jarvis I could get my hands on. It was magical and mysterious. It will stay with me forever. I still have the old copies in my loft somewhere to give to my daughter.
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
This was the first of Robin Jarvis's books I read, and I still remember how genuinely dark and creepy it was. A great addition to the series with a very different setting that shows how adaptable Jarvis can be.
Sharon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The excellent second book in the trilogy carries on the adventures of the Deptford mice and their battle against the evil Jupiter. Some more fantastic characters are introduced, as is a whole new village. First rate storytelling.
Ariel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was AMAZING! But the storyline was kind of dull. Nothing happened for a while. It wasn't like the first one where various things were happeneing at once. No, it was just Audrey, Twit, Aruther. The book is REALLY slow at first, but it picks up at the end.
Beka
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it was an enjoyable story, something left me unsettled about this story. Obviously, the ending was left open for another book to come, but I really didn't like the "resolution" of so many of the plot points. Maybe I just want the ending to have been closer to happy?
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The highly recommended sequel to the Dark Portal.
Virginia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation of the saga - did not go where I expected it to at first - which is probably why I enjoy Jarvis' novels so much.
Donna
The story continues wellin the second book of this trilogy.
Jailynn
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I did like this one a little bit more than the first it was also kind of dark for kids.
harrie kd
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ust got reminded of these by the fact they're doing a live version at wimbledon theatre. it was one of my favourites as a kid, i read all these deptford mice books multiple times. great stuff!
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, a bit darker than Redwall or other rodent novels I like, but still follows the tradition of mice and rat stories, with heroes, villians, and hearts that change.
Wooga
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and morbid just the way I like it!
Kim SLG3
Apr 07, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
its so hard to understand this audio book at start I think I`m first time listening audio book
and if you guys repeat this audio book, you guys will be better to understand this book.
Kaylee
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 102. Heaven help us if this passes for engaging literature for children :/
Becky Boylett
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation to the dark portal, and i must say enjoyed it just as much.
Christopher
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first but it does set up the third book fairly well
Emy
Read aged 11/12

• The 1,000-year-old Boy
  • Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic [at Some Things] (Tom Gates, #5)
  • Choose Your Own Story: Sneezy Steve and the Best Quest Ever: A Minecraft Adventure
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Choose Your Own Story: The Minecraft Zombie Adventure
  • Fire Bringer
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood
  • Tides of the Dark Crystal (Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, #3)
  • Star Wars Adventures: Tales from Vader's Castle
  • AniMalcolm
  • The Hollow Ones
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Gil's All Fright Diner
  • Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)
  • Lou in Lockdown
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Deptford Mice (3 books)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)