Start by marking “Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1 (Return to Labyrinth #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  1,766 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Returning home after his initial visit to Labyrinth, Toby has grown up, noticing that many things come easily to him, even when he's under pressure. Little does he know that Jareth, the Goblin King, has been looking out for his best interests.
Published August 30th 2010 by Tokyopop (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Nadir
Jul 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
... I hate how the cover is so beautiful but the inside art is armature. The plot is predictable, the characters without personality - a disgraceful sequel to the movie.
Willow
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
If you're thinking about reading this comic because you're feeling nostalgic for the amazing move, DON'T.
Dian
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
One of the greatest disappointments of my life. And the cover is nothing but deceiving.
Julie Zantopoulos
I appreciated seeing some of my old favorite characters from the movie/book adaptation. I also appreciated that the art style of the goblins stayed true to what they were in Jim's original sketches and the movie. The manga vibe of the way the people were drawn seemed to contrast pretty starkly with how the goblins and the rest of the world were drawn, though.

The plot of this bind up was pretty slow, nearly non-existent, but it's fun being back in the world. Because I love the source material so
Juli
I have been a fan of the movie Labyrinth since it came out in 1986. Return to Labyrinth is a 4-part manga series from Tokyo Pop that continues the story. A couple years ago I was given the first 3 books in the series. Unfortunately, the person who gave me the books didn't have the final book. Because I made it a personal challenge in 2018 to read more books I want to read and more off my own shelves, I went online tonight and found a copy of Volume 4 for a good price. I am finally going to finis ...more
Nicola
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got all four of these books as an Xmas gift this year. I am a massive fan of the Labyrinth film and of Brain Froud's work, so when I first picked these up I was nervous as to whether these would be any good or not.
I have previously read bad reviews on these series and I'm not really into manga like graphic novels/comics.
As soon as I started reading them I couldn't put them down, I finished them within the week I think but then they are quite small. The illustrations are really lovely to look
Starfire
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmmmmm... not overwhelmed with delight at this first instalment in the series so I suspect I won't go on to read the rest of it. It's not particularly bad - just... didn't live up to what I was expecting, I guess.

Toby as a character is... I guess he's realistic as a teenaged boy who seems to think he's the centre of the universe and whines a lot (which, again I guess, is actually not that far off how Sarah was portrayed in the movie, although Toby seems to be even less sympathetic to me - I cou
Emma
Jan 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
With misleading beautiful art on the cover and weak, chibi-like art similar to the Kingdom Hearts spin-off manga on the inside, it's a dissapointment at first sight - especially if, like me, you bought it online. If you're thinking of buying it, try and look at it in a store first.

Looking past the art, there's the story - weak, rushed, and fanfiction-like, though no doubt a lot of fanfic writers could outdo this.

Just watch the movie again.
Whatchyareading
Oh my God, you guys, oh my God. I love Labyrinth, the movie. Have you seen it? Are you a fellow child of the ’80s like me? Then you love it, too. Of course you do.

Imagine my shock and amazement when I found out there was a manga series that was considered the official sequel to Labyrinth. And it came out five years ago! FIVE. Why didn’t someone tell me about this?

Well, if you were in the dark like me, this is me telling you about the official sequel. It’s a four-volume series and it’s essential
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I have had this book for a while to read and was excited to finally get to read it. I was a huge fan of The Labyrinth movie when I was a kid and was eager to revisit the story. The book ended up being a bit disappointing; both the story and illustration were okay but not great.

It’s been many years since Toby left the Labyrinth and he notices that things come easy to him, especially when he is under pressure or stressed...little does he know that Jareth, the Goblin King, has been helping him out
Tanya
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of the movies I'm interested in where this manga series is headed but so afraid of being disappointed.
Emily Luebke
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
LIGHT SPOILERS

This. Was. Tripe.

Especially if you are a fan of the movie, and I don't know why you would be reading this thing if you were not. I picked up 'Return to the Labyrinth' because I really enjoy the movie and was hoping whoever wrote this would take an idea that I had actually had myself for possible fanfic and run with it. 'What if Toby still had some right to the Goblin Kingdom as its price?' That sounds intriguing, right?

I think I might still have to write the fic to make up for this
Heidi-Marie
I will be honest and admit that I am a "Labyrinth" fan. Not a fanatic. But something about seeing this movie when I was 6 or 7 (and possibly with older people--so that might have added to the experience) has made an impression on me. I mean, a movie that can make me laugh, cry, fear, and have nightmares is a pretty wide-ranging movie. Nightmares not only from the guys who take of their heads, but David Bowie in leggings. Ick!!! David Bowie aside, I was intrigued as a little girl by the character ...more
Say
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read this years ago.... I'm a huge fan of the film (it is my childhood) I hated this bastardization with a passion....

First off the cover art is done by a very talented woman name Kouyu Shukei who did a lovely manga called Alichino that was left unfinished due to a crippling injury..... but then she went to do this.... and if you look in the pages of Alichino, you will see a beautiful, unique and detailed panels.... if you look in Return to Labryinth, you will see some really really lack luste
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact it's set years after the movie, Return to Labyrinth heavily references the movie in sequence, events, and lines. Toby seems far more capable of dealing with the mysterious labyrinth and its whimsical residents far better than his stepsister (who briefly appears) ever did.

In what really became too forced an effort to establish when the book (written twenty years after the movie came out) takes place (set about ten years after the events in the movie), current culture references a
Erin Cataldi
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
LOVED this! It was a little weird seeing this done as a manga but the artist did a great job in making many of the characters and goblins look the same (except for Sarah as an adult, she looks weird). Basically this story picks up when Toby is a teenager. Everything starts going wrong for him in school and one day a goblin runs in and steals his homework, enraged and not knowing what is going on he chases the creature through a small tunnel in his closet and ends up in the labyrinth where his ol ...more
Erin (PT)
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, sci-fi
This reads a lot like fan fiction; some of the wording is cribbed directly from the movie, though placed in different/new context and the characterization of the characters returning from the original seems shallow, taking their presentation from the movie as read without reading deeper. I also found it a little off-putting (though I'm not totally sure why) to see the world translated through a more Japanese sensibility. It wasn't bad, it just didn't fit with my perceptions of the Labyrinth worl ...more
Librariasaurus
I found this a little hard to follow and I would have loved to have seen this as a full size, full colour comic rather than as a manga, this format doesn't do justice to the colour and weirdness of the world.
The story was interesting and a great spin on the movie plot with new storylines thrown in to continue the adventure and interest into the next volumes.
Lastik
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecturas-2015
un manga que a muchos nostálgicos y enamorados de la película les gustara y/o les defraudará por partes iguales. Porque hay cosas que les traerá recuerdas pero las partes nuevas no encajan muy bien con ese mundo creado por Jim Henson.

Más sobre mi opinión en la reseña del blog
Allie
It's The Labyrinth, guys! MORE of THE Labyrinth.

It was fun seeing cameos from the movie, as well as reading lines from the movie. Just fun. Kinda wish it was in color, but that's forgivable because color comics are harder to read. (Or is that just me??)
LaIrish
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
El dibujo podría mejorar mucho :(
Hannah
You know, from the reviews I expected this to be a lot worse than it was. The art for the human(ish) characters isn't great, which is especially jarring for Jareth, but the story is actually pretty interesting, if a bit too fast-paced. Teenage Toby returning to the labyrinth (view spoiler) is a great idea for a story, and the goblin kingdom retains a lot of its fun quirkiness. This would actually make a pretty good story for a film sequel (if Bowie w ...more
Katy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a weird little project. I discovered it because I raided my library's catalog for anything Labyrinth related when I was feeling nostalgic one day. Written 20 years after the movie's release, I'm not really sure who the intended audience is. It certainly has enough little throwbacks to movie lines and the same general kitschy feel of the original film. The plot is nothing particularly amazing at this point, but it feels enough like the movie (and has enough fan service) to keep it from be ...more
Charlotte Tesla
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
W here to begin.

1. The art was basic at best. The cover is deceiving and looks nothing like it does on the inside.
2. The plot was half assed. Sorry but it was. I could see why a very very very young child would enjoy it. But I wouldn’t recommend for anyone over the age of 8.
3. The characterization was nothing that was in the film so everything is OOC (out of character) and not true to the labyrinth name.

Do yourself a favor. Don’t read it.
Eden
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Toby, now a teenager, seems to have things come easily to him. He gets what he wants and that's because the Goblin King has been looking out for his best interest.

Have wanted to read this for a while because I love the movie. Started out a bit slow, but definitely got really interesting. Loved seeing some characters from the movie. I'll be continuing this manga to see what happens next.
Julie Akeman
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FUN FUN FUN!!! And with this Manga artwork this would be nice to see it done as an animae. I would love to see it as like live action as before but who could play the Goblin King...I suppose they can replicate his face like they did in recent films to bring back a character or have the character back in their youth like in Rogue One. I do love this graphic series.
Jes
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
So I have a had time reading graphic novels, but when I did sit down and read it, I liked what I was seeing so far. I enjoyed where the series picked up and if I was the kind of person who could read graphic novels, I'd probably finish it but sadly, I can't. It's hard for me to absorb all the pictures and texts and the contexts to each other.
Saga Norén
I've expected much more from this manga. The cover was the better on it, but the rest, wasn't what I've expected. Ugly characters desings, no plot at all, don't seems to be the plot of the movie. Dissapointing, a lot....
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is in the Manga style but not the real deal. While Sarah makes an appearance the plot revolves around Toby, who is now a High Schooler. It is fun to be back in the Labyrinth but there isn't enough Jareth!
Heather
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I am reserving judgement until I read more.
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Bizenghast, Volume 6 (Bizenghast, #6)
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • The Serpent Awakes (Faerie Path: Lamia's Revenge, #1)
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • Princess Ai: Lumination (Princess Ai, #2)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • The Lion Vrie (The White Lion Chronicles #2)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn, Volume 1 (Princess Ai, #4)
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • A Cut Above (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #3)
  • Kami-Kaze, Volume 1
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 18
I make digital games & comics, but my heart belongs to good old-fashioned analog books.
More about Jake T. Forbes

Return to Labyrinth (4 books)
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 3
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 4

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99