Start by marking “Superman vs. Hollywood: How Fiendish Producers, Devious Directors, and Warring Writers Grounded an American Icon” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Superman has fought for nearly seven decades to conquer radio, television, and film—but his battles behind the scenes have proved a far greater threat than any fictional foe. For the first time, one book unearths all the details of his turbulent adventures in Tinseltown.

Based on extensive interviews with producers, screenwriters, cast members, and crew, Superman vs. Holly
Published February 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Superman vs. Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman vs. Hollywood

Brad Foster
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Competent and well researched. Learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes drama of all the various Superman projects, those that we have seen and those that we never will see.
Zach Koenig
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered whey there is a Richard Donner "cut" of Superman II? Perhaps, as a child, you were thrilled by the adventures of Gerard Christopher's "Superboy" before it suddenly vanished from the airwaves leaving you utterly confused? Wondering why Tom Welling's Clark Kent may never wear the traditional red/blue suit and fly? All those answers, and many, many, more, are found in this book.

Basically, this book focuses on all the media (film, radio, TV, theater) incarnations of the iconic
Will Stape
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and informative history of the Man of Steel from his early print days, through radio and TV, up to Bryan Singer's movie'Superman Returns' - starring Brandon Routh as Clark 'Kal-El' Kent.

More than merely another comic encyclopedia or simple fact guide, the authors trace one of the most well known, popular and filmed super heroes in American pop culture history and provide tons of facts on how Superman struggled against real foes in the entertainment industry. From the quaint Superman movie
Robert Wright
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tv, film
Good, fun treatment of the subject. Obviously needs an update to bring it current.

Other than that, my only quibble is that its facts are sometimes shaky. Assertion and hearsay are presented as truths and old chestnuts that have been repeated are accepted as facts, even when they've been long disproved. In particular, the incidents around George Reeves and his appearance in From Here to Eternity in a non-Super role. No cuts were made based on public reaction at a preview screening. Director Fred
Bekki Suorez
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The man is someone who will list Superman as his own personal Jesus, so I wasn't too surprised to fid this on the shared kindle account.

As a burgeoning (but by no means comprehensive) comics fan myself, and a passing fan of Superman, I started reading out of boredom - which quickly turned to genuine interest. The evolution of the comic, and how the character and story has been portrayed throughout the years, quickly pulled me in.

There were side mysteries and the like as well, which intrigued me.
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a really fun dishing of the dirt about just about every Superman project ever. Most notable for its long discussion of the total insanity surrounding the Donner/Lester movies and the detailing of various failed Superman projects through the 90s. I never thought I'd be so relieved to hear about failed Superman projects, but a movie where Luthor is a CIA agent assigned to hunt Kryptonians...and then in a twist we discover HE IS ACTUALLY KRYPTONIAN...yeah, I can live without that. It's ...more
Marco G
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book; great retelling of the story of how Supes was been brought to radio, the small screen, and the big screen in spite of some really greedy, money hungry hollywood types with little appreciation for the Superman mythos. The pages covering everything post Superman IV were my favorite and the book is a walk down memory lane as many of the things covered were broken on aint it cool news.com from 1999-2006. As an avid reader of the site I found myself thinking "Wow I remember reading that ...more
Joel Griswell
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Terrific look not only into the history of the Man of Steel on the screen from his origins to now, but also a brutal look into Hollywood's corrupt system, tales of greed, extortion, lies and outright stupidity, not to mention insult upon insult to this American icon, a great look behind the curtain our popular media.
William
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite some detail goofs (referring to kids "watching" The Adventures of Superman...the radio series; asserting that nemeses created in the 1940s were products of "acid-trip" 1950s and 1960s), this is a nicely researched and written study of the iconic character's strangely troubled history with television and movies.
Craig
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Die-hard Superman fans who don't know everthing about the movies/TV
Recommended to Craig by: Mark Millar
Some interesting tidbits are buried in here (Jor El as a briefcase?! The old fella out of Keeping up with the Kardashians was nearly Superman?!) but it's let down by having to deal with the totality of Superman at the movies/on TV, so for example the crappy Superboy TV series gets the same amount of time dedicated to it as Superman II.
P.M. Bradshaw
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book while doing research for a class I was to give, Graphic Novels 101 (for OLSSI: the Ohio Library Support Staff Institute).

It was an excellent read. From the comic books, to the movies, to the radio show, to the TV shows, there seems to be no end to interesting stories about all the incarnations of Superman. If you're a fan of any of these, you'll find it an enjoyable read.
Chris
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
An entertaining look at the various radio, TV and film incarnations of the Man of Steel, and the occasional idiocy of the people trying to make these things. This book offers some jaw-droppers I didn't know about the making of the original Superman movies as well as the development hell plaguing the most recent clunker.
Matt
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
definitely a worthy read, if only for the casual superman fan to learn more about his on-screen exploits. toward the end, it gets a little slow as one then another actor/writer/director are shuffled into and out of focus, but still recommendable.
Bill Walsh
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Learned a few new things, but not much I didn't already know. The writing itself needed alot of work. In fact, the person who checked this book out of the library before me actually made corrections to all of the grammatical errors with a pencil.
Samantha Hartke
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest telling of the neverending battle to bring Big Blue to the small and big screens. Packed with interesting trivia. For the uninitiated, a good tell-all of Hollywood machinations.
Michael Brown
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book about the travails of bring Superman to life
Mark
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well-written overview of the radio/tv/film history of Superman... it's a wonder that comic book movies get made at all.
Gabriel Sanders
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from page one.
Braxton
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew everything about the behind the scenes drama of the Superman franchise, but this book showed me otherwise. Surprisingly hard to put down for a non fiction book.
Todd Bristow
  • Cult Movies: The Classics, the Sleepers, the Weird, and the Wonderful
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture
  • Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th
  • My Year of Flops: The A.V. Club Presents One Man's Journey Deep into the Heart of Cinematic Failure
  • Droidmaker: George Lucas and the Digital Revolution
  • These Are The Voyages: TOS Season Two (These Are the Voyages, #2)
  • Young Orson: The Years of Luck and Genius on the Path to Citizen Kane
  • If They Move . . . Kill 'Em!: The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap
  • Gods and Monsters: Movers, Shakers, and Other Casualties of the Hollywood Machine
  • Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 2