Start by marking “Wild Berries” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Wild Berries

Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Wild Berries

Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Berries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Berries

Start your review of Wild Berries
Lena Bokogianni
Είναι μια ιδιάζουσα περίπτωση αυτό το βιβλίο. Ξεκινάει με έναν επίλογο και τελειώνει με έναν πρόλογο. Αυτές οι 2 ενότητες όμως, δε σχετίζονται με τις σπονδυλωτές ιστορίες που ξετυλίγονται στο σώμα του βιβλίου. Επίσης παρεμβάλλονται και 2 κεφάλαια που πάλι δεν συνδέονται με την ιστορία.

Η ιστορία λοιπόν έχει να κάνει με τη ζωή κάποιων ανθρώπων στη Σιβηρία. Με τις αναμνήσεις τους από τον πόλεμο, με τη ζωή στην επαρχία την περίοδο του καθεστώτος, με την αντίθεση στη ζωή των ανθρώπων που έζησαν την
Tanya Kuznetsova
If you are interested in what life was like ‘back in the USSR’, but have never lived there or were born too late to remember anything meaningful, this book is for you. It paints a broad picture, with a multitude of characters, some of which are fascinating in their authenticity, while others are incredibly boring and two-dimensional. The middle part of the book where the settings change to the then Leningrad is by far the weakest. The dialogue feels far-fetched and the sentiment of the old gener ...more
Jonfaith
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mother-rus
Page 200 of Yevtushenko's Wild Berries was reached last night before the soft tumble into dreamseas. The novel has been quite vivid both to location and to character. as to the latter, it reminds me of Turgenev's Sketches, tiny knots of human sensibility brushing one another in fornt of the hearth. The scenery of the tiaga must be amazing, breeding a not-necessarly nietzchean sense of the eternal return. It becmae quite clear that my travels northwward in upper Michigan and southern Sweden were ...more
Eva D.
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolute gem! -- it's a perfect blend of humor and heady stuff. Standalone quotes speak for themselves better than any summary could:

"Sorrow should make you think, not drink. You think I'm not one of you because I don't lie around in a ditch. I'd be better off if you had stolen my watch, now you're stealing my time."

"I'm not afraid to die. But I'm afraid you'll die an idiot."

"People should live forever, that way people who start out stupid might get wiser. For so many people there is nothing
Jane E
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, russian
More of a series of interlinked stories rather than a true novel. While the translation was literate and I assume this was also true of the original Russian, the narrative jumps around in time and occasionally includes a chapter that seems to have little or no link to anything else. This detracted from what is a fascinating geographical region and produced a story that felt as though it should have been better done. On the plus side, the description of the taiga is very good and there is some lo ...more
Dsinglet
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A very uneven book, with interest and brilliance here and there, followed by tedious encounters of men speaking to each other about war, poetry etc. There was little to hang the story together. It seemed to be a Siberian travelogue. Some stories and descriptions of the simple life on the land were interesting. Other parts where the men discussed mining and drinking, not so much.

I read this because the author is a well known Russian poet and I was interested in learning more about Siberia. Amusin
Giselle
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Readers must be willing to go on a wild journey with the writer who moves from a cosmonaut's reflections to the central story of a Berry Commissioner and various characters in Siberia including an innocent farm girl and a group of surveyors and back to cosmic thought. The author cared very much about freedom and this was published before the end of the USSR. You must be able to place the writing in the political context in which it was written.
Jean
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Yevtushenko was a celebrated Ukranian poet. His prose reads like poetry. The book is a series of vignettes with no overarching plot. At first I was enchanted with the writing. But as I progressed I found it more and more difficult to keep the various characters and their relationships sorted out.
Florence
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it
The kulaks (rich peasants) are being persecuted in the Soviet Union. I carried this book with me to the USSR. It's a cynical look at the 'worker's paradise' in which your fate can depend on denouncement by a casual enemy.
Anna Hopkins-arnold
I loved the rich sensual descriptions in this book. It's so nice to read a novel written by a poet. And the story was compelling, too. A great book for relaxing and getting away from it all. Now that I think about it, I'm putting it on the list to read again.
Tamara
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
in love with this magnificent book i can't
Jim
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Basically a series of vignettes written, well, by a poet. Nice, but they tired me out. It also felt dated.
Lichenia Green
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Powerful book, beautiful prose, a little bit disjointed. Probably needs another read through.
Jax Horvath
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
re-reading and re-enjoying with new perspectives of course; Great story, very Russian, from cold war era, not political.
Aliceu

• The Myth of Deliverance: Reflections on Shakespeare's Problem Comedies
  • Nausea
  • Unicorn Variations
Евгений Евтушенко
Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Yevtushenko (Russian: Евгений Александрович Евтушенко; born 18 July 1933 in Zima Junction, Siberia) is a Soviet and Russian poet. He is also a novelist, essayist, dramatist, screenwriter, actor, editor, and a director of several films.

News & Interviews