Start by marking “Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry” as Want to Read:
Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Explores the meaning of Judaism in America today, concluding that beneath its prosperous exterior, American Jews are bitterly divided along sectarian and political lines.
Hardcover
Published August 10th 2000 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Jew vs. Jew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jew vs. Jew

Janet
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a novice on the subject of Jews. I’ve always known that Jesus was a Jew and that makes us all family of a sort, Christians and Jews. I believe in supporting Israel. I’ve often had a Jewish doctor. I have Jewish friends. It was the Israeli National website that I turned to on 9/11 to gain insight on how to protect my family from assorted terrorist weapons. One of my favorite documentaries is Raid on the Reactor: http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...#

I find it comforting to know that Israe
Reb
Jul 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jew-ish
the author thinks that Orthodox and liberal Judaism are on a course for serious schism, which he proves through a series of anecdotes (nicely written, quite generous in portrayal of some people who act like jerks) about clashes between "traditionalists" and "revisionaries." I use scare quotes of course because the "traditionalists" are only interested in their received version of tradition, and "revisionists" often have many faith-based non-negotiables.

anyway, he takes us through several intract
Harold Citron
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, jews
I came late to the party for this book, but the anecdotal stories continue even beyond the writing. Despite the author's thesis, the plural of anecdote does not equal data. And while individual stories will, if not repeat those already written, they do rhyme, but are very similar to many others, especially those dealing with "changing neighborhoods". You see this in Brooklyn, during the recent fight over bike lanes and a new eruv for a group of Modern Orthodox Jews in a traditionally Chassidic n ...more
Simcha Wood
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jew vs. Jew provides a well-investigated and engaging account of the various cultural and theological struggles that have arisen within Judaism, and particularly within the Jewish-American community. Freedman brings his narrative and investigative journalistic skills to bear on a series of anecdotes that explore such issues within the Jewish community as conversion standards, intermarriage, the role of women in public ritual, the future of Israel and the Palestinians, and inter-denominational co ...more
Samantha
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very useful look at how the different strains of Judaism have evolved in the U.S. And their relationship to Israel. Immediately after reading this book I have a better understanding of some of the news coming out of Israel. I selfishly wish this book could be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to keep me up-to-date. This is not a comprehensive text, nor does it try to be. But it shows how these divisions have grown through telling specific stories of American Jews, their backgrounds an ...more
Robert Wechsler
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very well written look at a variety of situations where the views and interests of secular and religious Jews have collided in the U.S. or, at least, among American Jews. One even takes place in New Haven, soon after I moved to the area. It grew out of an issue at Yale involving co-ed living arrangements.

Freedman is a first-rate storyteller, especially good at portraits that are done not physically, but professionally and philosophically. He gets way deeper than most journalism. I look forward
Mintzis
A well done study of what divides Jews from each other. The case studies, with one exception, were well chosen to illustrate the problem. I wasn't that taken, however, with the intro to each study and the wrap up.
Jon
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Helpful in understanding the various divisions within 20th Century Judaism in the U.S. I had no previous knowledge of American Judaism before reading this book, and this book was a good way to begin learning.
Linda
Nov 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book examines Jewish identity in America. It describes the struggles between Orthodox communities and less observant Jewish communities. It gives descriptions of the Jewish environment in a few cities in the US (unexpected one's like Salt Lake City, Clevland).
Abigail Cohen
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great title, but that's about it.
Donna
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbiased and impartial treatment of the tensions between the various spectrums of American Jewish community.
Heyden
Sep 20, 2009
Jane Mendelsohn
Jan 25, 2016
Betty
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2010
Apr 08, 2016
Wendyloraine
Jun 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Samuel G. Freedman is a columnist for The New York Times and a professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. He is the author of seven acclaimed books, most recently "Breaking The Line," and has been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.
More about Samuel G. Freedman...