Start by marking “Our Ladies of the Tenderloin: Colorado's Legends in Lace” as Want to Read:
Our Ladies of the Tenderloin: Colorado's Legends in Lace

Our Ladies of the Tenderloin: Colorado's Legends in Lace

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Distributed by the University of Nebraska Press for Caxton Press
Linda Wommack brings Colorado's soiled doves to life through in-depth research and never before published photographs of the women that were so often overlooked and yet played such an integral part of the pioneer lifestyle of early Colorado.
Published April 1st 2005 by Caxton Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Ladies of the Tenderloin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Ladies of the Tenderloin

Becky
Sep 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
This author needed a good editor. While the material was interesting, the writing seemed...childish.
Anne
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The breadth of the research is impressive and the stories are very interesting. However, like several other reviewers have mentioned, the writing is very rough. There are quite a few spelling and grammar errors and the flow is very choppy. Usually passive voice doesn't bother me that much, but this book goes overboard with it. Overall it is an interesting book to read if you can get through the writing.
Melanie Unruh
Interesting reading, especially as enrichment to my deep interest in Colorado history. Although the lives - and eventual outcomes - of the demimonde are shrouded in mystery, I am impressed with that Wommack *did* turn up about these ladies. The loose ends are tantalizing and beg for some curious soul to do some sleuthing.

I only wish that some of the lavish parlour houses on Market Street had survived.

On the flip side, this book could have used some really careful editing. The typos are pretty
Stan Pedzick
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sadly this could have been a way better book if it had simply been laid out differently, or had been a wiki.

One way to get so many pages into the book is the cutting and pasting of things over and over again as the various woman cross paths. Instead of the by city layout, it might have been better to either wrote it as a timeline, visiting all of the woman as they live and die. This would have put everything into context as well as removed to filler and repetition rife in its current format.
Audra
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious at times and very informative. I thoroughly enjoyed this in-depth look at the ladies that were just as important to the development of the West as the men they served. I particularly enjoyed the tales involving the madams with power in their own right. I picked this up at my local library in Colorado and after hearing the giggles and the down-right howling laughter, my husband also read and thoroughly enjoyed it. Made for interesting dinner conversation.
Aug 03, 2017